1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk in front end, is it radius arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM
wstone
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk in front end, is it radius arm bushings?

I drive a 2006 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab.
I think the radius arm bushings on my truck are bad. I get a clunk going over bumps on the left side in the front end. I'm assuming it is the bushing in the rear of the radius arm, but I haven't taken it apart yet because I want to have the parts in hand. I ordered a bushing on eBay, part number 5C3Z3B203AA. But it looks too small when I hold it up to it. Does anyone have the part numbers for the radius arm bushings?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing for the clunking in the front end? I just did the ball joints with Moog both sides top and bottom. The shock bushings look alright. I have replaced the front sway bar bushings thinking that was it. What else could it be?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wstone
I drive a 2006 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab.
I think the radius arm bushings on my truck are bad. I get a clunk going over bumps on the left side in the front end. I'm assuming it is the bushing in the rear of the radius arm, but I haven't taken it apart yet because I want to have the parts in hand. I ordered a bushing on eBay, part number 5C3Z3B203AA. But it looks too small when I hold it up to it. Does anyone have the part numbers for the radius arm bushings?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing for the clunking in the front end? I just did the ball joints with Moog both sides top and bottom. The shock bushings look alright. I have replaced the front sway bar bushings thinking that was it. What else could it be?

Front sway bar bushing are pretty stout but they could wear.

Linkage on front sway bar is far more likely to wear, you'll here them clunk as the suspension articulates across an uneven surface like driving out of a driveway at an angle.

Track bar is ver common, this the linkage between the frame and the front axle that keeps the axle centered under the truck. Wear of the bushings is commonly referred to as 'death wobble' as the truck tends to shift lanes at high speed without notice, as it is easily influenced by something as simple as a cross wind.

You can jack up the front axle so the tires are suspended, get a 2x4 under the tire and lift upwards, any movement is probably the axle to spindle ball joints.

Spin the tire while jacked up, a clunking is most likely the the wheel hub nearing end of life.

While jacked up, go stand on the brake pedal and then release and then spin the tire, a dragging sound is either the caliper pins needing attention or the brake hose needing to be replaced.

While jacked up, try to move the steering linkage while watching the ball joints of the steering linkage. Ford is pretty proud of those linkage arms.

Lastly watch the pitnum arm for movement which would be the steering box needing to be replaced. REDHEAD rebuilds them, I just one from them 8 months ago and it is working great.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if any of that is off then your alignment is off and the parts need to be replaced before the alignment can be corrected.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I went through this and replaced lots of things on my 08 before I found out the problem was the steering box! I never suspected it as the truck steered straight and true with no play in the steering wheel. One mechanic had me wiggle the steering wheel, truck shut off, while he placed his hand on the steering box. He could feel and hear a click click as I quickly sawed the steering wheel back n forth. I still didn't believe it was the box until I had a cordone box installed. My truck went from great steering to excellent and best of all,the clunk was gone.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 PM
wstone
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are all excellent suggestions. I didn't think about the steering box, but I guess it does have 140,000 miles on it. But I will check those when I get home this evening. Thank you!