6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Weird sound coming from the middle of the dash, towards the bottom, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird sound coming from the middle of the dash, towards the bottom, any ideas?

Today I was sitting in the driveway, key on, engine off, after driving the truck a while, playing with my tuner. I keep hearing this noise from behind the dash, like its coming from behind the pull out cupholder area. Its not a buzzing noise, but sounds like a coffee pot running or something. I have the air con heater system off, the radio off, and it still makes this noise. Any ideas? Whats behind the cupholder area to cause this? Thx!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Possibly coming from the frame rail? Near the fuel pump....

Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
ill take a listen, but it sounds like its right behind the dang cupholder. Drives me nuts. Ill see if I can record the sound and try to post it on here......

Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
My 2008 is quiet, even while I play with the mini max.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 PM
whitesdford
Elder User

Hope the video uploads.....

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Sounds like a Ham operator sending Morse code, or a mouse.

Sorry, no idea.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
i know, drives me nuts hearing that sound. I went outside the truck, just a high pitch whine im assuming from the fuel pump. ugh......

Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess would be blend door malfunction....your drivers side hot/cold temp blend door is right above the transmission hump behind the cup holder.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sxrfun
My guess would be blend door malfunction....your drivers side hot/cold temp blend door is right above the transmission hump behind the cup holder.
Yep, gets my vote. Had the same problem on an explorer. Hope this one is easier to fix.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
i listened again, that noise is coming from the upper right of the transmission hump behind the dash, about where the blend door activator is coming from.

My question is why would the blend door actuator make noise when the air con and heating system is shut off? Is does not make noise when you first start the truck. Wouldnt the motor/actuator shut off if the air con heating system is totally off?

I dont notice any heat or cold issues when putting the system in auto mode on the drivers side. Is the lower actuator the drivers or passenger side?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
The drivers side temperature blend door is the one above the trans hump......Sometimes when these malfunction they can't determine their correct positioning...so they are constantly moving back and forth searching....this makes the clicking sound you hear.....there's a test you can do with your electronic heat controls which will bring up a code telling you if this blend door is the problem....i'll try and dig it up for ya in a bit.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
here ya go.....

HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test
The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous
DTCs can be cleared when exiting the HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the HVAC
Module — EATC — Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.
• The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or
vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
• The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault)
DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C-38°C (40°F-100°F) when carrying out
the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.
• The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test
is activated.
• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display
will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs
present. If DTCs are present, the HVAC module — EATC will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
• If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the HVAC Module DTC Chart and follow the ACTION for each
DTC given.
• If a condition exists, but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or
Incorrect Operation.
• To exit the self-test and retain all DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the self-test and retain all DTCs.
• To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the self-test and all DTCs will be cleared.
• Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON for at
least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
• Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.
HVAC Module — EATC — Retrieve Continuous DTCs
The HVAC module — EATC will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.
• Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops
when retrieving continuous DTCs.
• To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the recirc button within 2 seconds. All
vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the Celsius
symbol (°C) on the HVAC module — EATC display. Record all DTCs displayed.
• If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the HVAC Module DTC Chart and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
• If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart — Climate Control Systems condition: The EATC System is Inoperative, Intermittent
or Incorrect Operation.
• To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the retrieved continuous DTCs
mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
• To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all
continuous DTCs will be cleared.
• Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON
for at least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
• Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Thanks!!! Holy cow thats awesome, ill try this!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:04 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Here's the error codes for the blend doors....
B1003 Mode Door Circuit Failure....defrost, floor, vent selector blend door.....
B2266 Left Side Blend Door Circuit Failure...drivers side hot/cold temp
B2267 Right Side Blend Door Circuit Failure..passenger side hot/cold temp

Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Okay, did the hold the buttons and run through the self test. No codes thrown. All noise is gone. Went and started it the next am, the dang noise is back. Put it back in diagnostic mode, no codes, no more noise. Ten minutes later, the noise is back. Air system is totally off, no fan no temp, nada. Stupid noise....now what?

Quick Reply: Weird sound coming from the middle of the dash, towards the bottom, any ideas?