Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Your opinion on steel building for the garage?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:04 PM
PamMech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your opinion on steel building for the garage?

Hi,

We are looking for a bigger space for the truck workshop. We searched for space but couldn't get one that was strategically placed for business or that fits our budget.

We are having a plot which is in the best spot of the town. I thought constructing a garage there would be the best. The steel garage buildings are popular in Ontario these days. It will be less costly and reliable. I hope that would be ideal.

Our current workshop is wood and concrete. Many workshops operate in steel buildings. Anyhow, is there anything that we should take care for the steel garage building? I would appreciate your suggestions.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not an authority, interested in other member's input.

Had a 20X16 steel building installed and found far too much condensation collects and until I find a solution of insulating the interior it's like working in a rain forest during the winter months.

I would like to hijack the thread to add what other member's used to insulate?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Wouldn't that spray foam insulation that they use in new construction, work for you? Seems to me that it would.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ventilation will help with condensation as well.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Air flow would help with condensation.

I have worked in many steel buildings since I could ever remember. Depending on your location, if you are in an area where it snows, make sure the roof can handle heavy snow loads. We had a blizzard four years ago that took down 38 year old steel Morton building.

Use plenty of insulation in the walls and ceilings. Also, I would line the inside with white steel like that which is used outside.

Also, go a big as you can afford. It seems space runs out eventually.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Thought I would wait for members to respond to the original topic 'steel building' before making any comments regarding insulation?

Considering same/similar type material mentioned in the link below. Cut out and frame-in opening for vent fan. Since the corners and ceiling are louvered perhaps use a foam type sealant on the openings before applying the material??

Metal Building Insulation: High R, Vapor and Radiant Barrier

Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Most people are concerned with insulating a steel building to combat condensation in colder weather. You also need to consider what type of work you are going to be doing in the building in the summer months. Steel buildings on a sunny summer day can become a pizza oven!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 844 Likes on 763 Posts
I know a couple in upstate NY where spray foam was used to insulate. If used it should be covered with a "fire proof" material.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:30 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
I've wired and installed heating and cooling in a few all metal buildings and if you buy the insulation package condensation is eliminated but if you leave the roof metal bare you will have condensation. What works best is have the insulation package installed ceiling and walls them finish the interior walls with the same metal that's used on the exterior, you don't have to go all the way up the wall just as far to protect insulation.

Second note, the best way to heat a shop is with Infloor heat, I installed it in a few and it works great, if ever build a new one that's the way it would be heated.

Denny

Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I've wired and installed heating and cooling in a few all metal buildings and if you buy the insulation package condensation is eliminated but if you leave the roof metal bare you will have condensation. What works best is have the insulation package installed ceiling and walls them finish the interior walls with the same metal that's used on the exterior, you don't have to go all the way up the wall just as far to protect insulation.

Denny
Regret topic did not come up earlier, 6 weeks ago took sheet metal from 12x12 storage shed to the recycle bin.

Figure from center of roof to floor is approx. 20'. There are (4) 5' spans, imagine best to purchase 6' rolls and cut to fit rather than 4'? Considering rather than go with foam filler on the 4 corrugated ends go with rigid corrugated shaped foam filler and run them from floor across ceiling to the opposite floor, seem to recall seeing them in hardware store in 6' lengths? Figure probly take 2 weeks to remove 'stuff' and only a weekend to install?

Still in the 'have not decided' phase, if go the route noted in the a prior post; I estimate cost to insulate, not factoring in the cost of enclosing the insulation, approx. $1000 plus: 2 roles of insulation @ $350 ea., $50 for 6 rolls of double sided tape, foam end filler, etc.? If results is that I can work in the building during winter months then IMO well worth it!! Meantime, will continue looking into other less expensive options?