1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Diesel still in oil, even with e-fuel. Am I going to die?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Well I've had a similar issue with my truck for a long time now was better when I installed my new motor for a while but it seems like it's back I've changed my ipr with good one made no difference haven't changed icp yet on this motor im stumped but it is rather annoying

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So when driving back home tonight on the highway, I noticed that the indicator LED I had for my glow plugs was lightly dimmed. When I let off the pedal upon exiting the highway, the light went off.

I did some testing in my driveway and saw that the LED lights up brighter depending on how hard I press the go pedal. The LED is wired from the power side of the glow plug relay (the large wire going directly to the glow plugs), to the LED, then directly to ground.

I tried unplugging my valve cover harness connectors one by one and re-checking the light but it made no difference, the light still would light up brighter based on the pedal position. So either my glow plug relay is slightly closing based on my pedal position, or somehow a current is making it's way to the glow plug system on the power side, which in turn goes through my LED.

I'm not too sure, but does this seem like it could be a problem? I know the IDM converts the voltage to a higher value, so maybe somehow it's messing with the glow plug circuit which in turn is lighting up the LED.

The LED doesn't light up very bright when doing this, I wouldn't be able to tell it's on during the day, but it is definitely lighting up. When the glow plugs are acting normally, the LED is pretty bright so it's nothing at all close to being fully lit.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Could be the GP relay going bad, check your vehicle voltage also and grounds leading the the engine, frame, and the pcm grounds.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Could be the GP relay going bad, check your vehicle voltage also and grounds leading the the engine, frame, and the pcm grounds.
I will have to check that out. I know my voltage is quite a bit lower than I'd like it to be. It's not in the defective alternator range when driving, but sometimes at idle, it's under 13v which isn't very good.

I will try and re look over my grounds as well and see if something looks suspect!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
So I got into a little fist fight with my windshield after my new rear view mirror mount fell off for the third time. I ended up winning. I purchased a gps/dash cam android powered rear view mirror. I spent almost my entire weekend deleting apps, and trying to get things sorted due to it's very small internal storage. One thing after the other kept failing, not loading correctly, or storage filling up in the wrong area. When I finally got all the programs and apps where I needed them installed on Sunday evening, I went to mount it for the third time and the mount fell off, so it was goodbye windshield time for me.

It was due for a replacement anyway due to all the chips... It had a pretty bad chip from about 7 years ago on the passenger side that the crack never seemed to get bigger. I noticed yesterday (before the brawl) that the crack actually did get about 1" bigger just recently so it looked like it was finally starting to go.

I'm getting the windshield replaced tomorrow, and I altered my new rear view mirror mounting bracket to adapt with my old rear view mirror arm, so it will have the factory mounting so that this shouldn't happen again!

Then I'll have a dash cam/gps/back up camera as well as a new windshield! Just need to take care of a few things within the month I'm still around here!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you have a link to the mirror thing? That is pretty cool

Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Do you have a link to the mirror thing? That is pretty cool
Yes, here it is!

https://www.amazon.com/junsun-Universal-Special-Bluetooth-Recorder/dp/B01KQ0TR8E

I haven't heard of the brand before, it's a Chinese brand which I like to get as much USA stuff as In can but nothing like this is made in USA. This seemed to be the only thing with what I wanted that acted like a stock replacement. I really wanted something that looked stock, like it belonged and not some thing sticking out that's obvious. The quality of the mirror and touch screen etc actually seems pretty good on this as well, it's just it has very limited system memory for apps. That's no big deal though since I don't plan in surfing the web or playing games on it!

I will get the windshield replaced today, then install the mirror now that it has the factory mounting arm attached to it. I'll take some pictures and video of it up an running too if everything goes well!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Interesting. I will have to remember that next time I have some spending money