2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F-250 against Ram 250

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM
hmcfly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 against Ram 250

I bought a new F-250 and my father in law bought a Ram 250. I really noticed a big difference in the interior, the Ram really looks cheap compared to the Ford. He got the Ram because he got on before and had no trouble with the Cummins engine. Anybody else notice a difference, I'm a Ford man myself.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
Well I guess that would depend on trim levels. A King Ranch against a Tradesman will definitely look cheap and isn't apples to apples.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2014 Ram tradesman and I think the interior is fine, I'd say its equal to the Ford.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:51 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oklarado
I have a 2014 Ram tradesman and I think the interior is fine, I'd say its equal to the Ford.
​​​​​​​equal to the Ford what? XLT?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
The tradesman is the base model, but it does have power windows and locks, and a touchscreen radio, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc. I have test drove a few XL's with the same options, and I'd say they are fairly equal. The Ram is light years better than the 2016 superdutys in the interior. I like pretty much everything else on the Ford though that's why I'm switching.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:03 PM
firemansdiesel
Junior User
I'll say a Tradesman most resembles the new Ford STX package.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by firemansdiesel
I'll say a Tradesman most resembles the new Ford STX package.
A Tradesman is RAM's base model and is comparable to a Ford XL or Chevy W/T.

Base models have been getting nicer and nicer as technology becomes cheaper. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, navigation systems with LCD screens and instrument cluster message centers were some of the most expensive features a manufacturer could install...now they are among the cheapest. Things like power seats and sunroofs are more costly than the "latest technology."

Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
hmcfly
Junior User
Yes my father in law got the tradesman and I got the XLT package

Old 02-20-2017, 06:46 PM
GoDuke1
Senior User
I looked at both, and I had to really add a lot of options to the Tradesman 2500 to get what I needed, and the price was more than an XLT already set up. The Tradesman is better than an XL but (IMO) less than an XLT.

Ram's Laramie package is a totally different animal though. Interior looks really good compared to the 2016 Super Duty, but Ford closed the gap if not passed them with the 2017.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GoDuke1
I looked at both, and I had to really add a lot of options to the Tradesman 2500 to get what I needed, and the price was more than an XLT already set up. The Tradesman is better than an XL but (IMO) less than an XLT.

Ram's Laramie package is a totally different animal though. Interior looks really good compared to the 2016 Super Duty, but Ford closed the gap if not passed them with the 2017.
That's funny I have a XL and its got more options than a tradesman. Multiple cameras. large touchscreen, etc.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
It all depends on the option packages you put in the Ram

Tradesman---> XL
SLT-->XLT
Outdoorsman--XLT with options
Big Horn / Lone Star Edition-->XLT with more options
Laramie--->Lariat
Longhorn-->King Ranch
Limited-->Platinum
Power Wagon -->not contested

Now, as for quality of interiors, that will be up to the person. IMO there are reasons to argue both sides, but I find the leather than Fiat uses in the Limited/Longhorn to be on a different level than the rest of the truck market.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dim Sum

Tradesman---> XL
SLT-->XLT
Laramie--->Lariat
Longhorn-->King Ranch
Limited-->Platinum

Now, as for quality of interiors, that will be up to the person. IMO there are reasons to argue both sides, but I find the leather than Fiat uses in the Limited/Longhorn to be on a different level than the rest of the truck market.
DimSun, does your RAM have rear reading lights with individual switches or is there simply a dome light over the rear seat?

I certainly agree the LongHorn is a beautiful truck all the way around; although I don't love the instrument cluster.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum

Tradesman---> XL
SLT-->XLT
Laramie--->Lariat
Longhorn-->King Ranch
Limited-->Platinum

​​​​​​​is the Laramie equivalent to the Lariat Value, or the Lariat Ultimate? I assume Ultimate.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
​​​​​​​is the Laramie equivalent to the Lariat Value, or the Lariat Ultimate? I assume Ultimate.
I don't think you could option out a laramie to be the same as a lariat with ultimate option.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
Different manufacturers don't necessarily try to line up options and features based upon the competition. For example, RAM might offer something on the Tradesman that Ford only offers on the XLT.

The Laramie trim is most closely related to the Lariat trim because it is the trim level for both Ford and RAM where you can get leather. Buying a Laramie nets you heated front seats and a heated steering wheel automatically, along with power 10-way driver's and 6-way passenger's seats, plus memory on the driver's seat. The base Ford Lariat package gives you no heated seats, steering wheel, or memory system; it does give you 10-way power driver and passenger seats. You would have to order the Lariat Value pack to be on par with the base Laramie. That would still not give you the heated steering wheel, but would net cooled front seats which you don't get on the Laramie. So there are always trade-offs. RAM's steering wheel at any trim level is tilt-only. Ford's is tilt and telescope, with the Lariat Ultimate offering power tilting and telescoping, including memory. So each manufacturer may offer things you simply cannot get on the other make no matter what.

As a whole, Ford seems to offer more features and amenities than any other truck maker right now, but you may have to pay a fair penny to get them.

Quick Reply: F-250 against Ram 250