Fluctuating RPM/Stall at a stop or slow creep

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Ramonbo13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluctuating RPM/Stall at a stop or slow creep

Hi All,

New member here and I am at odds end with an issue on my truck.

I have a 2011 XLT with 133,260 miles.

I just recently purchased it for a steal at a Ford dealership with GAP insurance and extended warranty for the next 12,000 miles...which is great because I drive about 400 miles a month...

Any who it runs great but for one small issue (hopefully) that has been intermittent.

She likes to idle slightly rough in drive at a stop or very low speed, and in reverse at slow speed. If I don't maintain the RPM it will stall and the low oil pressure light will come on, which I imagine comes on because of the sudden stall.

I first noticed this while backing into my garage in the driveway, It would fluctuate in RPMs and if I didn't maintain the gas it would shut off. I took it to the dealer and all they were able to tell me was the Tranny fluid was low and it would cause it to shut off at incline because a sensor isn't detecting fluid in the tranny. I thought this was weird but being as I have never owned an F150, I didn't know better.

It was fine for a little over a month and it started doing it again at stop lights and backing into my driveway. It has become frequent but there is no issue driving at speed and on the freeway. There is no stuttering or shaking and if it weren't for the fluctuating RPM at a stop and the stalling, it would be hard to tell if there was an issue.

All I can note is that there is a clicking sound under the hood, if I remember correctly the last time this happened I was at a 1/4 tank of fuel like I am now, I also feel like it may be a throttle body issue, or some sort of air sensor, I plan on taking it to the dealer but I figure I would get a more informed answer on the forums.

I also hear this is a common issue with the 5.0s

I purchased the truck in December and since then I have only put 250 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My idle was getting a bit rougher over time, now at 72K miles. It wasn't stalling like you describe, just a bit rougher than when I bought it new. I just used a fuel injection cleaner that you pour into the tank with great results. I used the Napa Echlin brand, it says to add a bottle to AT LEAST 12 gallons of gas. Since I had a full 36 gallon tank I put in two bottles and ran it down to about an 1/8 of a tank before refilling it. The idle is much smoother now and it couldn't hurt to try it on your higher mileage engine.

Be aware that you will need a small necked funnel to get past the metal flap in the fuel filler neck. When I tried to put it in the tank straight from the bottle it just came out the overfill vent holes.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Ramonbo13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It turned out to be the MAF going bad, just was not throwing a code. Turned out to be worthwhile taking it, they changed out the MAF and replaced the coolant tank and some radiator hoses that were leaking.

I didn't even notice the tank was leaking, they did that on their own and even offered to cover the parts that my warranty didn't cover because they changed them out without notifying me of them not falling under warranty.

So far those are the only annoyances as well as having to buy a new battery because of the one on the vehicle leaking near the terminal and causing some annoying battery acid cleanup.

Other than that I am in love with this truck and the Coyote engine.