The $500 IDI adventure - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The $500 IDI adventure

Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 AM
Senior User

chillman88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dewd View Post
Seems to have decent suction, but I will check again tomorrow.
Make sure you check at the booster!

Also if you get the booster issue figured out and the brakes still suck make sure your rear shoes are properly adjusted. It won't cause a hard pedal, but I've had vehicles with "bad" brakes that really just needed the shoes adjusted. Excessive pedal travel can be a dead giveaway to poor shoe adjustment.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
So I found an IDI at the junkyard today. Got a bunch of stuff for my pickup. Brakes have a ton of air in the lines and the vacuum pump is extremely weak, as it turns out. My brake pressure warning light is on. I will grab that other pump soon as I can, then bleed and adjust the brakes. I will see where that gets me.

One bolt on the vacuum pump is gorilla tight and rounded over. I even tried vise grips to no avail. I might have to weld a nut on to the head of the bolt and remove it that way.

Cleaned up the interior quite a bit too, and it looks darn good if you ask me! I also reinstalled a few interior trim pieces so now it is complete. Tested the 4x4 and not only does it work, but all the lights even work!

Had an issue with it not charging. Turned out to be a bad connection at the "A" terminal of the voltage regulator. Cleaning and repairing this remedied it perfectly.

The truck is pretty hard to start after its been sitting. It will start, but it takes a few tries and some considerable cranking. I make sure not to abuse the starter in doing so, but what say ye to remedy this?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
Here's a neat thing folks. The truck came with about every piece of paper the truck had when new in the glovebox. All the special manuals, for the 7.3 and 4wd, brochures etc.. Even came with the original build sheet!

Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Senior User

Herb Brooks is starting off with a positive reputation.
When it does start does it die right away? Can you hear the glowplug relay? If so does it seem to click on and off a couple of seconds apart? See the sticky addressing glow plug trouble shooting at the top. Thats my bet glow plug issues. Some of these old gals won't go if they don't have a well functioning glow plug system.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Posting Guru

When it starts, it keeps running just fine. Relay clicks once when the WTS light is on, when it goes out, it clicks repeatedly.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Elder User

The_Josh_Bear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like you're getting after things right away. Nice work!

The difficult hot start is the telltale sign of a worn out IP. Hot fuel leaks past worn seals and it doesn't have the pressure at the relatively low cranking RPMs to fire the injectors. To prove it, put a liter water bottle in the pickup. Next time it won't hot start hot pour the ambient temperature water over the IP and try again. Should fire right up!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks!

I have heard of that worn IP symptom. It starts quite a bit easier when it is warm, actually. It is cold starts/few hours sitting that is difficult. Thinking it may be glow plugs.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Elder User

The_Josh_Bear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh. Well then I read it wrong.

Cold hard starting is more about air intrusion. Usually you can prove it by pulling the fuel filter in the morning before a start. Half full or less? Air intrusion!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Posting Guru

I'll check that. My WTS light only stays on for 5 seconds or so before going out. I feel like it should stay on longer? Glow plugs may be necessary.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Posting Guru

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
So I found an IDI at the junkyard today.
Wow, you were lucky twice.

I've scoured junkyards all over LA for years, and never found an IDI. I rarely ever find a diesel anything.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Postmaster

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I'll check that. My WTS light only stays on for 5 seconds or so before going out. I feel like it should stay on longer? Glow plugs may be necessary.
Yeah, probably a dead glow plug or two. My two trucks with /good working/ glow plug setup have a 15 second WTS time. It feels really long, but they fire right up on the first crank afterwards. One dead glow plug drops that time to like 7 seconds, and it takes a couple of cycles of cranking to make it work.

Just get a piece of 10-14ga wire, hook one end to B+, and touch the terminal of each glow plug with the other(connector removed, of course). A good glow plug will spark as you touch it, a bad one will do nothing.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Posting Guru

Good advice, I'll give this a try. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Quote:

The truck is pretty hard to start after its been sitting. It will start, but it takes a few tries and some considerable cranking. I make sure not to abuse the starter in doing so, but what say ye to remedy this?
starts, runs for a second or two then dies, and cranks forever before restarting?

that is air intrusion, and you will need to put a return line kit on it with caps and o-rings.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Posting Guru

If I drive it, warm it up, shut it off and wait anywhere from zero to 30 minutes, it starts up pretty easily. If I wait a couple hours, it takes a few tries to get it to fire and run. No starting and dying symptom. Just excessive cranking and multiple cranking attempts.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Post Fiend

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ill put my .02 in with the glow plug lot. Sounds like you already know what youre doing, but use the motorcraft / beru plugs. Lots of people have had issues with the other brands. Also, just tested the ones that came out of the 88 engine, 6 were good, 1 was weak, 1 bad. 7 were beru, the bad one was autolite. So "they" may be onto something.