2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Question of the Week: 2018 Expedition Styling: Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: 2018 Expedition Styling: Yay or Nay?

The 2018 Ford Expedition has debuted in Chicago with a new version of the 3.5L EcoBoost V6, the new 10-speed transmission, an aluminum body and a sleek new exterior design.

For our newest Question of the Week, we want to know what you think of the new Expedition exterior styling. The company has applied an Explorer-like look to this new large SUV, but would you prefer more of a truck-like look?

Share your thoughts on the look of the new Expedition in the thread below!

Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM
hank_2010
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a thumbs down for me. I like the rugged truck like styling of the current expy, if I wanted an explorer I would just buy that instead. With that said, I'm sure that if will be a great seller for Ford with all the new crossover look and new technology they have incorporated.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM
David Neibert
New User
Styling is okay, but I would have prefered something more like the F-150 instead of the Explorer. I've got a 2016 Expedition with 3.5 ecoboost that I daily drive and I think it's the best looking Expedition Ford has ever made, so it's going to be a hard sell for me. Oh yeah, I hate that BMW style rotary gear selector ****.

David

Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Fmc4lfe
Senior User
This will be a hit the current model is so dated it's sad, this should bring the expedition back to the map

Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The current model is dated in the way that things like g wagons or Land rovers are dated....It looks good and works. No need for the bubble crossover styling. Thumbs down for me on exterior looks. The tech is good improvement. I love our new 2017 though. Then again, I am biased towards truck based SUV's.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nay, it looks like a big Explorer. I like my 15' better, still looks like a truck.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM
stokesj1
New User
OMG this thing looks like a chevy.....
Ford should have made it look like the F150's front end. It is still a TRUCK!!!!!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 AM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it it looks great. Short of a new Excursion or a Range Rover this is the best looking machine. I have three boys and my wife's 2015 EL will be sold in favor of new one. I still wish Ford would bring the Excursion back but oh well, much lamented wish here and elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it looks great! I personally think it looks a little too fancy for my tastes, but in the eye of the public, it's perfect!!

The current Expedition is very similar to the F150, which I like, and would make sense if it were simply an SUV equivalent to the F150. Problem is: NO ONE WHO WANTS A LUXURY SUV WANTS A TRUCK FRONT END!! They want it to look big and sophisticated, to match the inside. If I were to buy an Expedition, it would probably be the lowest trim level available, with the least amount of bling. I'm in the 1% who would rather be in a truck-like SUV than a luxury SUV. The rest of the market would rather have something along the lines of a Tahoe or Suburban. If Ford continued to make a truck-styled Expedition, they would be forced to discontinue it.

The sales have shown that a luxury SUV that looks like an F150 doesn't sell. The Tahoe and Suburban look very car-like, and their sales make the Expedition sales laughable.

What is the point of a comment like "If I wanted an Explorer, I would buy one?" Does that make any sense? The Expy and Explorer are obviously very different animals; in terms of size, capability, towing capacity, luxury levels, pricing, etc. It makes sense that the styling gap is finally bridged.
In the small SUV market, the new look for the Explorer is a winner, so Ford decided the Expedition should look like a bigger counterpart. IMO, a bigger SUV should look like it's smaller counterpart, not the truck it was based on in a completely different segment.
I could say the same about the current Expedition: If I wanted an F150, I would buy one. Similar luxury levels, size, capability, towing capacity, pricing; just with an extended interior.

Overall, not a bad design. I think Ford will sell this one much better than the current generation!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will sell if the magazines are correct....They put the Mercedes GL series of SUV's in the same category as if people really cross shop these, then they give the number one selling SUV spot to Mercedes with Expedition as number two. If Ford is using any of that as market research it is no surprise they are catering to a different crowd now. At least the new one is still body on frame (superior for towing). Once they lose that, they completely loose me.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:01 AM
NevadaGeo
New User
I am neutral yay or ney. Having just shopped, researched and asked many questions, I settled on purchasing the 2017 Limited over waiting mid-year for the new 2018. Two reasons account for my decision.

1. The 2017 is the culmination of design maturity and working out the bugs, a refined product.

2. Wisdom tells me to not purchase the first roll out of a re-design.

The styling of the 2018 looks like a merging of the Explorer and Flex models. Nice bold front end grill. I believe the new re-designed Expedition will sell and be successful. I am all for it but glad I have my 2017.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 AM
southwindva
Junior User
Any one know if the 18 model is still a body on frame design or changing to a unibody ?
Just noticed that blue Expedition does not have the scalloped front door windows like the pickups.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 AM
southwindva
Junior User
OK, I think I saw the scalloped windows on the spy model with the square grille. One concern I have is the rotary shift ****. I seem to always drive with my right hand on the shifter. Very normal for me from all the years with manual trans vehicles.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Gauging at how well the Explorers are selling and how poorly the Expedition has been selling, it was time for a dynamic shift in appearances. I think it's perhaps the best looking Expy that Ford has ever produced.

The question is, will it be as bullet proof as my 2004 Expy has proven to be? Lets hope.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by southwindva
Any one know if the 18 model is still a body on frame design or changing to a unibody ?
Just noticed that blue Expedition does not have the scalloped front door windows like the pickups.
yea, its still in essence a bof truck. the early dev mules used parts on the f150 to test the aluminum body in relation to the expys increased size and increased sheet paneling. the expy however stopped sharing body palnels with the f150 since 2003my, they do use the same frame, that hasnt changed. the rotary is throwing alot of ppl off, its no issue to me however. its just a shifter and in no way a hindrance to whats going to be one of the best trucks on the market. the navi may end up with push buttons. i dont like column shifters but thats not gonna prevent me from buyingif i liked everything else on the truck.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: 2018 Expedition Styling: Yay or Nay?