Is my diesel worth saving? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my diesel worth saving?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Junior User

Delkancott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is my diesel worth saving?

It's been a while since I posted here, but I conflicted and looking for advice.

I have a 2000 F250 Supercab 7.3 with 200k on it that was recently in a front end collision. Drove it for a month after, but upon the body shop doing further inspection the insurance company wants to total it. It will cost me about $1000 to keep it, but now it's noseless and I don't know that I'm the right guy to put it back together. Should I salvage it? Parts it out? or fix it?

Thank you
Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
If you can drive it, and the frame isn't bent, then I would fix it. A 7.3L with 200k on it it still worth 7 or 8k or more depending on condition.

It's about time you updated the front end anyway. Check ebay. I damaged my front end and I replaced what was broken. Junkyard fender, $150. Ebay bumper, $189. Amazon headlights, $125. Once I get the fender painted to match, you won't hardly be able to tell.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Post Fiend

BillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to all
I would spend the $1000 to keep it, pocket whatever else they will give you then part it out. You can make that $1000 for your deductible back in no time. There are 3 people in my area that are parting theirs out and getting a premium for the parts. Especially the undamaged body parts. The tailgates are going for about $300 painted in good condition. Leather seats another $300 for the fronts and $200 for the rears. Cloth is cheaper depending on condition.

Now if you choose to keep it and fix the front end, check with your insurance company first. I know mine will not allow me to have full coverage on a vehicle that was totaled even if it is minor. My old ZR2 Blazer got some minor hail damage on the roof and hood...not real bad, but it was totaled. So I just pocketed the money and then changed to liability only insurance.
And keep in mind that if you do sell it, it may have to be with a salvage title since it was listed as totaled.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Junior User

Thanks for the quick replies.

They told me the title wouldn't be affected because of it's age.

The list of parts needed was: bumper, bumper valance, headlight, left bumper bracket bolts, left headlight, headlight mounting panel, left marker light, sight shroud, header panel, left fender, left fender liner, radiator support (bent), left frame rail and painting/blending.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
By cost you a $1000, is that the buyback price after they write you a check for it? When my '97 was totaled for minor front end cab damage after a Hyundai hit my bumper - she hit it on an angle and moved the rad support over an inch - they offered me $8950 (in 2012) for it but wanted almost $4500 for the buyback. In my case the insurance company was replacing the entire front clip, including the hood, as everything was slightly twisted.

The shop it was at offered to simply pull the nose back over since the frame wasn't bent, and I wouldn't need any new parts beyond the bumper, brackets and a new rad support. Although it wouldn't be perfect they said they could get the headlights straight and the hood would work. They offered that for $500 w/o parts.

But due to the buyback cost, I had to sell it, but at least the shop that stored it let me swap out my new batteries, tires, put the stock radio back in, etc. I found my '99 in Denver for $8900, and the woman who hit me, her insurance covered my costs to go out there to pick it up - after a few years and threat of a lawsuit.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Junior User

The $1000 is not what they are offering me. It's the difference in price between keeping it and salvaging it. The shop did not offer me any cheap fixes, but suggested parting it out.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Post Fiend

BillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkancott View Post
The $1000 is not what they are offering me. It's the difference in price between keeping it and salvaging it. The shop did not offer me any cheap fixes, but suggested parting it out.
Personally I would have to agree with the shop.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkancott View Post
Just trying to follow the numbers here. In my case it would have cost me $4500 to keep it, but I would have $4450 in my pocket as well, which I felt was not worth it since I found a slightly newer and lower mileage truck to replace it. You have to ask yourself whether what they're offering you is enough to replace it with a similar truck without all the headache - which was my case.

I guess it comes to this - whether it's $9000 w/o the truck & $8000 w/ the truck; or $7000 w/o & $6000 with. Big difference there. You know how well your truck ran before.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Junior User

It would be 7500 without the truck and 6500 with. Unfortunately neither of those figures replaces the truck.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Post Fiend

If you don't depend on having the truck daily then take the 6500 and part it out. May get the rest you need for another.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Elder User

For fixing it, the rad support is the only part I see that isn't bolt on, assuming the inner fender supports aren't bent. And there are other options. Years ago I had an '86 5.0 Mustang with front end damage repaired by the vo-tech class at my old high school for free (although a buddy of mine did know the shop teacher). I just had to find a donor front end & all parts; they replaced the rad support, straightened the front subframe, and put it all together. Free labor, job was good, just took a whole school year.

Otherwise parting it out means having the place to store it while you do so. The engine alone is easily worth twice the difference, if someone nearby needs it.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
if it is drivable and you have 6500 to use to put a front clip on it?????

200,000 is almost no mileage.....

I would think long and hard about putting a newer front clip on it.

imo...
Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM
New User

shabr66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with keeping it! Heck, if it were a 4x4 I'd give ya a couple thousand for it as is!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Junior User

It is a 4x4.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 PM
New User

shabr66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you PM me? I can't send you a PM because I'm a new member.