2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ordering with X-plan or retail pricing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ordering with X-plan or retail pricing???

In talking to my salesman, he assures me that he will be able to beat my X-plan pricing, however I'm not sure how that works. Should we setup the order using the x-plan pricing or not, and why does that matter at this stage as isn't the final pricing stuff done upon delivery?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should negotiate before you order, with the knowledge that you get applicable rebates at time of delivery. X plan is a good price, but you may or may not be able to beat it.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
X Plan is a fair deal. I would get a buyers order on paper if retail is better than X Plan on your deal. X Plan caps the Doc fees etc. You might be charged more in dealer fees on a retail purchase. Dealer has to honor your deal upon delivery plus whatever rebates are available at the time of delivery.

Good luck with your purchase!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Have them create a buyers order/sales sheet, the one that you would sign on delivery and compare the two. It's really easy to get to the bottom line when you compare both deals.

X plan really limits the dealer's ability to charge extra fees and simplifies the deal. The salesman may be saying they can beat the invoice price but the net price to you may be higher if there are a lot of fees. I'd just tell him OK, and ask him to show you both deals. Who knows? Maybe you've found a salesman, his sales manager, the GM and f&I guy who really do have your best interests at heart.

Forgive me if I am a little skeptical.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Steve Edward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Johnpsz
In talking to my salesman, he assures me that he will be able to beat my X-plan pricing, however I'm not sure how that works. Should we setup the order using the x-plan pricing or not, and why does that matter at this stage as isn't the final pricing stuff done upon delivery?
When ordering..It doesn't mater which price your paying for the vehicle.
X plan is good starting point without A plan. Dealerships always want to sell at A plan pricing. They get kick backs from the manufacture...Tell them you want their HOLD BACK money too with X PLANS.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure how good x plan is, but after getting several dealers interested in my business, I ended up with one of them giving me 11% off MSRP. It wasn't easy and hearing there is about 13% into it for the dealer, I probably wasn't contributing to their 401K too much.

Big dealers get bigger kickbacks and bonuses too, and for me, the big dealer was able to move on this amount while the smaller dealers had to bow out saying they wouldn't make a nickel on the deal. May not always be the case, but it was w me this time.

Good luck, and by the way.... I've read some here who actually paid retail! Serious!

Old 02-14-2017, 11:05 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I told my internet sales guy that I was going to use my brother's x-plan pin and the sales guy said he could beat that price. He did and I took it. I signed an agreement on price when I ordered.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
My dealer ran the numbers both ways and X plan beat his invoice by a bit less than $200 so we went X plan.

This is the advantage of doing business with a straight talking dealer, they will let their numbers on the paper do the talking. Your sales guy unless he has run the numbers does not have any idea.

My dealer has simple pricing on trucks: Invoice - available and applicable incentives = Gross sales price + TT&L = out the door price. All that take is about 15 min or so, the you sit around drinking coffee, talking about hunting, ranching and football...

Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X plan is fine. You can do better than X plan too. As said above, check fees to make sure it really is a better deal.

Not sure what Steve Edward up there really means. Of course we want to sell at A plan. It gives the customer a better deal than we normally could and Ford gives us money to do it. But you can't just walk in and ask for A Plan. I can't even get A plan, so it's a moot point. X plan is a good but not best deal. You won't get all the holdback by any means, that's all that's left of the profit. If it looks like you are getting all that, then they're making it up somewhere else.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 PM
rbrockman
New User
I started the order process thinking X Plan would be a good deal. Reached out to 6 dealers in my area and quickly realized that I could easily negotiate better than X Plan with most dealers. Finalized a deal without using X Plan for a much better OTD price.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Davydee
Junior User
We negotiated ours with the sales staff knowing we had X-plan. They beat X-plan. David

Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM
bluewaveaudio
Senior User
here is a buyers sheet on a truck I was looking at, this new truck I bought I ended up buying it for 9k off sticker. but if you look at pricing below should give you an idea of what a "good deal" is even though they are 25k over priced

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bluewaveaudio
here is a buyers sheet on a truck I was looking at, this new truck I bought I ended up buying it for 9k off sticker. but if you look at pricing below should give you an idea of what a "good deal" is even though they are 25k over priced
Help me out, I don't see the $9000 off sticker??

Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
My dealer ran the numbers both ways and X plan beat his invoice by a bit less than $200 so we went X plan.

This is the advantage of doing business with a straight talking dealer, they will let their numbers on the paper do the talking. Your sales guy unless he has run the numbers does not have any idea.

My dealer has simple pricing on trucks: Invoice - available and applicable incentives = Gross sales price + TT&L = out the door price. All that take is about 15 min or so, the you sit around drinking coffee, talking about hunting, ranching and football...
I wish all dealers were that way. Honestly they would close more deals. My fleet salesman at the Ram dealer basically did it that way, but I couldn't get hooked up with a fleet ford dealer so I went with a small town dealer closest to my house. I hate the back and forth games a lot of dealers play. Just give me your best deal upfront, let sign papers, and get on out of here.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 PM
bluewaveaudio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Help me out, I don't see the $9000 off sticker??
Like I said look at the a-z pricing my goal was to beat or match that price. The dealer listed above wouldn't deal. I went to 2 other dealers and red mc combs ford came. Back with the dually I bought. It was sticker priced at 79800 and they did 9k off minus 1k ford rebate and 1k in coupons. They also sold me the 100k wrap coverage for my truck for 1100 dollars.

Quick Reply: Ordering with X-plan or retail pricing???