Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rancho RS9000x vs Rancho RS9000XL swap out; request for experience opinion

Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rancho RS9000x vs Rancho RS9000XL swap out; request for experience opinion

Good morning; the project for today is in the suspension.

I have a set of RS9000X front shocks that I purchased for my old X just before the XL came out, I ended up just purchasing the full set of XL's and that was that. I had issue with the adjuster sizeded 2x's on them but the wty always was spot on and I was taken care of.

My question now: I have a set of Sensa Trac's on now with 10k and 1year 2 mo of use and the driver front seal is blown. They are all coming off......

I understand the foam core oil system vs pressurized gas system...

...but what are your experiences with the different shocks listed?

then opinions....

If I were to put the 9000x on what suggestions to match on the back? oil/foam

Thanks

Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Monroe's sensamstic, No big surprise montoes chespest shock leaked in a Year, actuslly im surprises it lasten that long.

Ranvho 9000
if you live in a wet or snowy area The adjusterers are a known problem and id not use them .

as far as "foam" shocks go, no idea what you are taking about but I would stick with a convential hydraulic shock. A mono-tube design would be choice.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
HiZ
More Turbo
The old RS9000X are an oil foam design. Maybe foam is not the correct word. But when the oil heats up the foam/neoprene heats up and expands creating more pressure in the shock to prevent the air bubbling and boiling.......

So; what are your recommendations?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HiZ
So; what are your recommendations?
Here ya go.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
You mention wanting the best possible ride out of it but do not give any criteria for what "best" means to you.

Personally I think the stock shocks that ford equipped the Excursion with were far to soft as they were clearly trying to attract the urban soccer mom buyer but obviously that is a subjective thing.

I find a firmer shock gives the Ex markedly better handeling charteristics while only sacrificing very little in comfort.

The bilstien 5100 series is a popular choice but only available in lengths for a lifted Ex

The bilstein 4600 is used by many stock height Ex owners. it is a monotube design like the 5100 but More of a stock replacement as it lacks the firmer valving of the 5100. Ok shock but pricey for what it is.

Rancho 9000 has an adjustable **** allowing you to choose the firmness of the valving and I like the product but have a hard time recommending it because of the problems they have been having with the adjuster mechanism corroding in salty road environments. I wish they would get this figured out.

" KYB Monomax " is a performance orientated monotube shock with firmer valving and made for stock height Excursions. I would compare their valving setup with the bilstein 5100. They are also considerably less expensive which is a bonus.

rockauto.com had a decent selection of the above.
Stewart

Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Camo, do those KYB's have enough travel to work for Excursions that have "upgraded" springs that raise the height closer to the F250 stock setup?

Stewart

Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
HiZ
More Turbo
the Mono-Max is actually what I was looking to consider!
Thank you for the help on that....

Anyone run them on all

Old 03-05-2017, 10:37 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts
To help the Rancho RS9000XL's adjuster ***** and innards last longer and perform as designed better you can fill the adjuster void with white lithium (or nearly any other grease I suppose).
The adjuster mounts via a plate through which the **** protrudes that is held in place with 2 small Allen head fasteners. Take those Allens out and pull the entire adjuster plate/****/inner pin assembly off the shock, then fill the void they go into with the grease and reassemble. That should keep any salt/water/gunk out of the adjuster mechanism and allow proper function for a long while, it can be redone periodically to keep them happy. I would also recommend shooting a couple or three coats of good clear paint on the silver shock bodies prior to installation to keep them looking good for longer.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
HiZ
More Turbo
Nice reply on options! And paint yes, the tenneco factory spray doesn't seem to hold up

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Camo, do those KYB's have enough travel to work for Excursions that have "upgraded" springs that raise the height closer to the F250 stock setup?

Stewart
id need gather up some measurements.
kyb does offer a monomax for a 2" lifted F250 do that would work on a 4" ex lift but I suspect that the rear f250 shocks are valved lighter then the Ex. Maybe a call to their tech dept could provide some answers otherwise we would need to send them to somebody with a shock Dyno.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:16 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can confirm the rancho's don't hold up in the rust belt.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That stinks that the Rancho XL's have that problem in rusty zones. The clear coat idea is a good one that I didn't think of. That gave me an idea that I will try with the next set of shocks. Wrap them with this:

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
I had the same problems with rust in TX! I would never recommend or even buy Rancho shocks.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A great article on the "old school" 9000X vs 9000XL

RANCHO SUSPENSION: What is the difference between the Rancho RS9000X and Rancho RS9000XL shocks?

In regards to rust, ANY shock will rust, (yes even the bling shocks). Many people use Fluid Film, or hit the shock with added clear coat protectant.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
To help the Rancho RS9000XL's adjuster ***** and innards last longer and perform as designed better you can fill the adjuster void with white lithium (or nearly any other grease I suppose).
The adjuster mounts via a plate through which the **** protrudes that is held in place with 2 small Allen head fasteners. Take those Allens out and pull the entire adjuster plate/****/inner pin assembly off the shock, then fill the void they go into with the grease and reassemble. That should keep any salt/water/gunk out of the adjuster mechanism and allow proper function for a long while, it can be redone periodically to keep them happy. I would also recommend shooting a couple or three coats of good clear paint on the silver shock bodies prior to installation to keep them looking good for longer.
I run the adjustable Rancho's in the rear, I removed the adjuster, pushed the valve in completely then packed it with moly paste. If you've ever use it, it just smears. I'll check my adjusters shortly and see if they held up through the mild winter.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
A great article on the "old school" 9000X vs 9000XL

RANCHO SUSPENSION: What is the difference between the Rancho RS9000X and Rancho RS9000XL shocks?

In regards to rust, ANY shock will rust, (yes even the bling shocks). Many people use Fluid Film, or hit the shock with added clear coat protectant.

While I agree that all shocks will rust, I expected full functionality for longer than a year and a half.

I can't see any circumstance where I could recommend the RS9000 to anyone who lives in a salted area. Save your money and get the RS5000 because that's what you will end up with so why pay more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rancho RS9000x vs Rancho RS9000XL swap out; request for experience opinion