Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 6.4

Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 PM
6.4farmer
New User
6.4farmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
08 6.4

So I bought a new to me 08 6.4. About the Sunday after getting the truck I noticed lack of turbo pressure and being sluggish. I was sitting at a light and looked out my passenger window and I had smoke/exhaust coming out from under the cab. Has anyone ever experienced that or is it just me.???

Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We all experience that - embarrassing actually. Ford and the EPA call it regeneration of the Diesel Partical Filter.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Tyler Sockriter
New User
Tyler Sockriter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I relate

So what's the fix for that.? Delete the dpf and get?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tyler Sockriter View Post
So what's the fix for that.? Delete the dpf and get?
Well, legally it should be taken to the dealer and replaced so that the old parts can be disposed of properly with great care for the those handling and the environment.

There are additives though no one knows if they actually work.

Most people just ignore it and suffer through the embarrassment and poor fuel mileage until they get around to buying a tuner and a testing pipe.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 PM
RigCity
Senior User
RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Full delete that DPF is a gaurenteed maintence item and sensors cost a lot if they go do you want to pay for that? Look up possible parts cost than compare it to a delete option.

The reduced heat will also lengthen engine life if you get a tuner watch out this motor can generate an amazing amount of power that could be tired with an amazing budget. I'm running over 50k tuned but drive it like a diesel not a race truck. I also have saved a lot on fuel for example well over 10 gallons on a 4 hr trip.
Durning the cycle the PCM commands an additional 7/8ths of fuel to the engine aka great heat is generated to burn the carbon off the filter.
Let's be honest the vast majority of pollution is from commercial vechiles and equipment not these personal pickups.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Acfig4
New User
Acfig4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Programmer

Originally Posted by RigCity View Post
Full delete that DPF is a gaurenteed maintence item and sensors cost a lot if they go do you want to pay for that? Look up possible parts cost than compare it to a delete option.

The reduced heat will also lengthen engine life if you get a tuner watch out this motor can generate an amazing amount of power that could be tired with an amazing budget. I'm running over 50k tuned but drive it like a diesel not a race truck. I also have saved a lot on fuel for example well over 10 gallons on a 4 hr trip.
Durning the cycle the PCM commands an additional 7/8ths of fuel to the engine aka great heat is generated to burn the carbon off the filter.
Let's be honest the vast majority of pollution is from commercial vechiles and equipment not these personal pickups.
Hey there,
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2010 6.4 since my good old 7.3 just got totaled, and I was just wondering what programmer you decided to go with and if u are happy with it. Any other recommendations are appreciated as well! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
some states and locals perform emmissions testing during the annual saftey inspection as well as visual verifications of emmissions equipment still installed.

same states have road side emmissions equipment inspections and have a 3 second rule for emmissions obsurity on accel.