1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerns If Buying Canadian Truck in US

Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Concerns If Buying Canadian Truck in US

I've found a used 2016 F250 built in Kentucky, but shipped to Canada. I uploaded the window sticker, and it says "Not for sale or registration in US". While it says "Retail price doesn't include GSTVor HST", I assume that was some sort of tax on the original new purchase.
Are there any dangers or pitfalls I should be concerned with? Will it always try to head north on the interstate? Sweat profusely in weather above -20?
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I've found a used 2016 F250 built in Kentucky, but shipped to Canada. I uploaded the window sticker, and it says "Not for sale or registration in US". While it says "Retail price doesn't include GSTVor HST", I assume that was some sort of tax on the original new purchase.
Are there any dangers or pitfalls I should be concerned with? Will it always try to head north on the interstate? Sweat profusely in weather above -20?
Thanks for your help.
Any vehicle shipped to another country needs to be certified for the US. For vehicles from Canada, i believe in most cases this is changing the information items (speedometer, fuel, computer program) to reflect standard US instead of Metric information.

When we used to live in Maine, just a stones throw from Canada, there were a lot of Canadian vehicles sold in the US and I believe the dealers actually certified them. I also know that the Certificate for this must stay with the vehicle.

That's about the limit of what i recall.

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Basically, ,the vehicle has to be "imported" into the USA even thought it was built in the USA but as Pete stated, for use in another country. Contract you local DMV for more information.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GST and HST are taxes that get applied when you are buying a vehicle in Canada depending on the province you buy it in. Some provinces have the HST and some have a PST. You wouldnt have to worry about that being that the vehicle is already in the states.

If a Canadian vehicle is imported into the US. the importer would have had to have it certified that it meets U.S. standards ( sorry cant remember the exact term of that standards whether it was emission or something else ) but it must have passed the mustard or it wouldnt have made it thru This is the same thing if it is imported into Canada from the US as well. Could possibly be a sticker like you see for the VIN and assorted info on one of the doors, the ones imported into Canada usually have a sticker put on their by the goverment agency saying that it was imported and meets the Canadian standard

Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 PM
mark224
Senior User
Contact US Customs they Wil tell you everything you need to know. A friend of mine owns a dealership selling used cars and trucks and when the money is right he gets them from Canada. I know I bought one that said it was built in Canada speedway in kilometers.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
You need a VIN letter from Ford stating that the truck meets US requirements and that letter has to be presented at US Customs as you Import the vehicle.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:09 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
The vehicle is already state-side being sold by a Ford dealer. It is Ford Certified, and it appears from
the Carfax report it was re-titled to a dealer upon entry.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
The vehicle is already state-side being sold by a Ford dealer. It is Ford Certified, and it appears from
the Carfax report it was re-titled to a dealer upon entry.
If that's the case and it is on a dealers lot, then you dont need to worry about it because it would have had to meet the standards prior to being allowed into the U.S. So you should be good to go, just a matter of you having a look under it and over it and in it and being able to make a decision from there. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM
BioBurner
Elder User
My last 02 (the CCSB PS that got creamed by a drunk driver) was a Canadian model. The only difference I ever noticed was that it had daytime running lights.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Thanks everyone. Now to decide if I should really trade my 2016 F150 KR if they come up with the trade allowance.
I love the F150, but I am so a Superduty guy after owning so many and logging so many miles in them. I just am not as comfortable in the low-rider F150.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone. Now to decide if I should really trade my 2016 F150 KR if they come up with the trade allowance.
I love the F150, but I am so a Superduty guy after owning so many and logging so many miles in them. I just am not as comfortable in the low-rider F150.
You just have to haggle, if the terms aren't to your tune let them know you need to think it over, thank the guy for his time and go home and see what transpires on there end over a few days, in the mean time you can still look around and see what is out there, don't be afraid to expand your search wider, even out of state. There is a lot of trucks out there and lots of dealers that would love to sell you one. The salesman will always tell you how the boss is going to **** when he see's the numbers and that he may be out of a job and all the usual lines to come closer to their number, all part of the game to get you to buy that truck

Old 02-09-2017, 03:09 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Thanks for your help.
I've done it in reverse about half a dozen times (US to Canada). There are a fair number of hoops to jump through but none are insurmountable. Reading and learning ahead of time is your friend. This will help get you going.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car

Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.

Added after: I didn't realize it was already in the USA. Absolutely make sure you run a CarFax or CarProof on the VIN first. There are a huge number of Canadian trucks being imported into the USA by dealers due to the big spread in exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar. (so says my neighbor who is a used car dealer).

Old 02-09-2017, 04:36 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
Thanks for your help.
my 2010 f-450 was a Canadian model which was sold in Canada and after 5 years traded in. It went to auction and my dealer bought it and sold it to me. No problems with title, registration and it passed the annual safety , annual diesel emissions and annual heavy vehicle inspection with no problems at all. When I registered it I paid sals tax based on its value like I always do in everything I register.

just make sure it's not deleted and tuned if your state is like mine.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BioBurner
My last 02 (the CCSB PS that got creamed by a drunk driver) was a Canadian model. The only difference I ever noticed was that it had daytime running lights.
ditto.
I have a '99 F350, it was bought new in Canada, imported into US for a customer in Idaho, Carfax, is a great tool..
It has DRL, US dashboard and 226k miles.