Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Performance IP upgrade on Factory turbo - Numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Performance IP upgrade on Factory turbo - Numbers!

I wish I had a few good pics for you guys, but it's been snowing so badly I can't actually floor it enough to find out what I'm getting before I'm sliding.

--------------
Here's the deal:
Back in November, I bought myself a new truck. '93, extended cab, 4x4, 7.3 IDI with factory turbo(non-turbo block however) and 5-speed, in running and driving condition for $1900.
It's not the prettiest truck, what with the cab corners and rear fenders all rusted out, but the frame and underbody are all intact. It looks like someone tried to put POR15 or something on it, and at least half of it is still there.

It's a good running truck, however, and handles quite nicely.
The power, however... Marginal. I've had it do 90 when I floored it on flat ground passing someone, but it took quite a few seconds to do it.

I finally got around to installing a fuel gauge on the hood, to check the performance of my mechanical fuel pump:
Result: 3-4 PSI. Idle to WOT. Evidently, it's doing it's job.

I hooked up that gauge to my intake hat instead, and measured 2-3 PSI of boost during highway cruising, a peak of 6 when floored at 2400RPM, dropping to 3 by 2800. Pretty pathetic.

I tried to turn the pump up, but it didn't want to do it - it felt like it was already turned up all the way... but I was getting literally zero smoke. On top of that, it was weeping a bit; needs a seal kit.

So, last Friday, I swung by my parents' place, where the tan truck is at, and yanked the IP off of that. That's my year-old RD2-110 IP that I made 248HP(and a ton of smoke) with. That ought to help! :P

Sunday, I installed it. Took it out for a spin... Oh yeah.

I haven't really gotten enough of a load to actually test it yet, but unloaded....
In 2nd gear, I can hit 9 PSI by the time I have to upshift.
I've hit 16+ PSI(the gauge is 0-15 PSI) flooring it in about 2 seconds. The needle just... goes.
On these somewhat icy roads, with my big knobby (new) tires... I can break traction in Overdrive if I give it half throttle!

I'm reluctant to push it *too* far, at least until spring, but... I had to post this now. It's just... a whole different animal.

I thought I'd share this, what with it literally being a drop-in component - everything else is 'stock'. I guess the factory turbo can put out some decent pressure after all.

While I'm at it, I'll throw this here too:
I straight piped the truck about 2 weeks ago... It's the quietest straight-piped truck I've ever heard. Squished downpipe? A few extra bends?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 PM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! That is a bit of an improvement in boost! If all goes as planned on my CC I will be putting "significantly" more fuel than a stock DB, and likely comparable with one of Justins' pumps. It will have to be engine #2 as I am still waiting on a lot of parts.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordtruckman838
Nice! That is a bit of an improvement in boost! If all goes as planned on my CC I will be putting "significantly" more fuel than a stock DB, and likely comparable with one of Justins' pumps. It will have to be engine #2 as I am still waiting on a lot of parts.
Conestoga/Moose pump?
I'm curious about what you get out of it.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
So, um, I need to post all the info here as well, I kind of forgot about you guys and posted it over at Oilburners: Rob's '93 at the dyno! | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net

I got the truck on the dyno on the 18th, and got 245 RWHP out of it, with approximately 453 RWTK at 2740 RPM(give or take 5% due to the RPM calibration being per the crummy stock gauge)

I then hooked up a trailer and drove 150 miles to go pickup a '92 F-250, very similar to my '93 but with a Banks instead.
The clutch started slipping noticeably on my way down, and I had to be really careful coming back. Still is working, but I'm being careful...

Also, after all this I put my truck up on ramps and was looking underneath, and saw white/red trails from various points along the head gasket... on *both* sides. I run bright pink coolant that leaves white/red trails when it dries...

It doesn't seem to be leaking currently, no bubbles in the coolant and no coolant in the exhaust... but it was more than a little worrying. I'm definitely going to try to retorque the bolts before pushing it hard again, and if I *don't* find any extra torque, I'm going to have to get a set of studs for it.

Either way, even if fixing the clutch *doesn't* give me more power, 245 RWHP out of a stock factory turbo with crushed downpipe isn't bad. It's got 2.5" exhaust(deleted the muffler is all I did), stock injectors, and, well, a stock motor. It's pretty cool that you can just slap on an IP, disconnect the wastegate and get an extra 50+ HP out of it(or 120 if compared to NA).

Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Facebook Post

Theres mine if the link works. Not as loud as it sounds in the vid. Sounds exactly like yours at idle. Had a glasspack in it before, cant really tell i took it out, other than i can hear it on my side now because its dual. 088 4" off the DP, splits before the axle. Its a bit louder now, but some 5" rolled tips on it, amazing the difference it made.

Some crazy impressive numbers you pulled out of the stock turbo and downpipe. Odd that torque is so high in the powerband. Did you time it, and i wonder if thats from the tinkering on the pump youve done.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Macrobb
It's the quietest straight-piped truck I've ever heard
Yeah they seem that way until accelerating up a hill!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Some crazy impressive numbers you pulled out of the stock turbo and downpipe. Odd that torque is so high in the powerband. Did you time it, and i wonder if thats from the tinkering on the pump youve done.
I do have an aneroid/low-boost-fuel limiter which kicks in below about 6 psi. Makes for a responsive, no-smoke-at-low-rpm ride. It will kill raw torque down low, though, till it hits that 6-ish psi. In actual driving, though, it's felt /far/ better than before I got it.

Also, the curves seem similar to my other truck, when I dyno'd that. I'm guessing it's probably turbo-related, in that it won't make that much boost down low.

Originally Posted by Johnny L
Yeah they seem that way until accelerating up a hill!
Eh... I don't know.
I've had my '88 with a straight-piped banks system for a bit, with it dumping right in front of the rear wheel. That was /loud/. You could really tell at idle.

My '93 with factory turbo is far quieter than the '88 ever was, even *with* a muffler. Yes, it makes some noise going up hills under heavy load, but inside the cab is /really/ quiet for a diesel. No problems hearing music or talking with a passenger.

I also got a '92 with a Banks 3" exhaust system, straight piped(but the full over-the-wheel setup). It's 10-15% louder than the '93. Again, both are pretty quiet inside the cab, and aren't too bad with the windows open either.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just realized i was talking about non-turbo and your examples are all with turbo. i think that makes a big difference in noise level.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny L
i just realized i was talking about non-turbo and your examples are all with turbo. i think that makes a big difference in noise level.
Huge difference, my 79 NA with stacks would make your ears ring.