1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rebuild stock steering box vs power steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM
HAFROD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild stock steering box vs power steering

Guys, I am curious as to what an average cost for a stock steering box rebuilt might be versus switching to power steering. I found an older gentleman that rebuilds the stock boxes locally. He told me to remove it and bring it to him for a free inspection. I know that switching to power steering is going to be more work and more parts. Basically trying to figure just how much more $ on average to have power steering. Column will have to be modified with a swivel style joint, power steering brackets and pulley, hoses, etc. I really don't mind manual steering. I actually prefer the simplicity

Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 AM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by HAFROD
Guys, I am curious as to what an average cost for a stock steering box rebuilt might be versus switching to power steering. I found an older gentleman that rebuilds the stock boxes locally. He told me to remove it and bring it to him for a free inspection. I know that switching to power steering is going to be more work and more parts. Basically trying to figure just how much more $ on average to have power steering. Column will have to be modified with a swivel style joint, power steering brackets and pulley, hoses, etc. I really don't mind manual steering. I actually prefer the simplicity
The box rebuild kit w/new gear runs $320, $120 w/out gear on midfifty. I'm still at least a month from installing mine so can't report on the ease. Looks like about $600 in parts if you use your old column to go power.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
I love my original steering.

I am modified with a Ford Racing 306 topped off with a 177 Weiand blower, AOD and front disc brakes, I also left my brakes non power even though there was only about a $50 difference. Running leaf springs with Posies dual flex up front for some hot rod rake and to soften it up some.

I like the ride and feel of a old truck, so non power steering and brakes it is!

7K miles since the upgrades and still happy that I kept I simple and non power

Old 02-09-2017, 01:29 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
The issue relates to running better radial tires particularly if they are larger that old stock tires as they increase the effort needed to turn the wheel beyond design intent. You also need to keep the large steering wheel. So if you want safer tires that improve ride and handling I would suggest the power steering upgrade.

Also and of lesser importance if your truck is not strictly stock then I think that power would be more attractive to future buyers . . . but I'll probably get some argument about that from others on this forum.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:04 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I have the power with stock axle I think that you would really enjoy it.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
I was working through the same decision recently.

When I read the three pages of instructions from CPP on rebuilding a box yourself, I finally convinced myself to get the box already rebuilt from CPP / MidFifty.

I'm sure I could have gotten through it, but I was worried about ruining the $300+ kit with some of the adjustments you need to make... The professionally rebuilt box was just not that much more $$.

The only time I miss not having power steering is during K-turns.