1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Decoding tag on middle chunk on a 1981 F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decoding tag on middle chunk on a 1981 F100

Hey I'm Wesley . Can anyone help me decode a tag on the middle chunk. I have a 1981 F100 lwb truck . It has a 300 straight 6 ,3 speed with overdrive and 123,672 original miles. I am the third owner of this truck and I have to replace the axles. Im trying to decode this tag and some numbers and letters that are stamped on the middle chunk. I also don't know if they have changed out the rear end or anything like that. Can anyone help me with this . I want to thank you Gary for helping with the link you gave me , it helped a lot . Thank you again
​​​

Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Welowright
Hey I'm Wesley . Can anyone help me decode a tag on the middle chunk. I have a 1981 F100 lwb truck . It has a 300 straight 6 ,3 speed with overdrive and 123,672 original miles. I am the third owner of this truck and I have to replace the axles. Im trying to decode this tag and some numbers and letters that are stamped on the middle chunk. I also don't know if they have changed out the rear end or anything like that. Can anyone help me with this . I want to thank you Gary for helping with the link you gave me , it helped a lot . Thank you again
​​​
The numbers and letters on this tag are as follows....... WDM DB 1C03 .......... .... 2 47 9 5308B

Old 02-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wesley - Good post. Except you didn't post the pic.

Having said that, I've taken another look at my Axle Ratios page and my Differentials page and realize that I didn't include the graphic on how to decode the rear differential tag. So, hang on a bit while I update one of them..............

EDIT: Well, you got it posted, but we can't read it. Let me get the info up so you can decode it yourself.....

Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I see "2.47" in the picture.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Actually, the info is already on there here: Rear Axles - ???Gary's Garagemahal.

The problem is that I have a real mess with regard to rear axle info.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Actually, the info is already on there here: Rear Axles - ???Gary's Garagemahal.

The problem is that I have a real mess with regard to rear axle info.
wasn't for sure it it was completely readable that's why I posted the letters an numbers below the picture in the order they were on the tag . Thank you guys for the help on this. Also have a question . K on the middle chunk close to the area where the tag is bottle and on the very front of the middle chunk where the drive shaft connects.. do those numbers and letters that are on the stamped on the middle chunk mean anything?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Welowright
wasn't for sure it it was completely readable that's why I posted the letters an numbers below the picture in the order they were on the tag . Thank you guys for the help on this. Also have a question . K on the middle chunk close to the area where the tag is bottle and on the very front of the middle chunk where the drive shaft connects.. do those numbers and letters that are on the stamped on the middle chunk mean anything?
Sorry, but I don't understand. What is "bottle"? And are you talking about another tag? Only the info on the tag is important as anything on the differential has to do with the housing and not the internals.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
Sorry, but I don't understand. What is "bottle"? And are you talking about another tag? Only the info on the tag is important as anything on the differential has to do with the housing and not the internals.
sorry . I meant where the tag is attached...... Ok good to know that the other stamped on housing doesn't matter thank you Gary. Got two more questions and I'll be done for the night.. don't mean to bother yaw so much. K if I post a picture of the front and back of middle chunk and rear end would yaw be able to identify whether it a 9inch or 8.5inch rear end?

Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
9". The 8.8" has a removable rear cover.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
9". The 8.8" has a removable rear cover.
thank you so much Gary and thank you so much too franklin2. My last question is , I have a tag that is attached to the frame underneath the bed of the truck towards the front of the bed next to the cab on the passenger side. It has a bunch of letters and numbers but first part of the numbers are different from the VIN number but the last numbers are the same as the VIN. Also the second row of numbers I have no clue what they are. I have 2 pictures of it below. Do yaw know what these are.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I've never seen tags there. But, they look a lot like the one(s) fastened to the firewall above the engine, close to the wiper motor. Compare the two sets to see if they might be the same.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
K thank you so much gary

I've never seen tags there. But, they look a lot like the one(s) fastened to the firewall above the engine, close to the wiper motor. Compare the two sets to see if they might be the same.
k thank you Gary . I will check them in the morning to see if they match. Does anyone else might know how to decode them or know of any link to decode this tag . I thank you Gary and thank you franklin2 and thanks to anyone else who might be able to help with this tag above . Yaw have a goodnight see yaw tomorrow and be safe and have a blessed night and day .😎

Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
By the way, where are you? You may be close to someone on here that can help.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Welowright
Freshman User
By the way, where are you? You may be close to someone on here that can help.
sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm from Sylacauga Alabama.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If you'd go to the user control panel (User CP in the upper left) and put that in the personal info section and details about your truck in the signature we won't have to ask.

Quick Reply: Decoding tag on middle chunk on a 1981 F100