Notices
2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

To Transit or not to Transit?

Old 02-05-2017, 01:06 PM
cocot
Senior User
cocot is starting off with a positive reputation.
To Transit or not to Transit?

That is the question.
Owned many E350's The first being a 1975 with manual steering.
Anyways, I feel like I have to jump ship to a GMC Savana 3500
Please make your best argument for the Transit.
I am not keen on the looks, stance and tire size of the Transit.

I thank you for your help!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Hey cocot,

Here's what I posted in another thread comparing the two in another thread. No comparison at all between the two IMHO, the Transit is a far better vehicle.

Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Last week we went on a trip to Florida. My 5-year-old daughter is in a wheelchair, and Make-A-Wish granted her wish to go to Disney world. Was an absolutely amazing trip in every way, and while we were down there they rented us a wheelchair van.

It was a '13 E250 with 46,000 miles on it. This is the first time I've spent much time behind an E-series van in years, and I was absolutely blown away with how differently it drove from the Transit. Some quick door sticker math showed the curb weight was similar to our Transit-350, but the 4.6L/4R75E felt like an absolute dog compared to the 3.7L we have in the Transit. The transmission felt slushy, like the torque converter was unlocked much more often than we see in the Transit. I attributed this to the lack of available ratios compared to the 6R.

The steering took much more effort, and was much less precise than the Transit, but the suspension seemed to do a bit better job soaking up bumps. Couldn't give you a good fuel economy comparison because driving conditions were so much different in the Orlando area, and we only went through one tank of gas.

Getting back into the Transit on Tuesday made me feel like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. The tight handling, responsive power, and quiet ride really made me feel like we picked the right van.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Frantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to behold
How are you using your vans?

But for starters.. One is modern, and one was designed in 1996 when this guy was cutting edge...

Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 AM
cocot
Senior User
I have back windows and a window in the slider for security.
The back seat goes in and out when I need the extra room.
Shelves and drawers on both sides behind the bench seat.
Loaded with enough tools for the apocalypse
An additional 400 to 2000 lbs in material.
Must be registered passenger and look non commercial

I know you say one is modern and one is an old design, well I am an old design too!
I'm not anti technology, but why take a chance when you can brute force it?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Frantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to behold
I like old stuff myself. I'm pretty active in AACA and would hide a Falcon based Econoline project from my wife in a heartbeat should the opportunity arise. The 1990s don't scream rugged old reliability to me though, just old and obsolete. Style is what it is. If you want to spend the money, the Explorer van sport roofs look really sexy (for a van)

Transit as a whole has been in continued refinement since 1965, just not in the US. So it's hardly a modern risk, it's just been improved, where the GMC has not been (nor had the old Econoline).

The last row in the Transit vans have handles that you can pull for easy removal (though stay away from a true 15 passenger, as the outboard seats get bolted in). All other seats can be removed easily by slipping a hooked tool and releasing the latch. It will leave a flush floor with no holes to the exterior.

Payload is pretty impressive on the Transit. You can max on the SRW to 9500# GVWR to stay under commercial. You can even get a DRW Van version that can creep even closer. Unit body, so that same GVWR gets you better payload than a body on frame design, keeping you legal if you get boarded!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 AM
cocot
Senior User
That's probably the best looking one yet!

I see your a sales guy. To put a bench seat in, are the brackets existing in all models? If not are they easy to install? If ordering new, is there a full length headliner for a cargo van? Full floor mat?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
The brackets are NOT there on seats that aren't part of the van. They go down into the floor pan, so not a simple bolt on option.

No headliner in cargo van, full floor mat is an option (16E)

You might want to consider getting the Builders Prep package if you're looking at an order. You'd have to add a floor. For seats, I've had good luck going to local bus companies and getting some bench seats added. My fav so far was a folding 2 person seat with belts. You would fold up against the wall when not in use and take up maybe 1'x2' of floor space. Lots of options.

BUILDERS PREP PACKAGE (61A)
Deletes:
● Rear Floor Covering
● Rear-Seat Rails and Fasteners
● Rear-Seats and Restraints
NOTE: Side/rear scuff plates not included
Availability:
● XL and XLT Wagon
Not available with:
● RV Prep Package (47D)
Requires:
● Dual Heavy-Duty Batteries (63E)
● Heavy-Duty Alternator (63C)
Includes:
● Audio Pack #19 (58V)
● Front License Plate Bracket (153)
● Modified Vehicle Wiring System (53K)
● Vinyl, Front Only (Rear Vinyl Floor Covering Delete) (16C) with XL
and Carpeted (16G) with XLT
Upgradeable Features/Options (for additional charge):
● Audio Pack #20 or greater
● Auxiliary Heater Prep Package (62A)
● Auxiliary Heater / AC Prep Package without Rear Controls (62C)

Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
These aren't the ones I used, but it's similar idea:

https://www.suburbanseats.com/p/fr-0212

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 PM
cocot
Senior User
That is good info!
I dig that folding seat, never new it existed.

Could I use my current rear seat setup? Can the brackets be bolted through the floor or is there an obstruction?

Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
You'd have to check where you want them and look underneath. Obviously if you're not 100% sure on how to put them in safely then let someone else figure it out for you, but they can check to see whats on the underside where the bolts need to be. You just don't want to simply bolt them in, they'll rip right through the sheet metal in an accident, maybe even after enough hard stops.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I've never ordered a builders prep package, it may well come as an incomplete vehicle that requires a 2nd stage CO to verify passenger numbers and keep it from being plated as a van. But I hope it gives you some ideas to run to ground (-=

Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM
cocot
Senior User
What a PIA this going to be if I have to figure out seat brackets and headliners.
I haven't even researched shelves yet!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
You know what, I just thought of something that could be a killer to the whole thing (and possibly with any companies options). The wagons have airbags. Big ones. Like the entire passenger compartment long. No right minded upfitter is going to be willing to install anything and you should consider the dangers of an exploding airbag compressed against a bolted in tool shelf. That would either force you to go with a cargo van and be satisfied with just windows at the front and 2nd row, or remove the airbags of a wagon, something I of course do not suggest, just thinking aloud at the practical aspects of the problem.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 AM
cocot
Senior User
I would go cargo with fixed rear glass and a window on the slider

Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Cocot I'll add this bit then step away.............

(I will say Tom's post up top is very interesting!)

Sounds like we're both of the same mind vehicle-use wise, in fact I'm considering replacing my current E250 EB with a Transit so how easily one can be DIY up-fitted to suit my needs is very, very important. Fortunately the aftermarket suppliers for shelving and other fittings & equipment aren't lacking in their offerings for Transit and its other brand kin. American Van is one such outfit, Weather Guard, Adrian Steel Products are a few more that come to mind.

Like you the idea something is "old design" isn't a deal breaker because I need/want a work truck. Things like ride comfort are so low on my list of must haves, reliability and ability to be easily modified to suit top of that list. Add in I have considerable knowledge, tools and reference manuals for the E-Series jumping into the "new" stuff isn't appealing. Because I rank overall cost of ownership much much higher than initial purchase price those issues figure into my searches and eventual choice.

My hope is by the time I'm ready to purchase Ford will have a Transit suiting my needs and have built a reliable van to rival or surpass the Old Reliable's we call E-Series.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Transit or not to Transit?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: