Looking to add center jacks to a TH

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:23 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to add center jacks to a TH

The bounce in my trailer is getting really frustrating. I've tried a kingpin stabilizer, it works when I spend 30 mins fiddle-farting with the thing to get it perfect. But now I'm using an anderson hitch and I'm not taking the ball adapter off my kingpin just to use the stabilizer.

I want to add these: http://winfieldrvproducts.com/landin...tabilizer.html

and I also want to add a central jack system that stabilizes the trailer under the axles to prevent the feeling of walking on a diving board. If it needs to be a manual crank I'm ok with that. If I could make it electric by just running 12v to a motor, also cool. Just trying to get an idea of cost, and recommendations on a brand or vendor that makes a quality product. After this latest king pin stabilizer BAL can Kiss my butt.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Ahh, the old kingpin stabilizer! I have one too and in the 50% of the time I can use it here in the northeast I really don't feel it helps much if at all. Most sites are not level enough for it to reach the kingpin. That said before we go out this year I'm going to install the JT Strongarm kit. The kit is similar to what you posted but also braces the front jacks front to back, along with side to side. More triangulation is better. Someone did a review of it either here or in the 5th wheel section and was very pleased with the results.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/set...seMaAjDw8P8HAQ

I considered adding a second set of electric stabilizers in front of the axles, but the electric stab jacks are double the cost of this kit.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Ahh, the old kingpin stabilizer! I have one too and in the 50% of the time I can use it here in the northeast I really don't feel it helps much if at all. Most sites are not level enough for it to reach the kingpin. That said before we go out this year I'm going to install the JT Strongarm kit. The kit is similar to what you posted but also braces the front jacks front to back, along with side to side. More triangulation is better. Someone did a review of it either here or in the 5th wheel section and was very pleased with the results.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/set...seMaAjDw8P8HAQ

I considered adding a second set of electric stabilizers in front of the axles, but the electric stab jacks are double the cost of this kit.

I have read several posts about them.. well received..

second thought.... the frame jack stand with a screw head...
before and after wheels... tires are bouncing ***** after all.
Ultra Stacker Jacks, Set of 4 - Ultra-Fab 48-979004 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Old 02-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
second thought.... the frame jack stand with a screw head...
before and after wheels... tires are bouncing ***** after all.
Ultra Stacker Jacks, Set of 4 - Ultra-Fab 48-979004 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Those are cheap enough and may do the job. But they are one more thing to drag around and store somewhere. I think a lot of the motion on the 5th wheels with electric jacks is in the jack legs themselves--mine are very sloppy, and the strongarm kit stops that. If that isn't enough I would bolt manual scissor jacks on in front of the axles. I always have my drill with anyway.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
My TT is long, 41' from hitch to bumper and the bounce from frame flex/suspension bounce was very noticeable. The TT has 4 scissor jacks at the corners from the factory, I added a extra set just forward of the front axle and they have eliminated the vast majority of the bounce, very tolerable now, can hardly feel any movement with folks walking around. It was a cheap and effective solution to the problem.
I have toyed with the idea of building StrongArm copies for my corner stabilizer jacks to firm things up even more.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Those are cheap enough and may do the job. But they are one more thing to drag around and store somewhere. I think a lot of the motion on the 5th wheels with electric jacks is in the jack legs themselves--mine are very sloppy, and the strongarm kit stops that. If that isn't enough I would bolt manual scissor jacks on in front of the axles. I always have my drill with anyway.
I get that part of more stuff to carry..
I think they are stack-able.. I know one of the brands are.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
bigc1301
New User
I got the steady fast system. Works great.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Got this at Amazon, made huge difference. I only did the side to side, will work front to back also.
BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
The bounce in my trailer is getting really frustrating. I've tried a kingpin stabilizer, it works when I spend 30 mins fiddle-farting with the thing to get it perfect. But now I'm using an anderson hitch and I'm not taking the ball adapter off my kingpin just to use the stabilizer.

and I also want to add a central jack system that stabilizes the trailer under the axles to prevent the feeling of walking on a diving board. If it needs to be a manual crank I'm ok with that. If I could make it electric by just running 12v to a motor, also cool. Just trying to get an idea of cost, and recommendations on a brand or vendor that makes a quality product. After this latest king pin stabilizer BAL can Kiss my butt.
I'm in the same boat. I have a power tongue jack on the TT and 4 scissor jacks. I have been adding the camco jacks under the axle equalizers to try and get rid of the bounce in the kitchen. Long term I want to add modified electric tongue jacks to the frame just aft the axles to give me 3 point leveling then I will only need to lower the scissors/strong arms for stability. These jacks would be similar to the lippert ground control 3.0, or Bigfoot levelers but without the "auto" leveling. I think I can level it just fine with 3 switches.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon

I'm in the same boat. I have a power tongue jack on the TT and 4 scissor jacks. I have been adding the camco jacks under the axle equalizers to try and get rid of the bounce in the kitchen. Long term I want to add modified electric tongue jacks to the frame just aft the axles to give me 3 point leveling then I will only need to lower the scissors/strong arms for stability. These jacks would be similar to the lippert ground control 3.0, or Bigfoot levelers but without the "auto" leveling. I think I can level it just fine with 3 switches.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Just finished the Strongarms today. The trailer is night and day better!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 PM
defekticon
Senior User
I ended up going with the Steadyfast due to the way the gas line runs along the frame on one side of the trailer.

So far the front was easy to install. I bought a better drill bit than the one that comes in the kit and it made drilling the holes much easier.

I haven't done the rear yet because I have an additional bracket welded under the frame to support the garage, fuel tank and spare tire in the toyhauler. Additionally I wanted to replace the cheap rear scissor jacks with some solid Bal jacks to attach the rear foot. I'll be camping out down in Delaware Seashore State Park for Memorial day and will have more to report.

Just with the front brace installed there is already a major improvement in the stability of the trailer. Attempting to push the nose of the 5th wheel left to right was not possible. The trailer didn't budge. Mission accomplished.