Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission Took A Dump but it could be the TC maybe

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More updates, believe I just manually got the truck into 2WD using the shaft/spline sticking out the side of the transfer case (front driveshaft now spins freely). TC shaft/Spline is now at the 1-2 o'clock position, but it was an effort to get it in there. I'm not sure how that little motor manages, but it could also have been because nothing is running. I have tested the motor with 12V and it seems ok. Now I am going to put everything back together and see what does/doesn't work!

Old 02-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
So it all came down to a wire that came out of a crimp on the 6 pin plug going to the TC. But now I can investigate the metal bits and get a flush and filter done!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It's not the transfer case. You said it doesn't roll in park, so the transfer case is in gear and NOT causing this problem.

The metal parts you found in the trans look like part of a one way clutch. Did the trans work with the shifter in 1 or 2? That would help narrow down what you'll find when the trans is torn down, but the bottom line is that the trans has failed. Nothing short of a rebuild or replacement is going to get this going again.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It's not the transfer case. You said it doesn't roll in park, so the transfer case is in gear and NOT causing this problem.

The metal parts you found in the trans look like part of a one way clutch. Did the trans work with the shifter in 1 or 2? That would help narrow down what you'll find when the trans is torn down, but the bottom line is that the trans has failed. Nothing short of a rebuild or replacement is going to get this going again.
Mark, you may have missed it but he said originally that it would not roll in park but then in a later post he said he was mistaken and it would roll in park.
Not saying the trans is not toast but it appears there is something is going on with the transfer case. He has found a bad connection to the shifter motor.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Skydivelout
Tuned

Mark thanks for the reply! So it's all up and running again. I followed your posts on some of the other sites to assist my fault finding and they were super helpful. I thought to start that the truck wouldn't move in park, but then it did which pointed me to the TC as you've said in other posts. I had recently rewired the 6 pin plug in the TC as the old plug had been RTV'd in place by someone and one of the wires had completely corroded through. I drove home after doing that job and then the problem was about 4 hours later. After much messing around yesterday, one of the wires on the 6 pin had come out of the crimp and once soldered and re worked everything is back to normal. The wire was causing the TC to move as soon as i plugged the 6 pin in. The spline was vertically up and down and the front drive shaft was engaged at the TC. Once the wire was sorted it started behaving

Now that doesn't account for the 4 bits of magnetic material unfortunately. So I guess my question is this - they are metallic and appear to have had an attachment point at one end but not the other. It's possible to tell that one end broke off something while the other end has a proper finish and is very slightly curled up they are very light and thin, bend easily. I can post some clearer pics shortly now I've cleaned up the bits. Hopefully someone can ID them.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Now that you have better photos, those are not part of the one way clutch. Unfortunately I don't recognize them.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Now that you have better photos, those are not part of the one way clutch. Unfortunately I don't recognize them.
Thanks heaps

Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Could they be off a Sprag?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take them to the shop where the trans was repaired and ask them what they are.
It couldn't hurt, and they might know.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Originally Posted by Karlow
I would take them to the shop where the trans was repaired and ask them what they are.
It couldn't hurt, and they might know.
I hear ya, I sent them pictures as they are up in CO. They said dip stick parts first until I reminded them it's an F250 then they said sprag, but I'm not convinced if Mark is saying he's not sure. Problem is I know very little about this and the googling I have done hasn't yielded any clues yet - hopefully it's something of nothing.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Skydivelout
Could they be off a Sprag?
A sprag is another name for a one way clutch.

They look too small to be part of a one way, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:10 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
If things seem to be OK at this point I just wonder if the "parts/bits" are from the previous transmission failure that never got cleaned out. Mine had some "junk" left in the pan (01' with the one way clutch isue) when I had a service done when I fist bought it. No problems or trouble with it but I had some concerns.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:29 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The metal pieces look to be part of the "Z" shaped springs from the OD roller sprag. The curved ends, of the broken pieces, would be where the springs are bent.
Name:  OD Roller Sprag.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Originally Posted by mueckster
The metal pieces look to be part of the "Z" shaped springs from the OD roller sprag. The curved ends, of the broken pieces, would be where the springs are bent
Attachment 173385
You could well be right, they seem to match the parts I have eh. I wonder how much more is caught up in the filter . It seems to be good at the moment, guess I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
FORD 4R100 OVERDRIVE SPRAG 98-04 ONE WAY ROLLER CLUTCH TRANSMISSION COAST DRUM | eBay

I concur. That is exactly what they look to be from. Above is a little better photo with ability to zoom.

Quick Reply: Transmission Took A Dump but it could be the TC maybe