1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What are the merits of staying stock / original?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 AM
stubbfarmer
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stubbfarmer's 56

Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  128.3 KBName:  IMG_0178.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  174.7 KB

Last edited by stubbfarmer; 02-06-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: text
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
stubbfarmer
Mountain Pass
After putting the pictures in I could not seem to post text. Sorry I am better with cars than computers. Hope they are alright.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:29 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi abe,

Nice 56 Rico. Looks like you have some new parts in the bed to put on your truck. What are your plans?
Well, I've got a long list and a lot of parts!

When I got the car, the first thing to do was cutting away the corners of the cab and weld in some new sheet metal. The same with the rocker panel at the driver side. After this came a little paint job to cover that work. Then I decided to deal with the frame and the fenders. I grinded away the light rust and applied a special oil (Owatrol). Afterwards I coated all the parts with a special paint (Brantho Korrux). The inside of the fenders was finished with a coating to prevent damages by stone impacts. Then I treated all the voids and hollows, including the doors etc. with a "fluid film" and afterwards a so called "perma film". All that products are avialable here in Germany and designed especially for preserving vintage cars and boats.
The only things that's not yet preserved completely is the underside of the cab. There the final paint (Brantho) is missing yet, but that comes next.
Then I mounted new seals between the fenders and the body. The old
ones were missing (in the rear) or hardened by overpainting (in the front).
Last week I removed the old oak boards from the bed. They were through.
The new oak boards are painted and are waiting to be mounted on the truck. I'll start with this job this evening. Last weekend I replaced the
shocks and leaf spring at the rear of the car, since I had an easy access
due to the missing wood-bed. This work went much better than expected.

For the interior of the cab I spent a lot of hours. I had to repaint the whole dashboard and the visible frame parts. Then I mounted seat belts and treated the floor (grinding and coating). Afterwards I installed new sun visors and a new carpet on the floor and on the back wall of the cab.
I had to install a new glove box and to fix two of the gauges (fuel and
temperature). At last, I mounted new door cylinders and new door
panels and kick panels. Now the cabin is as good as new .
I refreshed all the emblems (now they are the color as stock)
I mounted a new generator and fuel pump (pump was leaking, generator didn't work properly.

The things to do next are:
- replacing all four drum brakes including wheel cylinder and brake pads
- replacing the whole cable for the parking brake
- installing the electronic ignition (Pertronix I) as I did in my Mustang
- mounting a new cab skirt (the old one is missing almost completely)
- installing the neutral safety switch (there's a switch but no wiring)
- replacing front suspension (shocks and leaf springs)
- repaint the running boards
- working on the hood alignment (a time-eating job) or install that front tilt conversation kit

Oh - not to forget: I installed a car horn that sounds like a frog .

Hoping to get all the tings done until spring...

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Stubb Farmer, Coyote, and Rico... you forgot to put pictures of your trucks in your posts so we can enjoy both stock and altered trucks! Thanks!

This is how I bought it. It came with a Chevy running gear.

Putting a ford running gear in it. 2015 coyote engine with a 4R70W auto transmission

Still under construction.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
stubbfarmer
Mountain Pass
Thumbs up

I like your wheels Coyote.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great 56 stubbfarmer. I have to agree with Dave, he said "I love the look and styling of old vehicles. I love the power, handling, and comfort of newer vehicles, so I combine them. For me it is the best of both worlds. " I feel the same. My brother has a pair of restored F1's that he brings to me for repair when needed, after I drive them a while I know that I am not a stock original guy. I would much rather drive my 53.

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice truck 56 Rico- I spent a year in Heilbron thaks to UncleSam - Beautiful area of Germany, great beer and good wine. spent a lot of time in Hohenfels Training Area and Grafenwoehr back in 68.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 PM
rico56
More Turbo
Hi Dave,

thanks - yes that truck is very nice. I like the design of the 56 F100 the most. I live in a small village about 60 Miles away from Cologne. That part is called "Western forest" or Westerwald in german. Heilbronn is a very nice town. The whole part around Heilbronn and the "Pfalz" (Ramstein) is very nice. There are still a lot of Americans in this area. Most of them from the US Army. Even Mr. Trump has ancestors there but that's another chapter . Sorry, wont start to talk about politics, rather go to bed now

Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by F1 coyote
I think the all original trucks have an appeal that takes you back to a time in this country when craftsmanship meant something, but on the other hand I really appreciate modern technology. To me there's nothing like cruising an early model truck or car thats on a modern or modified chassis and running gear, you know, one you can get in and go anywhere anytime, keeping up and getting around traffic like nobody's business. To me that's better than driving a 2017 corvette or the likes. Takes me back and I love it. Classic steel, modern drive ability.
Reading this it just hit me. I have only been in 2 classic trucks, mine and Ross's. I need to find a darkside truck to take a ride in. There is another reason to make it to Truckstock.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
I sat next to fun-ford at TS1 and i felt my mind going dark! I fought it well, only made a few changes to my project! LOL!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by rico56
Hi Dave,

thanks - yes that truck is very nice. I like the design of the 56 F100 the most. I live in a small village about 60 Miles away from Cologne. That part is called "Western forest" or Westerwald in german. Heilbronn is a very nice town. The whole part around Heilbronn and the "Pfalz" (Ramstein) is very nice. There are still a lot of Americans in this area. Most of them from the US Army. Even Mr. Trump has ancestors there but that's another chapter . Sorry, wont start to talk about politics, rather go to bed now
My ancestors came from the Palatinate. Mother's ancestors came to America in 1733, Father's in 1744.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Hi abe,

that's great! You see how small that world is! That's another good things with the internet and a forum like this - one can easy find people all over the world who share your hobbies and interests - that's fantastic indeed!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by rico56
Hi abe,

that's great! You see how small that world is! That's another good things with the internet and a forum like this - one can easy find people all over the world who share your hobbies and interests - that's fantastic indeed!
Here's is hobby of mine, or I should say a lifestyle or career.... International Football. Who is your favorite Bundesliga team?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 AM
rico56
More Turbo
I don't have a favorite soccer team - actually I'm not that big soccer fan. Of course I know what's going on in the league but that's it. I'm a cyclist. Until 2003 I took part on
races all over Germany but today I'm just riding to keep me in good shape. Once a year I go to the Provence in the south of France for a week, together with old buddies from the racing-times and we have a training camp then - it's great! On the pic from my garage in one of the post above, You can see two of my bikes hanging at the wall. The one on the right is my newest toy ;-). It's not a V8 but a H2 (human 2 legs) ;-)

Well, I'll close the office now and call it a day. The truck is waiting for a new wood bed. I startet yesterday, but only had the 2 outermost boards mounted before
bedtime. But mow the worst part is over. All is aligned now and the remaining boards
are easy to mount. fingers crossed ;-)

Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Good luck with the bed wood. There are alot of nuts to attach to a lot of bolts! Don't over tighten the nuts or you will pull down the bed strips and they will look wavy. If you have a helper it makes it easier.

Quick Reply: What are the merits of staying stock / original?