5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

'13 engine Timing chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Today's engines are FAR better made than in decades past. Bot the design and manufacturing are better.

The reason today's engines wear so well is due to five things:
1) good air filtration; keeping the silica out
2) good oils; the additive packages have been improved over the years to better deal with soot and insolubles
3) TBC; the oxidation barrier that builds up actually is a major contributor to reducing wear (Ford/Conoco oil study as told in SAE 2007-01-4133)
4) sealed system; with sealed crankcases (localized PCVs), there's very little free-moisture intrusion to induce corrosion
5) good combustion processes; engines produce far less soot than in years past, because of great quench of the cylinder heads and also excellent control of the fuel via computer controlled injection events

You can change oil as often as you want; that's your prerogative. But that does not change facts. Wear rates are fairly steady overall. Changing oil frequently does NOT alter wear rates in a positive manner. UOAs (used oil analysis) prove this time after time in all manner of examples.

The old mantra of frequent oil changes was due to the fact that oils did not have the robust additive packages that they do now, and engines back then did not run as clean as they do today (both in terms of reduced soot and also contamination control). While is was not a bad idea to OCI often way back in the day, to flush out contamination, that's not applicable today.

Changing oil frequently does not really hurt an engine. But it most certainly does not, in any manner, help it either. Data proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

These ain't your daddy's lubes or engines.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 PM
nccatfan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
I've decided to follow a 10K OCI(which seems to be inline with my OLM). However I am running Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Same here with our '14. 80k miles and entirely trouble free. Been doing that since it's first oil change

Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Today's engines are FAR better made than in decades past. Bot the design and manufacturing are better.

The reason today's engines wear so well is due to five things:
1) good air filtration; keeping the silica out
2) good oils; the additive packages have been improved over the years to better deal with soot and insolubles
3) TBC; the oxidation barrier that builds up actually is a major contributor to reducing wear (Ford/Conoco oil study as told in SAE 2007-01-4133)
4) sealed system; with sealed crankcases (localized PCVs), there's very little free-moisture intrusion to induce corrosion
5) good combustion processes; engines produce far less soot than in years past, because of great quench of the cylinder heads and also excellent control of the fuel via computer controlled injection events

You can change oil as often as you want; that's your prerogative. But that does not change facts. Wear rates are fairly steady overall. Changing oil frequently does NOT alter wear rates in a positive manner. UOAs (used oil analysis) prove this time after time in all manner of examples.

The old mantra of frequent oil changes was due to the fact that oils did not have the robust additive packages that they do now, and engines back then did not run as clean as they do today (both in terms of reduced soot and also contamination control). While is was not a bad idea to OCI often way back in the day, to flush out contamination, that's not applicable today.

Changing oil frequently does not really hurt an engine. But it most certainly does not, in any manner, help it either. Data proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

These ain't your daddy's lubes or engines.
I bet you are fun at parties! JK
Our entire society runs on what people feel instead of what facts and data show. Sucks but I have not found a good way to get people to feel the facts haha.

I get a kick out of oxidation. It is so useful or a problem depending on the situation.

I do try to change my oil every year because I have heard oil will absorb moisture over time. I have no idea if that is true... Feels right though... Guess I should get to searching out facts on moisture absorption by oil...

Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Nash1974
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm aware this is a few months old but I saw something that was not mentioned. In places that see colder winter months engines are prone to A LOT more idle time. So its not a bad idea to change out oil early at least throughout the winter.