1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide on gauges to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 PM
ocracokenc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide on gauges to get?

I have the Torque Pro app and use a 10" tablet but it is kind of a pain to place in a spot that I can see it and it stay still. I was planning on buying a isspro 3 gauge A pillar set from Riffraff with boost. EGT and tranny temp to use with the Torque app since the kit from Clay has everything you need to install it.

Then I noticed in a Summit racing catalog something called the Edge insight CS2 and CTS2. It would be a little cheaper for the Edge but looks like I would need extra sensors for the EGT and I do not know about the boost.

Would I be better off with the Edge or buy the pillar set from Riffraff and keep using the Torque Pro that seems to work decent. Thank guys.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might consider a RAM Mount for the tablet or phone.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:19 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I use an Edge CS because I did not want a pillar mount with a load of gauges and yes you will need an EGT sensor, but the install is very simple. I use Forscan with my laptop, but not while driving.

The Edge is basically plug and play and a load of possible reading for the screen. I run EGTs, boost, IPR%, engine oil temp and transmission temp, along with voltage. I can also clear codes with it and read DTCs so it I think it does a lot for the price.

I also installed a fuel pressure gauge on a steering column mount. That's as much information as I can process and I have alarms set on the Edge to go off at the readings I want.

To me this is just a preference kind of thing.

Steve

Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
ocracokenc
Junior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I use an Edge CS because I did not want a pillar mount with a load of gauges and yes you will need an EGT sensor, but the install is very simple. I use Forscan with my laptop, but not while driving.

The Edge is basically plug and play and a load of possible reading for the screen. I run EGTs, boost, IPR%, engine oil temp and transmission temp, along with voltage. I can also clear codes with it and read DTCs so it I think it does a lot for the price.

I also installed a fuel pressure gauge on a steering column mount. That's as much information as I can process and I have alarms set on the Edge to go off at the readings I want.

To me this is just a preference kind of thing.

Steve
So basically the Edge will do what my Torque Pro app and 3 gauge pillar mount would do with just the addition of a pyro sensor. Do you feel the transmission temps are accurate thru the OBD2 port? I guess boost is thru the OBD, Does the Edge come with some sort of mounting system or do you buy one? Also the best place to get one that you know of.

I have installed A-pillar gauge before and they are not the easiest as the plug in play you describe.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Here is what I would encourage you to do, because again, in my mind this is more a personal choice. Do a lot of Internet searching and gather more information on the Edge as it is a different way of doing things than the pillar mount.

I can't draw a comparison with the Torque Pro as I have not used one. When I want a lot of data I have the Forscan on my laptop, but the reality is, the Edge works just fine for everyday driving. I don't know if it will capture all the codes your Torque Pro or my Forscan does, but it does capture and clear codes based on my experience.

Edge does make a mount that sits on the dash and I have mine on the left hand corner driver's side so it is easy to read. It dims itself down at night and I have no trouble reading it, nor does my wife although she often can not remember what the read-outs mean. I am sure you can find the mount on their website. The one I use just Valcros on so nothing to drill, etc. As I mentioned, I am also running a fuel pressure gauge separately as you can not get that from the OBD port.

As to temperature accuracy for the transmission, my numbers seem to make sense, but I have never run a gauge directly off the transmission. Before I added the 6.0 tranny cooler, I used to run about 190. After the cooler, I normally run 160-170 on a 95 -100 degree day and have never exceeded 190 on the steepest grades around here in Northeast TN. At the very least, it gives me a good base to know what the transmission is doing.

What I like about the Edge is it gives me many choices of what I want to monitor and yes, it is really simple to install. Good luck with whatever way you go.

Steve

Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 AM
ocracokenc
Junior User
Thanks Steve for the info. I have enough now that I will sit down and make decision. On a side note I noticed you mentioned NE TN. I am from a town in WNC called Weaerville, it is just north of Asheville. I have been in FL 5 years and I am going home this year. Anyway Thank You for the help