General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Looking to buy a powerboat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Looking to buy a powerboat.

Everything has been in a holding pattern around here (including our breath) for quite a while. Spring is coming, and this will be the second year in a row with no boat in the driveway or the garage - and that is completely unacceptable. I am a solar-powered sailor - in that absolutely nothing charges my batteries more than a day on the water with the sun out. My wife is of the same ilk, and anybody following along with the misadventures of the Tugly household (including "Stinky") would know that we could use a good battery charge.

I know there are boat owners out there. Hell... this forum has very capable tow vehicles, so we're not talking an 8-foot Livingston. In actuality, I'm looking for a trailerable boat that is likely to have an 8-foot Livingston as a tender.

Specs:
  • Top speed - at least 17-18 Knots to combat currents when they happen, but I am also looking at the gassers that can surpass 40 MPH.
  • Cabin height (upper and lower) - at least 6'1" so as not to bump my head.
  • Beam - 8'6" (the definition of trailerable).
  • Height on the trailer - 14' max.
  • Single engine (one is enough to maintain) - FWC... Bravo III or Volvo DuoProp if I/O, or with bow thruster if not. No outboards except for kicker/trolling purposes.
  • Proper stand-up head with shower - no porta-potties.
  • Minimum Length 25' (mid or aft cabin frequently needed when it's this short).
  • Max dry weight (boat only) 10,000 lbs.
  • Real galley - not just a sink with a slot for an ice chest.

To give you an idea of how flexible we are on boats I am considering, I've raised an eyebrow at the Carver 260 SE, the SeaSwirl 250 Aft Cabin, the 32' Nimble Wanderer, and of course - anything with the word "Tug" in it (I'm dead serious here). I've looked at the Ranger R-27 Tug, but I haven't found one within my spending cap of $50,000. I am really targeting the $20,000 to $30,000 market - but a tug can make me stretch out to grab it. I found a Nordic Tug 26 on a trailer near me that's just in my scope, but it has two things against it: 9'6" beam and a port-a-pottie. I have no idea how difficult it is to plumb a real marine head in fiberglass all buttoned up, but Stinky has taught me to buy what I want up-front - don't build it.

I could go on and on about the boats I'm looking at, but this is a Diesel forum. I'm not asking anybody to scour the web for me - my wife and I are doing that already. What I'm asking is... out of a brotherhood of tow vehicles, does anybody know of something out there that I might not be finding on my own?

P.S. No Bayliners. They may have improved since their bad years, but I haven't seen one yet that matches other boats I've already owned.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm retired Coast Guard Rich.

We should talk. I might be able to help you help me.

I'm off to work. I'll PM you later on my thoughts.

Denny

Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree with "charging batteries"
I myself own 6 boats, a 33' 1991 Predator off shore, a 26' 78 Avenger mini day,
17' 66 Wesco v-drive flatty
18' 66 Hallett v-drive flatty
18' 64 Tempo v-drive flatty sedan
12' Mini Hydro special construction

nothing... and I do mean NOTHING, is better than doing an excess of 80 knots and having the skin on your face slap against your cheek bones!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,661 Likes on 1,128 Posts
the best 2 days of owning a boat!
1) the day you get it
2) the day you sell it

Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,661 Likes on 1,128 Posts
BOAT;
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Old 01-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by helifixer
the best 2 days of owning a boat!
1) the day you get it
2) the day you sell it
Not my first rodeo - and some of the absolute worst days of my life that are burned into my memory involve selling a boat.

Originally Posted by helifixer
BOAT;
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
Try modding a 7.3L to pull the bigger boat - the boat is downright frugal in comparison.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
I'm retired Coast Guard Rich.

We should talk. I might be able to help you help me.

I'm off to work. I'll PM you later on my thoughts.

Denny
As long as it's not the one I saw while boating:

Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Some of my previous adventures with my own boats (regardless of size of boat):

Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
As long as it's not the one I saw while boating:

Don't overlook how well it sits at low tide.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You wanted boat pics! Planning on painting to an all blue and silver this spring...

Bust out another thousand doesn't even cover the basics, but you know that.

My dad had a sea ray 310 Sundancer from 89. He refinished the entire boat down to the upholstry and all. One of the prettiest older cabin cruisers I still have ever seen to this date. I have always been partial to the older boats(the real old woodys are awesome, and awesomely expensive!) , as much has really not changed IMO over the years last 20-30, and for what you are paying on the new ones its not even close to worth it. I have always been partial to SEARAY, CARVER, and CROWNLINE for anything outside of a weekend boat, anything above that scale is so far out of the common guys pocket book its not even funny.

Enjoy the search!

I will hold on to this 88 for a long time to come!

Cliff jumping wife, +60 feet

Old 01-27-2017, 05:26 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I thought about the OT-ness of this before I posted. Just to "skirt" the law without flat breaking it - I am including a lot of 7.3L talk in the conversation. The main thing is there is an audience of friends here that can contribute - or maybe even ask a question - like "Why 8'6" beam limit for towing?". Face it, 7.3L of diesel engine is not made just for lugging a pickup and driver around, it is difficult to fit in a 1/2 ton, and talk of big things we tow is not entirely OT. Going with this to a section of the forum that has F150 owners as a majority of the (three) readers is actually less on-topic... unless the thread title is "In need of blank stares".

Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The family truckster

I miss this boat!

Don't need no stinking 7.3 <<<this makes it forum appropriate.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been away from the boat world for a long time but Reinell (sp?) and Fiberform used to be top notch construction wise. Both still had hand laid construction of the hull and topsides, but I have no idea if that is still the case or if they are even still in business. Most builders have been using "chopper guns" for years. I used to subscribe to a publication called Wooden Boat so you know where my heart is. LOTS of sanding and varnish involved.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I have been away from the boat world for a long time but Reinell (sp?) and Fiberform used to be top notch construction wise. Both still had hand laid construction of the hull and topsides, but I have no idea if that is still the case or if they are even still in business. Most builders have been using "chopper guns" for years. I used to subscribe to a publication called Wooden Boat so you know where my heart is. LOTS of sanding and varnish involved.
Fiberform was made in Spokane, WA - and the fine folk that worked there likely worked for "Mercedes" when Fiberform closed the doors. I think an auto manufacturer to remain unnamed sued to have them change their name, and they changed it to Freedom boats of Mercedes. I don't know what happened to those guys, but Sunrunner (also from Spokane, WA) popped up about the time Freedom disappeared. I've owned a Mercedes 18' open bow and I've had a Fiberform 19' runabout - I think I saw the lineage.

Chopper guns are for the Bayliners of the world... maybe. The boat builders that wanted repeat customers (with deeper pockets) abandoned the gun and went to the bag or the mold. I'm looking at a very reasonably priced Glastron GS 279 that is manufactured with VEC technology that hit the industry in 2002. VEC has computers, robots, molds, temperature control - everything a growing boat needs. Many modern boat manufacturers even gelcoat the bilge. FG technology has come a long way in 70 years.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a powerboat.