Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Purchasing F-250 King Ranch 6.0L Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing F-250 King Ranch 6.0L Turbo Diesel

I posted this in that forum as well, but if anyone local wants to weigh in it would be very much appreciated. The one thing I could definitely use that would be more specific to this board would be a good shop to take the truck to have it fully inspected before making the purchase.

I'm new to the truck world so any help would be much appreciated. Need a truck that can haul an 8,000 pound trailer so that's the impetus for this purchase.

I've heard this engine can be a nightmare so if I'm not someone who spends my weekends under the hood is this simply a truck I should stay away from?

Also, with buying cars you go to KBB and it's pretty straightforward, but with lifted trucks so much money goes into them I wanna make sure I'm getting a reasonable deal and offering a fair price.

Truck has 70K on it, "meticulously maintained", 8" Fabtech lift, Fabtech Dirt Logic 4.0 shocks, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 steering stabilizers, 37x13.5x18 Toyo tires, 18" Weld Racing rims, Edge Programmer, Amp Research Power Steps, and a few other bells and whistles. Blue Book is like $22K and he's asking $30K (obviously this is far beyond a stock truck).

Anyway, any advice, feedback, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
$30K for a 6.0 ? I would RUN RUN RUN far away from that deal !!!!!!

They can't even get blue book, or even close to it for good reason....

Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 AM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by UP_There
$30K for a 6.0 ? I would RUN RUN RUN far away from that deal !!!!!!

They can't even get blue book, or even close to it for good reason....
I appreciate the response, and received similar sentiments in the main forum, so I guess here's my question. The truck has probably $10K in upgrades, so I feel like the seller asking more than blue book is reasonable. $30K is too high, I'd agree with that, but I know if I spent $10K in upgrades I'd want more than blue book as well.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL
I appreciate the response, and received similar sentiments in the main forum, so I guess here's my question. The truck has probably $10K in upgrades, so I feel like the seller asking more than blue book is reasonable. $30K is too high, I'd agree with that, but I know if I spent $10K in upgrades I'd want more than blue book as well.
If you spend $10k in upgrades, you'll have to prepare to mayyyyyybe recoup $2k of that in resale. But in the case of a 6.0......I would run, regardless. Do yourself a favor, and save for something different.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
I posted this in that forum as well, but if anyone local wants to weigh in it would be very much appreciated. The one thing I could definitely use that would be more specific to this board would be a good shop to take the truck to have it fully inspected before making the purchase.

I'm new to the truck world so any help would be much appreciated. Need a truck that can haul an 8,000 pound trailer so that's the impetus for this purchase.

I've heard this engine can be a nightmare so if I'm not someone who spends my weekends under the hood is this simply a truck I should stay away from?

Also, with buying cars you go to KBB and it's pretty straightforward, but with lifted trucks so much money goes into them I wanna make sure I'm getting a reasonable deal and offering a fair price.

Truck has 70K on it, "meticulously maintained", 8" Fabtech lift, Fabtech Dirt Logic 4.0 shocks, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 steering stabilizers, 37x13.5x18 Toyo tires, 18" Weld Racing rims, Edge Programmer, Amp Research Power Steps, and a few other bells and whistles. Blue Book is like $22K and he's asking $30K (obviously this is far beyond a stock truck).

Anyway, any advice, feedback, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

That guy is never going to get anything close to what he put in to it aftermarket parts even if he did sell it to you. If he does it is some young kid where money is no object and would rather buy one done then to do it himself.

Edge programmer from what I understand is not your quality of tuners. That may have changed but SCT would been a quality one.

I say this with respect that Edge makes great products but I have been led to believe that they didnt do it right for our 6.0s.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:20 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Edge has roasted many transmissions on 7.3's as well. There are many options out there, that actually help your truck, rather than just make it faster, and end up trashing it. I would definitely PASS on that truck.....

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Went for a test drive in a 2005 F-250 6.0L Turbo Diesel and there was like this air whistle sound I believe right after he got on it a bit while accelerating. He explained what it was but I forget what he said. Definitely wasn't the higher pitched sound of the turbo. Clearly like an air suction sound. Is this normal? I never heard it on the 2006 F-250 I went for a test drive in. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Went for a test drive in a 2005 F-250 6.0L Turbo Diesel and there was like this air whistle sound I believe right after he got on it a bit while accelerating. He explained what it was but I forget what he said. Definitely wasn't the higher pitched sound of the turbo. Clearly like an air suction sound. Is this normal? I never heard it on the 2006 F-250 I went for a test drive in. Thanks in advance.

If ypu can hear it while in the cab im wondering what it is too. Does it have a after market air filter cold air intake? Might be a leak in CaC pipes unless it seemed to have plenty of power and turbo boost?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 PM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Way outta the ballpark pricewise. These trucks are actually worth the most stock and unmolested with low miles as they are hard to find. Modded ones are more likely to be driven hard. Also if it has a tuner and stock head bolts, you may be on borrowed time with the head gaskets. At that price it better be fully bulletproofed with studs, o-ringed heads, egr cooler, etc.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 AM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Thx for the feedback.
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
If ypu can hear it while in the cab im wondering what it is too. Does it have a after market air filter cold air intake? Might be a leak in CaC pipes unless it seemed to have plenty of power and turbo boost?
Took it to a shop and they said it was a normal sound, just air being released (forget from where). He said if it happened while accelerating that's a problem, but if it happened after getting on it (3000-3500rpm) and then getting off the accelerator it was a normal occurrence.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I'm a little late to this party, but what did you decide on?

If you are still looking, what are your wants/needs, besides hauling an 8000 pound trailer? The gassers from the 90s can pull that off sort of, so it really comes down to a want more than a need here if it's just that.

6.0's are overrated and underrated probably more than any other diesel engine I can think of. They can make some good power and it's not ultra hard to do so. However, because of the EGR and head studs being such a catastrophic issue on them, buying a 6.0 that hasnt been bulletproofed, I would take a few grand off the asking price of any being sold like that, at a minimum. If they have been bulletproofed, ask who did it, when it was done, and if they have proof. 30K for any 6.0 right now, is ridiculous considering the 6.7's are already coming down to that and slightly lower in some instances.

The suspension work you rattled off means that truck is always going to need front end parts inspected/replaced, or it will seem that way. I have owned multiple lifted trucks and I always end up doing the front ends on them. That is some expensive suspension stuff, most likely done at a shop too, so most likely they were charged thousands of dollars for the install. Probably part of the reason they are asking 30k for it.

All in all, my recommendation is to pass on this truck. Everybody is willing to spend a different amount than somebody else, but asking 30k for that truck is in my opinion, way far off.
Personally, I'd find an obs 7.3 and drop some money into it, and save a bunch of money and not have to worry. Cheaper and easier to fix too.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
I know I'm a little late to this party, but what did you decide on?

If you are still looking, what are your wants/needs, besides hauling an 8000 pound trailer? The gassers from the 90s can pull that off sort of, so it really comes down to a want more than a need here if it's just that.

6.0's are overrated and underrated probably more than any other diesel engine I can think of. They can make some good power and it's not ultra hard to do so. However, because of the EGR and head studs being such a catastrophic issue on them, buying a 6.0 that hasnt been bulletproofed, I would take a few grand off the asking price of any being sold like that, at a minimum. If they have been bulletproofed, ask who did it, when it was done, and if they have proof. 30K for any 6.0 right now, is ridiculous considering the 6.7's are already coming down to that and slightly lower in some instances.

The suspension work you rattled off means that truck is always going to need front end parts inspected/replaced, or it will seem that way. I have owned multiple lifted trucks and I always end up doing the front ends on them. That is some expensive suspension stuff, most likely done at a shop too, so most likely they were charged thousands of dollars for the install. Probably part of the reason they are asking 30k for it.

All in all, my recommendation is to pass on this truck. Everybody is willing to spend a different amount than somebody else, but asking 30k for that truck is in my opinion, way far off.
Personally, I'd find an obs 7.3 and drop some money into it, and save a bunch of money and not have to worry. Cheaper and easier to fix too.
Greatly appreciate the response. I ended up finding a truck that was like 98% of this one for $21K so I went with that. I know it's still over KBB but it's pretty much exactly what I wanted, fully bulletproofed in the past year, and pretty much has all of the suggested upgrades for the 6.0L.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:54 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Old post.......but I am curious how the 6.0 is holding up, now that you've had it for awhile....

Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM
BGDDYKWL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by UP_There
Old post.......but I am curious how the 6.0 is holding up, now that you've had it for awhile....
Appreciate the follow-up. I ended up finding a virtually identical truck, just was an '05 and not a King Ranch, but essentially identical specs. Knock on wood it's been great so far. I only drive it occasionally but I had three shops check it out before buying it and all felt it was in very good shape so I rolled the dice. No problems so far.

And I know the Edge programmers have a terrible reputation but I'm a pretty conservative driver so I really like the fact that I don't have to get on it much for the truck to really move.

Had a baby recently though so ironically after all that searching I'll be getting rid of it soon. Lol.