Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

1985 f600 forestry package (Aerial lift/chip box) project

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I've gotten busy since last time on here but have got a lil more time to spare on the truck again... but it is running and operating great jus sitting still doesn't drive the best tho due to carb/vac issue and that's why I'm back here lol but i actually used truck to remove big maple from front yard and everything went smoothly got a very minor outrigger leak and lower controll valves leak jus a tad nothing huge no squirting or anything jus drips every 20 sec or so and the upper control valve nipple thing drips also but other then that operates great.... my main concerns right now are the vac ports on intake mani in pics... one has red and orange lines not hooked and other has black blue white lines that are plugged anyone have advise on where or what I should do with these and one other line the yellow circle on dizzy side of diaphragm it's plugged but should it go sum where.... Green circle hooks to side of carb... Thanks mike

Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Anyone familiar with the 1985 6.1l 370 engines? Im needing a push in the right direction here with carb/vac issues cuz now truck isn't wanting to run jus replaced starter solenoid cuz that went out somehow between 2 week starting intervals haha got in and didn't click or nothing but hydro brakes were screaming at me so i knew battery was fine but that's w.e been replacing those on my ford 300 chipper so I guess they jus make them to be replaced frequently ... but the carb/vac issue has got me stumped and can't find much about it cuz there so many different carbs and vacuum stuff but I can take as many pictures as possible to help anyone who knows these engines thanks mike

Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Yeah, take as many pictures as you can. Someone here will be sure to try to help out (including me, although I have no experience with the larger trucks).

The 370 from what I can remember is basically the same as the 429 - and the 460 is related but is an automotive version.

If the carb and distributor are a rev-limiter setup, that can add some other issues.

But first, what's really the issue? Won't idle? Can you keep it running if you keep your foot on the gas pedal? Or "feather" it - which means you're using the accelerator pump to feed gas to it.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Ok I think sumone said sumthing about that a while back when I was messing with it acc pump kit or sumthing havnt checked into that cuz I thought vac lines needed routed before messing with other stuff cuz having multiply problems at same time is hard to figure everythi g out lol but should I just plug vac lines up and do acc pump kit

Old 08-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
But yes feathering it was the way to run it but now I can't even get it to idle good enough to do that which is weird cuz 3 months ago it was running like a champ hell I took down a 50 ft maple tree in front yard with truck just idling but at 2k rpm for hydraulics to work good but now wont idle good

Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
That vac ports i have pictured most recently here are the ones that I have open all others are routed or plugged but is plugging them ok for it im not worried about emissions so I jus wanna route it so it runs and runs forever haha hopefully that's possible

Old 08-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass

Red line is plugged. Orange line goes to front of dizzy diaphram. Yellow is open. Green is fuel inlet. Black arrow kinda looks suspicious as if somethings missing not sure tho any one know about that or lines destination... this is pic of bottom of holly carb btw going to get carb kit for it now anf hoping acc pump thing is the fix but woulf like to hook up vac lines also thanks mike<br/><br/>

Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I thought the yellow port is "ported" vacuum which should be for the distributor.

Once you get it back together, see if the yellow has vacuum at idle or not. And check the orange too.

The black arrow points at an unmachined port for the fuel. They would machine this if the fuel was going to come from the other side, and leave the opposite side unmachined.

When you're trying to get it to idle, do you use the manual choke at all?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Yes manual choke only way to start it and orange line goes to front of dizzy diaphragm would yellow hook to side port of dizzy cuz my dizzy has two ports side one is plugged now

Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Yes manual choke is used for every startup...and I have to slowly release it or she dies. And orange goes to front of dizzy diaphragm would yellow go to the side port on my dizzy cuz now it is plugged? And should that bigger red port be plugged also?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
And how do you test for vacuum? Never done that other then blowing smoke into it to find vac leaks

Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
The red port is usually the PCV valve.

that carb doesn't look right for your engine and year. 1985 FORD F700 6.1L 370cid V8 Carburetor | RockAuto

It has an electric governor on the other side in that image, at least that's what I think it is.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
What does the electric govner do exactly? And where should that red line be hooked to if it's pcv

Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
It would be hooked to the PCV valve in the valve cover.

Can you post a picture of the engine itself? Maybe a left and right view?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass

If you look closely at dizzy diaphragm there a lil blue hose with bokt plugging it

Quick Reply: 1985 f600 forestry package (Aerial lift/chip box) project