Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A F-150 with 37 mpg

Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM
CGiron
Senior User
CGiron is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A F-150 with 37 mpg

Will be introduced in 2017

Achates Power | Opposed-Piston Engine Makers Tooling Up | Engines content from WardsAuto

That research program has yielded a 2-stroke 3-cyl. (6-piston) engine that Achates will install in two demonstration vehicles later this year. Images of the two test vehicles on a Powerpoint presentation suggest one vehicle is a Ford F-150 and the other a Chevrolet Suburban.

“The reason we went after those vehicles and targeted this product is they have the greatest need for fuel efficiency improvement, and they sell in tremendous volumes in this country,” Johnson says.

Early next year, customers will be able to drive the two demo vehicles, which will meet CAFE 2025, Tier 3, LEV III and Euro 6 emissions requirements, Johnson says. One will be diesel and the other gasoline compression-ignition.

The company promises combined city/highway CAFE of 37 mpg (6.4 L/100 km) and EPA fuel-economy ratings of 25/32 mpg (9.4-7.3 L/100 km).

With either fuel, output for this 2.7L 3-cyl. engine is rated at 270 hp and 479 lb.-ft. (650 Nm) of torque. The prototype engine intentionally matches the size of the smallest engine (the 2.7L EcoBoost V-6) currently available in the F-150.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Here's a better link for you...
Opposed-Piston - Achates

When I was an Engineman in the Navy back in the early 70's, there was a rather large diesel engine made by Fairbanks-Morse (pretty sure) that had twin crankshafts like this design. I was always intrigued by it and glad to see the technology is still around..

Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:22 PM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
Will be interesting to see these in action. I support "new" ideas like this, but there is a long way between "proof of concept" and a reliable engine archeture that can be mass produced so we can argue about component wear on the forum.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by onug View Post
Will be interesting to see these in action. I support "new" ideas like this, but there is a long way between "proof of concept" and a reliable engine archeture that can be mass produced so we can argue about component wear on the forum.
The only POC here would be the miniaturization of existing proven technology, then using it to propel a pickup truck.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:21 PM
CGiron
Senior User
CGiron is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Then if it´s some 1500 $ cheaper to produce and it might be produced in existing transferlines with some minor tooling it is bound to be a hit if it´s on top of that is smaller and have cleaner emmisson that already passes the CAFE and EPA limits för 2025
Soon the first one might be out on the streets.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM
jjlrrw
Senior User
jjlrrw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why the need for six injectors? Seems like three should do?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jjlrrw View Post
Why the need for six injectors? Seems like three should do?
Could be to reduce the overall duty-cycles of the injectors. I've seen it done on other engines for this reason. IE, injector 1 fires and starts to close just as injector 2 fires for the same duration. Net result is a longer injection cycle without overheating the injectors.

-- edit --
One could also presume that BOTH injectors "could" be fired simultaneously, thereby giving a much larger volume of fuel. This could be done for greater power demands..

Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Very interesting stuff, I'll have to read up on this tonight.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Here's their website, (pronounced a-KAY-tees)

Designing an Opposed-Piston Engine for Light-Duty Applications - Achates

Motor Trend

http://www.motortrend.com/news/at-le...piston-engine/

Interesting reading. It seems as if they are able to make this exotic engine clean burning. Now if they can make it quiet and reliable they are probably on to something.

The average guy wont be able to work on it himself, but most engines have been that way for quite sometime now. And these days the engine your vehicle comes with isn't overhauled at the garage down the block. It's pulled and replaced with another that was rebuilt elsewhere.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 PM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
Great articles. Having 9 development partners is good, but I still think if this engine was so amazing it would already be in production. Maybe the tech has finally caught up to solve some fundamental issues. I'm assuming the fuel needs to be premixed with oil. That could be a problem for the average consumer, but maybe not a deal breaker for everyone.

Still...exciting stuff

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 PM
theboom
Senior User
theboom is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't want a 2.7l making 479ft lbs. 3.5l is small enough

Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
I don't want a 2.7l making 479ft lbs. 3.5l is small enough
Why not?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 PM
theboom
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
The average guy wont be able to work on it himself, but most engines have been that way for quite sometime now. And these days the engine your vehicle comes with isn't overhauled at the garage down the block. It's pulled and replaced with another that was rebuilt elsewhere.
VERY big problem and another BIG reason I don't want it. The statement of most engines being that way is false.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 PM
theboom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Why not?
The smaller you make it, the less I want it. 3.5l is small enough, I wish they would make a 4.0l ecoboost. The smaller you go the worse the torque curve becomes (equally built), the more stressed the motors come from the factory, last fewer and fewer miles, sounds more and more like a fart can.

You want mpg? Too bad, You bought a truck. For the epa crap, i would rather a hybrid truck than a smaller engine and that what they are doing. But I would prefer to stick to gas only with respectable sized engines. I don't just look at the power numbers and mpg that manufactures throw in your face, I think about all the other stuff. Because there are major downsides to all these tiny turbo engines that manufactures are doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A F-150 with 37 mpg

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: