Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 7.3 Powerstroke Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright here's an update guys, swapped a known good PCM out of my buddies 97' 7.3 and got crank to come up using his PCM so I know my PCM needs to be rebuilt. I didn't have the good scanner when I did the swap so I couldn't read ICP Pressure or IPR %. Only tach. That being said knowing I had the tach issue fixed I still couldn't get the truck to fire with his good PCM. Truck still isn't filling the High Pressure Oil rails. It pressureizes the rails a little bit because I cranked the motor for about a minute then unscrewed one of those fittings on top of the rails (because it still wasn't trying to start or puffing any smoke) to see if it was filling the rail with oil but the rail was bone dry. It did hiss when I took out the plug however so it was pressureized with air. I didn't check the voltages on the IRP with his good PCM in there but I did with my bad one and got 11-13v on the one wire and 0 v on the other. At this point I'm going to guess and say my IPR is stuck shut/not working? I say this because I pulled the one High Pressure Oil line off the HPOP and only a drop of oil came out so the HPOP isn't even pumping oil to the lines on the actual pump. I'd like to think it's because the IPR isn't allowing the oil to the lines because it's stuck shut or broken and stuck shut. What do you guys think now knowing all this?

I sent the PCM out to get rebuilt and will expect that back in a few weeks, also waiting on the IDM to return because they sent me one with a fault. So yeah I'm thinking/hoping it's the IPR at this point but what do you guys think?

Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Don't even sweat it until you get the new pcm. If it ran fine with your friends pcm, it's likely the ipr not receiving signal.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 0500757Arf
Alright here's an update guys, swapped a known good PCM out of my buddies 97' 7.3 and got crank to come up using his PCM so I know my PCM needs to be rebuilt. I didn't have the good scanner when I did the swap so I couldn't read ICP Pressure or IPR %. Only tach. That being said knowing I had the tach issue fixed I still couldn't get the truck to fire with his good PCM. Truck still isn't filling the High Pressure Oil rails. It pressureizes the rails a little bit because I cranked the motor for about a minute then unscrewed one of those fittings on top of the rails (because it still wasn't trying to start or puffing any smoke) to see if it was filling the rail with oil but the rail was bone dry. It did hiss when I took out the plug however so it was pressureized with air. I didn't check the voltages on the IRP with his good PCM in there but I did with my bad one and got 11-13v on the one wire and 0 v on the other. At this point I'm going to guess and say my IPR is stuck shut/not working? I say this because I pulled the one High Pressure Oil line off the HPOP and only a drop of oil came out so the HPOP isn't even pumping oil to the lines on the actual pump. I'd like to think it's because the IPR isn't allowing the oil to the lines because it's stuck shut or broken and stuck shut. What do you guys think now knowing all this?

I sent the PCM out to get rebuilt and will expect that back in a few weeks, also waiting on the IDM to return because they sent me one with a fault. So yeah I'm thinking/hoping it's the IPR at this point but what do you guys think?
The IPR could be stuck open

Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
82F2urd It didn't run at all with my buddies PCM. It got a tach signal with his PCM but still wasn't filling the high pressure oil rails. I couldn't read the ICP/IPR data as I did not have my fancy scanner when I swapped the PCM. I only had my buddies tuner which only read tach. The oil rail pressurizes with air as I can hear it "hiss" when I crack the fitting on the rail off just no oi in the raill. Bone Dry. It IS getting oil in the reservoir about half an inch from the top and the HPOP gear is 100% torqued down to spec so the oil is there and the HPOP is spinning with the motor but it's pumping zero even into the lines feeding the rails.

Lead Head would a stuck open IPR cause no oil at all to get to the lines feeding the oil rails?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
82F2urd It didn't run at all with my buddies PCM. It got a tach signal with his PCM but still wasn't filling the high pressure oil rails. I couldn't read the ICP/IPR data as I did not have my fancy scanner when I swapped the PCM. I only had my buddies tuner which only read tach. The oil rail pressurizes with air as I can hear it "hiss" when I crack the fitting on the rail off just no oi in the raill. Bone Dry. It IS getting oil in the reservoir about half an inch from the top and the HPOP gear is 100% torqued down to spec so the oil is there and the HPOP is spinning with the motor but it's pumping zero even into the lines feeding the rails.

Lead Head would a stuck open IPR cause no oil at all to get to the lines feeding the oil rails?
A stuck open IPR will bypass all of the HPOP oil as far as I know.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 AM
_Trekker
Junior User
First question would be are you building base oil pressure? Your oil pressure gauge is showing pressure correct? If you aren't building base pressure, the high pressure is not fed. Also skimming through I saw you say you were cranking for a minute or two at a time, you shouldn't do that. Crank for 10-15 seconds and wait 30 and repeat.

EDIT:
If you are getting base oil pressure and you are 100% sure it is a high pressure oil problem it is either an HP pump, HP oil system leak or your IPR valve.
You can try removing the IPR and capping off the port for it with a pipe fitting. Unplug the UVC harnesses so the truck will not start and crank it over. If the ICP is above 500 at this point you need and new IPR.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
Originally Posted by _Trekker
First question would be are you building base oil pressure? Your oil pressure gauge is showing pressure correct? If you aren't building base pressure, the high pressure is not fed. Also skimming through I saw you say you were cranking for a minute or two at a time, you shouldn't do that. Crank for 10-15 seconds and wait 30 and repeat.

EDIT:
If you are getting base oil pressure and you are 100% sure it is a high pressure oil problem it is either an HP pump, HP oil system leak or your IPR valve.
You can try removing the IPR and capping off the port for it with a pipe fitting. Unplug the UVC harnesses so the truck will not start and crank it over. If the ICP is above 500 at this point you need and new IPR.
I am building base pressure because the reservoir drains if it sits for a few weeks with out cranking and fills right back up in like 15 seconds after the first crank after sitting for that long a time. That being said the gauge on the dash does move a bit, not to a normal operating position but it moves a bit.

I do crank about 10-15 seconds with rest time in between, i meant by the minute or two was that was about how long total I'd be cranking the motor over in those 10-15 second periods.

What harness is the UVC? I'll have to take the IRP out and get a fitting and bring the good scanner home to test the ICP with the IPR out. Thanks for the input by the way!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
My mistake, I breezed through and thought you'd said it ran. It sounds like it's time to take the ipr out and check it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 PM
_Trekker
Junior User
I am building base pressure because the reservoir drains if it sits for a few weeks with out cranking and fills right back up in like 15 seconds after the first crank after sitting for that long a time. That being said the gauge on the dash does move a bit, not to a normal operating position but it moves a bit.

I do crank about 10-15 seconds with rest time in between, i meant by the minute or two was that was about how long total I'd be cranking the motor over in those 10-15 second periods.

What harness is the UVC? I'll have to take the IRP out and get a fitting and bring the good scanner home to test the ICP with the IPR out. Thanks for the input by the way!
Normally the oil pressure gauge will show full normal pressure when cranking. The UVC harness is the valve cover gasket (under valve cover harness) along with the injector harness.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM
0500757Arf
Senior User
Ok guys so I sent my PCM out to get refurbished after swapping the known good PCM in and getting crank numbers from the known good PCM. Well they called me and said they can't find anything wrong with mine and that there's nothing they can do for me. So I'm getting my old PCM shipped back to me with nothing fixed on it. Are PCM's relatively interchangeable or no? Cause we have two different PCM's listed on one of the parts warehouse websites at the shop with lists of model numbers that will work with each PCM but the model number of my PCM isn't on either list. Are PCM's relatively interchangeable or do I need one with my exact model number?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Ok guys so I sent my PCM out to get refurbished after swapping the known good PCM in and getting crank numbers from the known good PCM. Well they called me and said they can't find anything wrong with mine and that there's nothing they can do for me. So I'm getting my old PCM shipped back to me with nothing fixed on it. Are PCM's relatively interchangeable or no? Cause we have two different PCM's listed on one of the parts warehouse websites at the shop with lists of model numbers that will work with each PCM but the model number of my PCM isn't on either list. Are PCM's relatively interchangeable or do I need one with my exact model number?
As long as it's from the same year and type (manual or auto) it should be fine.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:56 PM
7.3only
New User
ipr sensor is what was wrong with my 7.3 when i got it. try it

Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
delete stupid mobile site replied to wrong thread