1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - License Plates. What states use YOM plates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by blsd49

Vintage license plate

In Idaho I took plate (just one required in '49 even though 2 are required now) to local DMV where they took a picture and description and sent it to Boise. After about a week someone called me and said it was denied because the statute only referred to passenger vehicles and the FR on my plate means Farm. I argued that it is a farm truck. After about another week they called again with approval and said they were changing the statute!
Good for you ! you fought the bureaucracy and won!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:39 PM
itsnotavan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the UK you are allowed to plate the vehicle in the original style that suits the year of the vehicle (white or silver on black pre 1973) or the current style (black on white for the font and black on yellow for the rear). My 1950 F3 was imported last year and after paying the taxes and duties the DVLA issued me a registration number appropriate to the vintage of the truck, i then took the paperwork to a DVLA approved supplier and they made me a reg plate and gave me the option of original style or new

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...as_territories

Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I bet no state allows for YOM plates and daily driving.
In California the YOM plates can be used on daily drivers, no use restrictions, no special registration. You need an original pair of plates, with 45-46 being the exception since only 1 plate was issued, and they should be commercial for trucks, but they don't always stick to that. You play a little extra in registration fees each year on top of normal registration. But you don't have any restrictions on how or when the vehicle is used. My '46 1/2 ton has a YOM correct PC (Pneumatic Commercial) 1945 base with 46 tab, and I'm free to use the truck however and whenever. California allows '72 and older trucks and '69 and older cars to have YOM plates.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Cool! Glad to hear that.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Calspal99
New User
Here's the NC rule and it is significantly easier than any of these previous states noted. When you register your car you will get a brand new current year tag and pay the normal fees and taxes based on age of he car. Usually an insignificant amount because the "book" value of your 35 year old (or older) car is next to nothing. No inspection or emissions required. Hang the YOM plate on your classic and put the current year tag in your glove box to show Johnny Law if you ever get stopped. I also carry a copy of the NC statute as proof, just in case the guy that stops me doesn't know the law.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:11 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
in florida you have to send the plate to tallahasee.then they will verify if it is original-not stolen-and in great shape.you have to send a check with the plate.if everything is approved they will send you your plate and your registration.as far as I know there is nothing against driving every day,and no restrictions.i have 2 vehicles and both have
y o m plates on them.when I sold my 51 f1 I kept the 1951 plate (florida is a one plate state)

Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 PM
jcbingcougar
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Washington allows YOM and only requires one plate, although you can run with both if you like. You have to have current tabs when you switch to YOM and the only additional cost is a one time fee of $35. There are the usual restrictions like not using it as a daily driver and no hauling in trucks. I have them on all my classic vehicles.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Connecticut allows use of year of manufacture plates but I'm fairly sure you have to have two. Unfortunately, I only have this one that I picked up at a flea market a few years ago.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
I'm tellin' ya, if the statehouse folks would allow repop antique plates somebody would sell a bunch of 'em. Hell, if they were smart they'd offer them, instead of or at least in addition to the "Famous Mosquitos" specialty plates and all that stuff they offer.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I'm tellin' ya, if the statehouse folks would allow repop antique plates somebody would sell a bunch of 'em. Hell, if they were smart they'd offer them, instead of or at least in addition to the "Famous Mosquitos" specialty plates and all that stuff they offer.
California has a program similar to that, called Legacy plates. Any car can register to have a specialty plate in the classic yellow letter on black background, such as the '63 issue had. Of course, these are an extra cost yearly. If you're really lucky, you can have a car that has maintained California registration since the '60's, in which case it can still it's plate from then. My '57 Ford has the same plate it was issued in 1963.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow that's 16 US states so far. I'm going to try and find each of the states DMV statue that I have so far... Thanks everyone. Please keep them coming!

Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM
dcavan001
Senior User
Not in BC

No YOM plates in British Columbia. There are programs for collector plates and for antique vehicles, each with very stringent requirements. Ours is a daily driver, so we are stuck with everyday blue-and-whites. Maybe when we win the lottery we will pop for vanity plates.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Here in Iowa, they started requiring registration plates in 1904, but ya had to roll yer own till the state provided them in 1911. It's also unlawful to have any bracket around the plate or anything, if it obscures being able to read all the letters and numbers.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Here is a pic of my PA 54 truck plate that I plan on using as my Yom plate whenever I get around to it. But then I'll have to find another one for the front.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:51 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Wow that's 16 US states so far. I'm going to try and find each of the states DMV statue that I have so far... Thanks everyone. Please keep them coming!

Here is the one for Maine...

Title 29-A SS457
3. Contemporary plates. An owner of an antique auto, horseless carriage, street rod or antique motorcycle may use registration plates that were issued in the same year the antique vehicle was manufactured, as long as the motor vehicle: A. Is over 25 years old;

B. Is registered as an antique vehicle; and

C. Carries a valid antique motor vehicle registration certificate and plates.

4. Display of contemporary plates. Contemporary registration plates must have matching plate numbers, be affixed to both the front and rear and conspicuously bear the year of manufacture.

Quick Reply: OT - License Plates. What states use YOM plates?