Sponsored by: Moser

Truck rolled into ditch while in park

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Halguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck rolled into ditch while in park

First time post, apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I parked my 2010 F150 XLT at work and went inside, 10 minutes later it had rolled 25 feet and into a ditch. Thankfully it didn't hit anything or anyone.

My first thought was that I had somehow forgotten to put it in park but when I went over to the truck, I checked and it was still in park and the display "lit up" on the "P". Also, a buddy of mine pointed out that the key won't come out unless its in park.

And so my insurance is taking car of the damage but right now I'm driving around with my "parking rock" because my parking brake doesn't work and even if it did, I want to know the root cause of what happened for peace of mind that it won't happen again.

I never use the parking break and my truck was in 2WD at the time.

Luckily it was a shallow ditch and so I threw it in 4WD and backed out.

Any insight would help, I checked Ford's website and called there customer service line and there are no recalls on that model year.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's interesting...you didn't list your location, but there's snow on the ground over much of the country. Any chance the rear wheels slid as your truck rolled into the ditch?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Halguy
New User
Pavement was dry, located in Nova Scotia, Canada (hello from your neighbor to the north!). When I go in park, I guess that only "locks" the front wheels from moving, does it lock via the brakes or via the transmission holding the wheels in place?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Halguy
Pavement was dry, located in Nova Scotia, Canada (hello from your neighbor to the north!). When I go in park, I guess that only "locks" the front wheels from moving, does it lock via the brakes or via the transmission holding the wheels in place?
Park doesn't do anything for the front wheels. It essentially locks the output shaft of the transmission which prevents the driveshaft from turning, which in turn holds the rear wheels in place. If your rear wheels are on ice, the truck will slide easily in park unless you're in 4WD.

The most common cause for this is the transfer case stuck in neutral, or the parking cable incorrectly adjusted.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Does that 2010 use a cable to connect the shift linkage to the transmission?

If it's anything like my Navi, that shift cable has a plastic adjustment do-dad where it connects to the tranny. The adjustment may have come loose or the ball stud it fits over may have worn, so when you put the shifter lever into park, the tranny itself may actually be somewhere between R and P.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Isn't this all electronic now? This is becoming an issue on "some" Chrysler products due to electronic issues.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 AM
crabhab
Senior User
Your trucks parking pawl could be worn and have slipped out of place. All manufacturers suggest using the parking brake to reduce wear on the pawl. I have started using the parking brake even on the slightest of hills.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I always wonder about using the E brake in winter climates. Ever have one freeze and not release? I have. Maybe just old school me.
No answer for the OP, sorry, but would like to know why this happened.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Coupleofords
Senior User
Any photos?
First thing I'd have done is taken photos.
Also, there are several references to the FWD system...any chance the transfer case was in N?
Also, do you have column of console shifter?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW, I grew up in northeast OH; we got (and they still get) a lot of lake effect snow. For the last 19 years, I've lived in Louisville, KY. We get some snow here; and we also get ice storms here.

Nonetheless, early on in my driving career, I did have my parking brake freeze up; upon having it serviced, the mechanic recommended I use the parking brake every time I park. He said the daily use was good for the parking brake system keeping it corrosion free and less likely to freeze in place. I have been using my parking brake every time ever since. Moreover, I'm certain to apply it prior to releasing my foot from the main brakes; and don't release the parking brake until my foot is on the main brakes; this keeps me from ever loading the parking pawl in the transmission with the weight of the vehicle (or my trailer when towing). That horrible CLUNK when someone shifts out of "park" when the parking pawl has been loaded with the weight of the vehicle makes me cringe. I know, I'm very '****' over this; but it seems to work.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Using the emergency brake every time is a good idea. (Im not one that does shame on me))

Old 01-24-2017, 06:57 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Using the emergency brake every time is a good idea. (Im not one that does shame on me))
If the rears on are ice, since the parking brake puts a hold on the rears only, then the truck could still slide.

Originally Posted by johnday
I always wonder about using the E brake in winter climates. Ever have one freeze and not release? I have. Maybe just old school me.
Yep, once on my '99 Explorer (2 vehicles ago) and it was rather frustrating.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Yep, they can freeze up when used infrequently. Last month our van was in the shop waiting for parts for the wheelchair lift. Made the mistake of setting the parking brake on the loaner van...two hours later it was behind a wrecker on the way to the shop after I couldn't get the damn thing to release.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by eriebasin
and don't release the parking brake until my foot is on the main brakes; this keeps me from ever loading the parking pawl in the transmission with the weight of the vehicle (or my trailer when towing). That horrible CLUNK when someone shifts out of "park" when the parking pawl has been loaded with the weight of the vehicle makes me cringe.
Yup, this. My driveway is a hill right to the garage. Truck is typically in the garage but if I park outside for any reason, parking brake goes on while in neutral, then I release the brakes and make sure it doesn't roll. Then I put it in park. When Leaving, foot on main brakes, shift to neutral, release parking brake then into drive.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Halguy
New User
Sorry for the delay in responding, thanks for all the suggestions. I took it to my local dealer and they are saying that the cable than runs from the shifter to the transmission had stretched and so while the shifter handle said it was in park and allowed me to take my key out, the transmission was not in park. I'm not sure if stretched was the word he used, he said there "was play" in it. Anyways, he seemed quite competent and confident this was the issue.

I haven't been able to re-create the issue, whenever I put it in park the truck won't budge. Repair is taking place tomorrow and so I'll try and get a better explanation.

Quick Reply: Truck rolled into ditch while in park