Official suggestions to Ford concerning the new Bronco thread...tell em what you want. - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2020 Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco!

Official suggestions to Ford concerning the new Bronco thread...tell em what you want.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 PM
New User

Heltoupe is starting off with a positive reputation.
4 doors do not maketh a Bronco And never will

I'll be the first to admit using the Thunderbird and GT as 2 door examples without clarification was a poor move. I mentioned them because those are the kind of chances Ford has taken in the past, and I believe a 2 door Bronco would be exponentially more successful than either of those, provided Ford pull the trigger and eschew what may be current market theory.

In fact, I say Ford should re-create the market for 2 door personal sports utility vehicles much like they did back in '66 when the Bronco debuted. 30 years later and it's on the precipice of a return, and those 2 doors didn't hurt it--they defined it.

But let's look at the Thunderbird. First, a two seat [email protected] chaser, then redesigned into a square--still 2 doors, but now with 4 seats. It could never really compete with the [email protected] offering, so sales lagged and the bean counters said 'let's make it a 4 door!' Riiiight. How many of those haven't been destroyed in 5 years of CHiPs episodes? So they went back to the 2 door, turbo'd and supercharged it, then brought it back for it's 50th by doing the retro thing which, while cool looking, was overpriced and anemic. Still, 2 doors for 90% of those 50 years.

Has their ever been a 4 door Mustang? Would you ever even consider buying one? Heck no, because it's a sports car and sports cars aren't supposed to have 4 doors--at lease in America, unless you're a M&par product, and even then. 4 doors buys you a sedan.

The Bronco was, is, and still should be the TRUE sports utility vehicle--sports denoting 2 doors of course. The term SUV is, in my mind, misapplied to 4 door family vehicles like the Escape, Edge, Explorer and Expedition, and while body on frame makes the latter more rugged (though that never stopped Range Rovers, mud pits notwithstanding), it hardly makes it...sporty. In fact, I'd argue that a crew cab pick up is sportier than an Expedition--though maybe not one that's Raptor-based, if that ever comes around.

Bottom line is, much like a 4 door Thunderbird or Mustang would be sacrilegious, so, too, would making the sports car of utility vehicles--the Bronco--grow two more apertures. Need 4 doors? Buy one of the E-SUVs. Need 4 doors but wanna do serious off roading? Buy a crew cab Raptor.

But if you're really a Bronco guy or gal and wouldn't ride in a Jeep unless you were re-enacting the battle of Hanoi for one of Hollywood's latest, then the 30 year-proven history of Broncos, their 2 doors, removable roofs, body-on-frame construction and initial solid axles are just what Henry ordered.

If you think you need a 4 door Bronco, maybe you should be shopping for a Hov-r-Round, instead. Before you do, remember that a proper Bronco can cure your ails, even if you don't think you have any. That's just what it did when it answered a question the public didn't ask, and soldiered on for 30 successful years.

Now Ford is asking. Don't mess it up.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Ford's definition of "messing it up" is not selling enough Broncos to make money. There used to be a LOT of 2-door sports utes out there, from Suzuki Samurais to Dodge Raiders/Mitsu Monteros, to Geo Trackers, Isuzu Rodeos, big Broncos and Blazers, big and small Broncos, etc etc. They are gone. They didn't sell enough of them. The 4Runner used to be a 2-door pickup with a cap and is now the sole entry in the tough 190" long SUV market....and in TRD Pro trim is a darn capable beast.

To suggest that a 220" long Raptor Supercab or a 232" long Raptor Crew Cab that is 86" wide (as wide as an H1 Hummer) is a replacement for a 190" long, 72" wide Everest-based SUV is ridiculous. A 190" long 4-door Everest-based SUV is a far closer replacement for a 175" long 2-door SUV that is the same width. I want a 4 door Bronco. I would never buy any F150, especially a Raptor (which is wider) as a replacement for what is basically a tough compact/mid sized SUV.

George
Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
New User

Once again: THERE SHALL BE NO 4 DOOR BRONCOS!!

I'd say different strokes for different folks, but I'm getting the feeling here that, at worst, many of you who want a 4 door Bronco have never owned or ridden in any iteration of the classic or full-sized models and thus have no clue as the true nature of the original sports utility vehicle, or, at best, have an idea of the allure of a 2 door sports ute, but have too much family (or superfluous Gander Mountain prepped crap) to shoe horn into one.

A Bronco is a horse for a modern day cowboy--the lone, prepared, but otherwise traveling lightly man who needed to get somewhere--or get something somewhere--despite the terrain, with all the agility he and his steed could muster. There were no double saddled or extra capacity horses--I.e. No need nor desire for 4 doors--because if he did have company, it was another cowboy with his own personal horse.

Today, most families have a 4 door SUV to haul the brood, and usually a second, less capable hauler, or, perhaps, fun, personal car, to compliment the utility fleet. This could be a sports, classic, convertible, or, egads, personal sport ute, used on weekends or at times when maximum Kid and Soccer equipment et al haulage is unwarranted. Used at times when you want to air out your head with a bit of mud holing, rock crawling, wind in your face rather than the kids low range fun. No need for 4 doors because nobody's using them.

In fact, I'd argue that you wouldn't imperil family or guests in anywhere your 4 door family SUV could go quite nicely, and, therefore, a more capable 4 door Bronco is superfluous, unless you want to compare it a show and shine to the latest from Jeep.

A final example of how a 2 door Bronco would fit today is a glimpse at my youth. My mom had a Country Squire wagon to do her shopping and haul us kids around. Dad, on the other hand, had a Mustang convertible, which, while he drove it to work daily and was suitable to haul passengers and groceries, was the weekend 'date' car--the personal vehicle he took Mom out in, or, when we got older, let us take our dates out in. Personally, I'd have preferred the wagon as I was a horny little *******, but you get my point.

Now, Ford messed nothing up by building a supremely profitable 2 door Bronco for 30 years, and it can be argued that neither did D&dge or [email protected], with the possible exception that the latter two's offerings didn't come close to the panache of the Bronco. Ford just saw that the market could absorb an even larger SUV in the Expedition and Navigator, replete with more profitability, and defined the segment.

Now, they have to bring the traditional Bronco back and RE-DEFINE the segment for 2 door sport utes because no one who's actually owned or spent considerable time in a Bronco will ever go for a re-badged Everest that shares nothing but a name with the original and one and only...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
I bought an F100 pickup in 1978 as my first new vehicle. I really wanted a '78 Bronco but it was 8 grand instead of 5 grand.

I am now 65 years old and often carry friends in the back seat who I would not expect to be able to climb into the back seat of a 2 door anything. I'm a healthy old rock and roller and bicyclist but have friends who need canes or walkers to get around.

In the 60's, we had silly stuff like 230" long Coupe DeVilles with 2 doors, and 6000 lb Eldorados with 2 doors, 500 cubic inch engines, and less back seat knee room than a Focus has. I remember the days when 4 door cars were jokes. NOBODY wants a '62 Chevy 4-door.

I have owned *7* 2-seat cars plus a regular cab pickup in my 47 years of driving, including 2 Corvettes, couple 390 2-seat AMX's, English sports cars, etc. At one point the 2 vehicles in my house (for my ex-wife and me) were a '76 Corvettte and a regular cab '78 F100 pickup...

And for a tough 2-door 4 wheeler, I had a Toyota FJ40 Land Crusher as my daily driver for a couple years. That one made any stock Bronco look wimpy. And I drove real 2-door 60's musclecars as daily drivers for years too.

Companies keep trying to redefine market niches like the boulevard 2-seater (failed 2002-05 T-bird--add the Buick Reatta, Caddy XLR, that Chrysler LeBaron thingie), small 2 seat sports coupe (Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS), and as much as real enthusiasts seem to beg for these niche vehicles, they don't seem to buy them.

Jeep makes a 2-door Wranger--if anything defines that segment, it is that vehicle. And sales are declining with the availability of the 4 door. How are regular cab pickups doing?

I enjoy your enthusiasm and enjoy this discussion; please don't take anything personally, but I have watched auto markets rise and fall since I was 10 years old and reading car magazines in 1962.

My garage queen is a '91 BMW 318is (one year sport model), bright red, and a 2 door of course--the 4 door 318i of that year was completely dorky and I would NEVER drive one--and I mean that. I've owned it since 1994.

If you want 2 doors, buy a Wrangler, or better yet buy an old FJ40 Land Cruiser--they are going up in value BIGTIME. You would have to deal with a truck trans with non-synchro first gear, and a 4.2 liter six with a 1 barrel carb, 11 mpg, a bone crushing ride, manual locking front hubs, and probably no A/C, and mine had manual steering too. I would choose that if I had to survive a nuclear holocaust, though

Take care,
George
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM
New User

2 doors redux ad nauseum

First off, to George: I hope you aren't offended by my fervent diatribes and ode two a 2 door only Bronco--it certainly isn't my intention to insult, offend, or otherwise excascerbate anyone's sciatica with my prayers for a particular kind of second coming for the Bronco.

That said, your post graphically and reasonably describes why you'd like a 4 instead of 2 door Bronco: your age, and, apparently, the age and physicality of your potential passengers. I mean no disrespect--I'm just over 40 and not nearly as flexible as my high school days, and completely understand: some days I'm far less tolerant of my '75 Stroppe, despite its power brakes and steering, and would much rather pile into my wife's leather clad 4WD Escape, crank the AC and Hair Nation on the built in Sirius XM.
On the other hand, if the 2020 bore the heart and soul of the original Bronco (2 doors, solid axle, removable roof) WITH the comfort accoutrements of the Escape, I'd leap into it before anything else. And if I had passengers that couldn't get in, I'd take the Escape--or my Expedition, instead.
And I think that's why the cars you mentioned failed. The Reatta, Caddy, and LeBaron were conceived for an older dynamic who, while some spry like yourself, may have wanted the lesser so to come along for the early special and couldn't, because of ingress/egress issues--which, as you've stated, transcend mere 2 doors and are obstacles in many 4 doors. Therefore, they became market failures. The Suburu and its Toyota twin are marked toward a younger, entry level and enthusiast crowd, and happen to be doing as well as can be expected in this growing economy.

So while Bronco lovers and purists like myself will certainly buy one to relive our youth, the reincarnation should be geared towards the very same youth/enthusiast/entry level market the BRZ and FR-whatever are geared to. Their only ingress problem is going into their wallets to buy one.

Again--no offense or ageism intended. I, too, have owned a 77 F100, and even a similar E30 325is (2 door of course), and am well aware of the venerable 'Yota. The fact is, you've really never owned a Bronco or lived with either iteration enough to judge just how difficult it would be to bring along elder or impaired passengers. You can impute it, but you really never know until you try. And if they're too brittle to try, that's when you turn to your full size 4 door SUV or Crown Vic, even.

I guess just because you think you need a 4 door Bronco based on your needs--especially never having had any real experience in one--doesn't make it so for all, or even most of us who demand the original 2 door set-up.

For those very few that don't, perhaps CenturIan can re-emerge and build you a one-off unit.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Postmaster

rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
I haven't seen George as the type to take anything personally in here, mainly just gives us realistic posts of what is likely to come.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Postmaster

I think this is a fine discussion and I LOVE alternate viewpoints--I have a good and solid history on FTE and feel naked without a Ford truck right now. You write well and are passionate. I wrote my college thesis on the rise and fall of the musclecar...

The sales of 4 door Wranglers vs 2 door Wranglers tells the story of the current marketplace all too well. Likewise the sales of 4 door crew cab pickups.

People who carry passengers expect to get them in and out. AND people with small to medium kids NEED access to fancy rear-facing car seats as opposed to just having the kid climb in back like in the old days....consider the family buyers who need to buckle a small child in the back seat facing backwards....and getting the kid out if the car is on fire, under water, or upside down. I think that would be easier with 4 doors instead of 2...

And I, for one, like a cargo area long enough to carry a bicycle without having to take wheels off. If the cargo area is 6 or 7 feet long, having rear side doors make for a better way to access cargo "zones" while traveling. Getting to *stuff* in the middle of a long hatch or SUV is a bear if you only have the hatch and the front seat doors.

I have a minivan to do that (after 30 years of full size vans), but as a DD and a winter driver, would like a tough 4 door sport ute to carry a bike and some stuff. And get me to some campsites and trailheads, and thru deep snow in Michigan winters. And look good when it's dirty. I want a Ford TRUCK, dangit. I have owned a full size pickup or full size van continuously since 1978, ending in 2016, so 38 years of owning a real truck. My minivan is not a truck.

As close as I get is a 4Runner, but I don't want to give money to Toyota, and the front seats don't work with my spine, and the back seat legroom in that is terrible, far worse than an Escape. I am VERY comfortable in an Expedition and considered one but they are huge and pricey. (Interestingly, I have had sciatica and have 8 screws and 3 rods in my spine, but can still go ride 40 miles on my bike without a problem...and if I was better in training would be doing 100 milers...)

The Everest is awful close to what I want and I would buy one tomorrow if it was here and was comfortable for me and priced decently. I might even consider one if it was 2-door only and put my wife into a larger daily driver. Being a lifelong Detroiter and UAW family member, I would like the Wayne plant to survive and succeed building Rangers and Broncos. I *almost* would like a Grand Cherokee, built 5 miles from my house, but don't want 2 eggs in the Mopar basket.

Have a good one! I see your viewpoint and understand your grasp of Bronco history, but any car/truck with a useable back seat is expected to have 4 doors these days. And then there's the airbag and kid seat safety thing...

By the way, have you noticed the differences between the old FJ40 and its current Land Cruiser namesake?
George
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
New User

2 or maybe faux, doors...

So George, I appreciate your goodnatured spirit, obvious knowledge and experience with the vast cornucopia of all things wheeled and Detroit, need for a 4 door vehicle of some kind, and, of course, your ability to compliment quality prose despite its contrary content. My apologies for sciatica comment--I certainly had no idea, but glad to hear you can...ride through it.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, so im just going to point to the myriad posts and reasons contained therein that the Bronco should remain a 2 door vehicle. While I understand George's needs and argument for a second set of doors, I point to the glut of offerings--including the one by Fiat--and say take your pick. If our Italian friends want to dilute an iconic design with 2 more doors and Jelly Belly hues to keep them in fettuccini and Fendi, than so be it. But Ford shouldn't kowtow to market pandering and girlfriends whose sole off road shenanigans consist of hitting the curb outside the Pottery Barn will sending a Snapchat selfie--'look, my manny and pedi match the snot green of my (4 door) Wrangler LOL--oops!)

No, Ford should maintain the Bronco's unique brand identity, albeit with technological and other updates to make it more liveable on a daily basis. That doesn't mean engineer all its quirks out, but add everything from a quality corrosion prevention program, standard power brakes, steering, windows, AC, and a lighter version of Sync with navi, make the roof a one-person off deal (and/or offer a ceiling mounted winch for hard tops), simple lock outs or basic shift on the fly 4wd, and maybe even a manny tranny--all at a price point starting in the low 20s, and it'll have another winner with a potential 30 year run.

With that equipment and at those prices, even George will forget about a 4 door, or, at least, just stick those that can't get in to his new Bronco in the old minivan.

Finally, to the FJ/Cruiser comment, I'll say that the new blob certainly pays homage to the original, if only in a Dairy Queen-soft serve-in-July sort of way, and that works for the very same sheeple who'd buy a 4 door J@@p, but either don't care about American jobs or simply have a yen for a 'Yoda. What is semi-neat about it is the fact that it is a 4 door without looking like one, thus keeping with the theme of the original, if only in spirit. That may be something I could live with in the new Bronco, but I'd still prefer it as a tried and true 2.

That said, an Everest will always be just that--until they rebadge it into a Ranger crew cab, which will never be a Bronco. But at least George can get his Tour de Michigan support team in it, along with his assembled bike in the bed.

Last edited by Heltoupe; 08-01-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Mis-submitted
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Postmaster

It's all good...my 2011 surgery and screws and rods addressed my problem quite well.

I am the prez of one of the largest bicycling clubs in Michigan, which dates back to 1888 and has brought us numerous national, world, and Olympic champions in both cycling and speedskating....so the Tour de Michigan comment is not far off although I am the support crew.

Some of the kids who raced with my son in our club and at the Univ of Mich have progressed to pro status and are racing the Vuelta de Espana, Dauphine, etc. In fact, 2 of our homies just won became the national Road Race and Criterium champions in the US Pro races. I have chased pelotons of racers around Michigan in our big vans and passed out musettes at feed zones. And one of my rock and roll gigs is playing at our local Velodrome's Friday night races...

You did miss something. I was not talking about the FJ Cruiser but rather the *Land Cruiser* that Toyota continues to make as a high dollar luxury sport ute. They have gone upmarket with it big time.... This does date back to the FJ55 and FJ60's which were phased in during the lifetime of the FJ40, but note the absence of any brutal FJ40 type vehicle these days. So if you had been waxing poetic about the Land Cruiser name and recalling its history as a 2 door, you'd be SOL as I'm guessing you will be with the Bronco. Remember that the military ditched the Jeep in favor of the Hummer also.

Here's the new $85k Land Cruiser, and note the links with earlier years showing earlier versions, including the 1970 FJ40 which resembles my oldie. Toyota didn't seem to have a problem moving the name from their legendary crude and bulletproof 2 door to a luxo 4 door SUV, following market trends and profits.

https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/

Take care, and we'll be in touch as the Bronco approaches and arrives to market.
George
Old 08-01-2017, 05:28 PM
New User

Toyota simply made a mistake. Ford shouldn't follow suit...

...and won't, because not only do they stay true to their heritage, but they already have 2 50-85K cushy 4 door SUVs in the Expedition and Navigator that they'd hardly consider hanging the Bronco name on.

Toyota is perpetually beige and their cars are similarly boring belly buttons--everyone has one. The FJ--BJ, really, if you want to be accurate, may have grown into the Luxo-barge Land Cruiser, but they still have the FJ Cruiser, which is far closer to the original, and more in line with what Ford should do with the Bronco.

This isn't about Toyota, though, or any other brand. This is about the Ford Bronco--what it was, is, and will be. If other car makers want to sully the name and sap the intentions of their original cult vehicles, then so be it.

I urge Ford to stay true to its roots and bring back a modernized version of the traditional 2 door, straight axle, removable roof Bronco.

You should, too.

PS cool bike stuff, George!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Senior User

5851a is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would not ever consider a 4 door Bronco. How many times do you actually see anyone more than the driver in the monster 4 door trucks everyone seems to crave. FiFi hanging out the side window does not count.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM
New User

gwp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bronco has always been only 2 doors even though its size did grow over generations... as unfortunately do most Ford vehicles. Introduce it near its '66 size, nimble for off road and keep it that size. If people want larger, they can go Raptor. Solid front axle with either air or e-lockers at both ends.
Personally I'd want manual hubs - I've had the auto lockers fail to engage when I needed them most. I want to know when they're ready instead of relying on a dash LED.
If the new vehicle will only come in 4 door, I would have no interest and Ford may as well just badge it a version of the Explorer and include all the video game-like entertainment systems and power everything that most of these utes come with these days.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 AM
New User

sykanr0ng is starting off with a positive reputation.
The original idea of the Bronco was a 4x4 counterpart to the Mustang (though later years seemed more T-bird like).

If you would buy a Mustang and complain that people have a hard time getting in and out of the back seat or that it is not comfortable in the back seat for three adults it could be argued that there is something wrong with you not the car.

Maybe the term SUV needs to become just UV unless the current definition of Sport is hauling a soccer team around instead of going into the back country fishing or hunting.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 AM
New User

Ricky Rhodes is starting off with a positive reputation.
No Rebadged Troller

Ford, do not give us a rebadged Troller! Give us what we want. Not some super expensive soccer mom crap that isn't off-road capable. If you are truly building the Bronco to compete with Jeep you will have to give us the same options as Jeep gives us. Body on frame, solid front axle, capability of 35" tires with few to no mods, removable hard top, standard transmission. If you don't you have failed.

I am waiting on the release of the Bronco to make my next vehicle purchase. The masses are watching and listening and we hope you are as well.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM
New User

sykanr0ng is starting off with a positive reputation.
Raptor sales numbers are about the same as early Bronco sales numbers were ~13,000 a year.
If those numbers are good enough for Ford why does the new Bronco need to be a mass market oriented Bronco in name only?

If they want a mass market (S)UV why don't they just build the Everest and call it the Everest?
Then they could build an enthusiast SVT Bronco that could dethrone the Wrangler.