2016 F150 factory trailer hitch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Presented by the all-new Yokohama
Presented by the all-new Yokohama

2016 F150 factory trailer hitch

Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Senior User

jjlrrw is starting off with a positive reputation.
2016 F150 factory trailer hitch

I have noticed many of the factory and aftermarket hitches start to show surface rust from inferior paint, not just Ford most all makes. I was looking at the hitch and it looks like it is held on with 2 large bolts and three smaller ones on each side, the housing that holds the wiring connectors look to be different piece.

I was thinking of removing the hitch and sanding it then painting with duplicolor truck bed liner paint, I did this with a Curt hitch prior to installing on our Subaru and so far it still looks great compared to other vehicles where this hitch was installed about the same time.

Is removing and reinstalling the hitch straight forward or is there some gotcha's I need to be concerned with?

FYI I do live in the southern lower 1/2 of Michigan where they spread a grain or two of salt for every snow flake that falls.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
I think this would be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't have the shop manual for the '15+ trucks, but they've always required the replacement of the nuts and bolts if the hitch is removed. Some models even had a bolt that had to be cut off with an air chisel to discourage people from removing the hitch.

Every winter I spray the underside of my truck with Fluid Film. I'm midway through my second winter with this truck and the hitch looks flawless. Takes about 30 seconds to spray the hitch in the fall and you're avoiding the hassle and potential liability of a hitch separation if the hitch isn't reinstalled properly.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When you say hitch you mean the large part that the ball/shaft go in?
To remove it there are about 8 bolts to take the bumper off, plus unplugging the wiring. Then I think 8 more to remove the hitch. Not terribly difficult but having a second set of hands is helpful.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Senior User

ExcursionPSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott91370 View Post
When you say hitch you mean the large part that the ball/shaft go in?
To remove it there are about 8 bolts to take the bumper off, plus unplugging the wiring. Then I think 8 more to remove the hitch. Not terribly difficult but having a second set of hands is helpful.
This welded assembly is called the RECEIVER. It includes the 2" square socket for the ball mount or equalizing hitch head.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD View Post
This welded assembly is called the RECEIVER. It includes the 2" square socket for the ball mount or equalizing hitch head.
I know the difference but I wanted to make sure which part was being asked about since the title and description sounded like different parts.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Senior User

jjlrrw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe terminology got the best of me, the part I am talking about is the part that come already bolted to the truck from the factory.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Elder User

That's the receiver. That is the part I posted about removing above.
It's not terribly difficult but having someone to help remove and reposition it makes it much easier.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Posting Guru

T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.