Sponsored by: Moser

Steering Gearbox Mount - 75 F100 4x4 - Need Feedback

Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Nick Muhleman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Hey Nick. Welcome!
I haven't done it myself, but seems like it's pretty well laid out in the previous discussion here. Well, laid out other than it sounds like the three different trucks got three slightly different mounting schemes!
But that makes it sound like you're not locked into just one way of doing it "right" and nothing else will do. Seems there is some leeway.

The others said they did not use any additional plating, but did not say (I don't think) that they used anything behind the box to keep the mounting point on a flat plane. you don't want the gear box being held off under some parts of the box. Sitting flush against the frame would be desirable I do believe.
But in lieu of a full welded on plate, some solid spacers to fill any gaps would probably be acceptable. The plate was a good idea though. If you're going to be running your truck hard, reinforcing the frame in the area around a very powerful hydraulic system seems prudent.

Good luck. Hopefully the guys that did it already will chime in with their experiences. Especially those that did them awhile back and have had the chance to spend some time with it.

Paul
I read the others and it was pretty detailed. Just before I rip into both trucks I wanna know exaclty what I'm getting into before I rush into anything. Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping those guys who have done it and have seen it will be able to help me out

Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
I took my gear back off fairly recently to repair a leak on the input seal. In retrospect, it would be more work, but I would box the frame or install crush sleeves so that the bolts go all the way through the frame. The hole I cut on the back side is not big enough to fit my hand through to reinstall the nuts and I ended up dropping them about 100 times (or more). The only way to retrieve them was either magnet fishing or go bug the Mrs. who has smaller hands.

I also did the disc brake upgrade at the same time as the steering, but did not swap the whole axle. I think your axle swap plan is the best route as it will make your brake lines easier. I managed to massage the 75 brake line mounting brackets and tweak the stock lines to make it all work, but bolt on would be much cleaner. I might be able to just swap the brackets from a 78-79, but finding them in my area is pretty tough. They are all still on the road!

The other lesson I learned was definitely drill smaller pilot holes and work your way up on the size. I only had to drill two holes, so I just figured grab the 1/2 inch bit and go slow. Man was it a workout. I'm not entirely sure that my pitman arm didn't end up slightly downhill towards the front of the truck. While the drag link bolted up fine this time, my truck is still stock height. I worry if it will be an issue when I do the 4" lift eventually. I think it was a byproduct of not drilling pilot holes and the holes ended up slightly off while trying to muscle the big bit through.