2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Poll: Suspension Upgrade for F250 (air / springs / stableloads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poll: Suspension Upgrade for F250 (air / springs / stableloads)

Ok, so, I knew I was going to have to upgrade my F250's rear suspension and today I found out to what extent.

The way I see it, I have three options, and I'd like to poll the forum for ideas, suggestions, opinions, and experiences.

1. Air. I'm looking at this part: https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehic...wheel-drive/#l

- Pro's: adjustable, can partially deflate for mostly normal ride when not towing, not very expensive -- especially if I do manual inflation. Will level truck for sure.

- Con's: can leak / deflate and I'm left with no help, some people don't like the ride and warn to avoid the ultimate/jounce bumpers for that reason, some say they don't help the truck avoid rolling during wind/turns.

2. Springs: I'm looking at this part (and it's 3,500# brother): 2011-2017 Ford F250, F350 2wd 4wd - 2500 lbs Helper Springs - LP-25 [Progressive] (pair) [2511] | $325.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

- Pro's: should not fail like airbags might, should level the truck

- Con's: will change ride all the time, with no way to reduce stiff ride, forced to choose between 2,500# or 3,500# at purchase time with associated better support/worse ride...or worse support/better ride

3. Stableloads: (I can't find a part for the 2017... does anybody know if there is one?)

- Pro's: sounds too good to be true, but should be the best of both above...shouldn't deflate, should level truck, shouldn't change unloaded ride

- Con's: can't find a part for 2017, I've read some people saying they think the stableloads will prematurely weaken the OEM leaf springs...and if that is true it could be a deal-killer...I mean...who want's to be towing and break their leaf springs?

Not saying anyone but me would do this, but if somebody challenged you to put 3,000# in the bed of a 2017 F250... which of the above would you do, and why?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the hellwig progressive Springs only came into play when you had a load on the truck, otherwise they are supposed to be fairly non existent. I've thought about those as a start and see how they handle. Kind of like the factory overload spring design.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have experience with the airbags option. The bags themselves don't leak, it's the connections to the airbags and that can be all but eliminated if installed properly. In an on-board compressor type system there are more hoses and connections to leak and that is usually the cause. When deflated to the 5 psi minimum, that has almost no effect on the ride. They are absolutely awesome when you have a heavy trailer and the leveling option is great too.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Mgjfam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of Timbren Springs. They make them for the 2017 Super Duty for both front and rear axle.

I just put a set on my front axle---even though I have the "snow plow prep package" (i.e. heavier front springs), I want the Timbren springs up there to help support my 1,000+ pound Boss V Plow.

Timbren Springs are "progressive"---meaning the more weight you put on them, the stiffer they get. There's no airbags or hoses....and it won't change you ride quality. Very easy to install (took me less than an hour). They just do their thing and you forget about them until you put a heavy load on.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:16 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mgjfam
I'm a big fan of Timbren Springs. They make them for the 2017 Super Duty for both front and rear axle.

I just put a set on my front axle---even though I have the "snow plow prep package" (i.e. heavier front springs), I want the Timbren springs up there to help support my 1,000+ pound Boss V Plow.

Timbren Springs are "progressive"---meaning the more weight you put on them, the stiffer they get. There's no airbags or hoses....and it won't change you ride quality. Very easy to install (took me less than an hour). They just do their thing and you forget about them until you put a heavy load on.
Wow! These things really look too good to be true! Easiest install, zero ride change potential when not loaded.

Has anybody installed these (or seen a youtube video) similar to the AirLift videos that show bed height before-and-after?

FRTT350J ? Rear Axle SES Suspension Upgrade ? Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products

Old 01-17-2017, 07:18 AM
grampscamper
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I have experience with the airbags option. The bags themselves don't leak, it's the connections to the airbags and that can be all but eliminated if installed properly. In an on-board compressor type system there are more hoses and connections to leak and that is usually the cause. When deflated to the 5 psi minimum, that has almost no effect on the ride. They are absolutely awesome when you have a heavy trailer and the leveling option is great too.
X2

I agree.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:33 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had Airlift bags with an on board air compressor on my current truck for 15 yrs now with no service issues with the bags.

I like the adjustability of air bags as I can go from no load-no ride impact to full load and still maintain ride stability and level. They are fully adjustable between the extremes. In addition to using them for adjusting the ride and level while my 5th wheel is on I also use them to mount the 5th wheel.

I have control of the bag inflation in the cab so I deflate, pull up under the fifth wheel, inflate to pick up the 5th wheel, and there is usually very little waiting for the stands to retract and to get underway.

The installation for the bags and the on board air was not complicated. I purchased all heavy duty air fittings and tubes from a place where the 18-wheelers get their air brake parts. The tubes are plastic, simply cut and push into the fittings, very simple.

I have had 2 minor air leaks in those years and both took simply pushing a tube back into a fitting to reset it. I would advise stabilizing all mount points and keeping all junction points accessible should service be needed.

In addition to using on board air for the air bag suspension I also have an air access point mounted on my bumper which we use to service our motorcycle tires when in the back country.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Gentlemen, thank you for all of your input here. While the timbrens are tempting, I crawled under and found out I currently have 9+" to cover. That and the lack of control with Timbren (with me being a control freak) -- and I started leaning towards AirLift.

All the positive comments about AirLift here led me to call etrailer.com and have a convo with their techs who also highly recommended AirLift for this application.

So I ordered the AirLift airbags today.

This is what they recommended (and specifically said not to buy the 'ultimate' version):

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...t/AL57399.html

Here's my before pic: