Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 PM
buckleyv
New User
buckleyv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aux tank with gravity feed... leaks?

Originally Posted by whooboy View Post
I have the RDS 45 gallon tank. It only takes up nine inches of bed space. I went with the manual valve for a while, then went with option A. I turn it on after about 10 gallons used and have never had a problem with it. I experimented with turning it on and leaving it on when both tanks were full (I only put 40 gallons in the aux tank--supposed to only fill it 90% full). The indicator was pegged at F until I had used 40 gallons and then it started to decrease.

When you had both tanks full, with the valve open, were there any leaks from the tank itself... almost as if the OEM tank was over flowing from somewhere other than up the filler neck?

I have a 60 gallon RDS installed, but every time I leave the valve open, and let the truck sit, somewhere on top of the tank leaks... and it is not from any of the connection points I had to mess with.

Has as anyone else had this happen?

Can you tell me where it is leaking from?

Cheers!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM
whooboy
Senior User
whooboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It happened to me one time. I don't know where the fuel was dripping from, but it was definitely on top of the tank--probably a vent. Since then, I don't leave the aux tank on. In fact, the solenoid controlled valve, switched by one of the upfitter switches, automatically closes when the ignition is turned off. It has never happened again.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I have an RDS 60 gal tank, and use a solenoid valve, on one of the up fitter switches. I turn it on when I start traveling. Just got back from 7200 mile trip, never turned it off.

This is the second solenoid. I looked up the duty cycle after the first failed. 100% but not continuous!
​​​

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Geno C
Senior User
Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine has been left on more than once with both tanks full and. I didn't have any fuel leaking. I use a manual valve also as that's that the truck had when I bought it. I have a little fuel filter on mine and it keeps up fine while pulling a 5th wheel trailer and the gauge slowly goes up if I'm not pulling anything.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 PM
David_ski
Senior User
David_ski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gwg42 View Post
Attachment 209012

This is how mine ended up. Several people have done different things. I just had fun making it this way.
were you able to find brass 3/8 union to attach the solenoid.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 PM
David_ski
Senior User
David_ski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
were you able to find brass 3/8 union to attach the solenoid.
I went to a local pluming shop and picked up all of my needed brass fittings in 3/8". Now waiting for the tank and the solenoid valve to be delivered to begin assembly.