Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 PM
buckleyv
New User
buckleyv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aux tank with gravity feed... leaks?

Originally Posted by whooboy View Post
I have the RDS 45 gallon tank. It only takes up nine inches of bed space. I went with the manual valve for a while, then went with option A. I turn it on after about 10 gallons used and have never had a problem with it. I experimented with turning it on and leaving it on when both tanks were full (I only put 40 gallons in the aux tank--supposed to only fill it 90% full). The indicator was pegged at F until I had used 40 gallons and then it started to decrease.

When you had both tanks full, with the valve open, were there any leaks from the tank itself... almost as if the OEM tank was over flowing from somewhere other than up the filler neck?

I have a 60 gallon RDS installed, but every time I leave the valve open, and let the truck sit, somewhere on top of the tank leaks... and it is not from any of the connection points I had to mess with.

Has as anyone else had this happen?

Can you tell me where it is leaking from?

Cheers!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM
whooboy
Senior User
whooboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It happened to me one time. I don't know where the fuel was dripping from, but it was definitely on top of the tank--probably a vent. Since then, I don't leave the aux tank on. In fact, the solenoid controlled valve, switched by one of the upfitter switches, automatically closes when the ignition is turned off. It has never happened again.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I have an RDS 60 gal tank, and use a solenoid valve, on one of the up fitter switches. I turn it on when I start traveling. Just got back from 7200 mile trip, never turned it off.

This is the second solenoid. I looked up the duty cycle after the first failed. 100% but not continuous!
​​​

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Geno C
Senior User
Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine has been left on more than once with both tanks full and. I didn't have any fuel leaking. I use a manual valve also as that's that the truck had when I bought it. I have a little fuel filter on mine and it keeps up fine while pulling a 5th wheel trailer and the gauge slowly goes up if I'm not pulling anything.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 PM
David_ski
Senior User
David_ski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gwg42 View Post
Attachment 209012

This is how mine ended up. Several people have done different things. I just had fun making it this way.
were you able to find brass 3/8 union to attach the solenoid.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 PM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
were you able to find brass 3/8 union to attach the solenoid.
I went to a local pluming shop and picked up all of my needed brass fittings in 3/8". Now waiting for the tank and the solenoid valve to be delivered to begin assembly.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 AM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by gwg42 View Post
Attachment 209012

This is how mine ended up. Several people have done different things. I just had fun making it this way.
With the unions, I find that the increased height of the fuel drain pipe is about 2 above the bottom of the tank. Therefore I will have about 5 gallons that will never be emptied from the tank. I liked the solenoid in the bed, but I am thinking it will need to be located underneath the bed.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:28 PM
David_ski
Senior User

My 46 Gallon ATI tank finally arrived. It fits perfectly under the tonneau cover. I cut my truck bed mat at the tank line so the tank rests on the mat, and I can still remove the rest of the bed mat to clean the bed. For now, I ended up going with the gravity feed and a manual valve. I purchased a solenoid valve, and I wanted to mount it in the truck bed. However with the limited amount of space on the side of the tank and with the added pipe unions on the valve assembly I would of left about 10 gallons stranded in the tank with the added height of the solenoid assembly. I will think about how to add the solenoid valve under the bed at a later time. I already have an up fitter switch wired into the bed for the solenoid.

Last edited by David_ski; 06-30-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: photo update
Old 07-01-2018, 10:12 PM
David_ski
Senior User

My 46 Gallon ATI tank finally arrived. It fits perfectly under the tonneau cover. I cut my truck bed mat at the tank line so the tank rests on the mat, and I can still remove the rest of the bed mat to clean the bed. For now, I ended up going with the gravity feed and a manual valve. I purchased a solenoid valve, and I wanted to mount it in the truck bed. However with the limited amount of space on the side of the tank and with the added pipe unions on the valve assembly I would of left about 10 gallons stranded in the tank with the added height of the solenoid assembly. I will think about how to add the solenoid valve under the bed at a later time. I already have an up fitter switch wired into the bed for the solenoid.
After a nights sleep to think about mounting the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve had two threaded mounting holes. I took aluminum plate and made a bracket that I pop rivited to a bed stiffener to mount the solenoid valve. I spliced the hose from the gate valve at the tank to the fuel inlet hose coupling.

It is is powered by my upfitter switch #4. I can now control the fuel transfer from inside the cab. It will not continue to fill when the truck is off.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 AM
WK15
Elder User
WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.

I use the ATTA 110 freedom fill tank system. I hooked it up to the number 3 upper lifter switch. It fits under the bed rails, so,I can use a soft bed cover. I plummed in my old diesel site fuel filters to filter the fuel in the tank

Old 07-04-2018, 05:25 PM
David_ski
Senior User

After a nights sleep to think about mounting the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve had two threaded mounting holes. I took aluminum plate and made a bracket that I pop rivited to a bed stiffener to mount the solenoid valve. I spliced the hose from the gate valve at the tank to the fuel inlet hose coupling.

It is is powered by my upfitter switch #4. I can now control the fuel transfer from inside the cab. It will not continue to fill when the truck is off.
I decided to add a simple inline fuel filter before the solenoid. Any foreign material could cause the solenoid to not close fully. I regularly check the main truck fuel filter for water, and no water has ever been found

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3270

Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM
David_ski
Senior User
I decided to add a simple inline fuel filter before the solenoid. Any foreign material could cause the solenoid to not close fully. I regularly check the main truck fuel filter for water, and no water has ever been found

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3270

I have come to the conclusion that the solenoid valve that I purchased does not allow enough fuel flow for a gravity feed configuration. Without the solenoid valve the fuel flows freely into the main tank. With the solenoid valve it is a very slow stream that does not keep up with fuel usage non-towing. I also did not like that amount of heat that the solenoid valve operates at when it is engaged for long periods. The heat is normal behavior, but i prefer a solution that does not create heat when energized.

I am going to switch the solenoid valve to a motorized ball valve. This replacement only consumes minimal current after the valve opens.

Original Valve
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITON-3-8-i...53.m2749.l2649

Replacement Ball Valve.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Motoriz...53.m2749.l2649

Old 07-10-2018, 02:27 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru
bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Transfer flow makes a great auto transfer system, I have had the 98 gal. transfer tank on my last three trucks and it works great. It keeps the transfer tank and the main tank on the truck at the same level and I never have to worry about it. I have also had the electric solenoid system on one of my trucks with a pump, but forgot to turn it off and over filled the tank once or twice. The transfer flow system is pricy, but worth it to me.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 PM
David_ski
Senior User
I have come to the conclusion that the solenoid valve that I purchased does not allow enough fuel flow for a gravity feed configuration. Without the solenoid valve the fuel flows freely into the main tank. With the solenoid valve it is a very slow stream that does not keep up with fuel usage non-towing. I also did not like that amount of heat that the solenoid valve operates at when it is engaged for long periods. The heat is normal behavior, but i prefer a solution that does not create heat when energized.

I am going to switch the solenoid valve to a motorized ball valve. This replacement only consumes minimal current after the valve opens.

Original Valve
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITON-3-8-i...53.m2749.l2649

Replacement Ball Valve.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Motoriz...53.m2749.l2649
The Ball Valve arrived this week, and I was able to swap out the solenoid valve yesterday. The ball valve lets fuel flow freely from aux tank to the main tank. My upfitter switch #4 from the cab controls the ball valve. This ball valve has a visual indicator on it to verify the open/closed position of the valve. Pictures included a scope down the fill tube to verify the flow from the aux tank to main tank (open and closed).

Old 07-16-2018, 09:32 PM
dieselfueladdict
New User
dieselfueladdict is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did a pump setup on my transfer tank. However, I had to do this since my tank did not have a plug in the bottom. I ran a holley blue pump that I had left over from a previous project, and a racor filter for water seperation. I put an electric valve on it as well after testing it and finding out it would siphon when off.
I did put a backup ball valve on just in case, and ran a return line to keep pressure off if it filled up before shutting off. It'll fill about 5 gallons in 3 minutes give or take.
By the way, the fuel gauge does not change nearly as fast as it fills when driving.
If I was starting from scratch, I would of went with a gravity setup. But I had most of the components to do a pump setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxiliary tank. Pump or gravity?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: