2001 Excursion V10 Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasMomOf11
e

Yes it was completely dropped and drained and cleaned. Completely new assembly installed not just one of those junky POS things. What do you mean by pre-interview? Is that the sock filter that you put on the pump or the fuel filter it's self?
Just trying to get an idea of what exactly has been done to it.
The pre-filter is the sock at the bottom of the pick up tube. If you replaced the whole assembly it should have been included. And any time you buy a pump they should tell you that the pump warranty is void if the sock isn't changed with a new pump. It seems like common sense, but you know what they say about that...
I see a lot of people cutting corners and doing anything they can to NOT drop the tank. But I think it is really the best way to go so the tank can be cleaned out and inspected.
But here again, a new part isn't always a perfectly functioning part.

I would also like to know for sure what the fuel pressure is doing when it won't start. It sounds like the HF fuel pressure tester would be a good investment for anyone observing these symptoms.
I would also recommend the Torque Pro app for Android for another cheap diagnostic tool. A Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and a $5 app can show you a whole lot of data to help tell you what the engine is doing or not doing.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I 2nd a fuel pressure test.

Not just for the sake of testing fuel pump but to see what is happening.

If inital test showed 10 psi at idle, and you suspected the fuel pump.....changed that and it still exhibits the same symptoms I would be taking a look at the fuel pressure regulator.

If you pull the vacuum hose off it and there is some fuel or strong gas smell than the fuel pressure regulator could be faulty.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
.... It sounds like the HF fuel pressure tester would be a good investment for anyone observing these symptoms. ..
This tester works best when there is a test port on the fuel rail.
Both of my cars still have the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail.
I think the 3v engines and newer years do not have the test port.
Not sure when the changeover started.
I think the test ports were deleted when a fuel pressure sensor was added so the pressure is available in the OBDII port data.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM
LilMonster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry i didn't repost ....But yes I did figure it out,after replacing the sensors,fuel pump and filter. it was a fuse under the dash believe it was the one for the pats system. Again I apologize for not reposting anything sooner.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasMomOf11
The crank no start issue was happening before we changed the fuel pump. We originally thought that the pump was the problem so thus the reason to replace. We haven't hooked it up to fuel gages since. We don't own them ( fuel pressure gages) so have to borrow them from a friend. We had a previous reading that started at 30psi but dropped to 10psi once the truck was running. That made us feel the pump was faulty. I'm really not wanting to give up on our "skirt" but I'm feeling like this is a never ending issue
I'm suspecting that the original issue was indeed a weak/failing fuel pump. The follow-on issue was probably air in the lines, which has now worked it's way out of the fuel system, and that was the reason it wouldn't start/run properly after the repairs were made. I've had similar instances with other Fords that have done the same thing.

If it's starting and running normally now, I'd recommend keeping an eye on things and seeing if the previous issues have been resolved and everything is working now.