2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F450 TPMS experiment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
The 450 club is going to revoke your membership!
We're all part of the same family. We can yell at each other now and then but we all drive blue ovals. No feuds here.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
We're all part of the same family. We can yell at each other now and then but we all drive blue ovals. No feuds here.

Of course not brother. But I do feel we need to make fun of ourselves from time to time...

Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If no one else does it I will try tomorrow afternoon

Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 PM
17450KR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one more of the 450 Club that appreciates everyone's valuable insight regarding these vehicles. This forum has been a wealth of information. I hope to be able to provide some first-hand contributions once my truck arrives.

Rodney -- you'll always be welcome in my F450!

Virgil

Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 17450KR
I'm one more of the 450 Club that appreciates everyone's valuable insight regarding these vehicles. This forum has been a wealth of information. I hope to be able to provide some first-hand contributions once my truck arrives.

Virgil

Thanks Virgil! I honestly appreciate it. You're welcome to ride along in my sample size truck as well...

Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel a "kum ba yah" moment coming on!

Now that we're all good, going back to my earlier question for a moment, does soeone out there have a DRW '17 350? If so, when you set up TPMS, did the system already know you had six wheels, or did you need to tell it? If so, how did you tell it?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:31 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
If no one else does it I will try tomorrow afternoon
Did you get a chance to try this? If it works, the next step is for someone to try getting sensors for the Alcoa wheels or seeing if the system will connect to a sensor in a neighboring vehicle.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
Now that we're all good, going back to my earlier question for a moment, does soeone out there have a DRW '17 350? If so, when you set up TPMS, did the system already know you had six wheels, or did you need to tell it? If so, how did you tell it?
I have a DRW 350. What are you asking? There is nothing to set up or change through the instrument cluster; it just shows the 6 wheels and their pressures.

I also had a non-Ford tire shop install 6 new Nokian snow tires for winter. There was no issue setting the TPMS back to the new tires, everything still works fine.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:56 PM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 17450KR

Virgil
Dittos here also...
Thanks,
Skip

Old 01-17-2017, 04:02 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I have a DRW 350. What are you asking? There is nothing to set up or change through the instrument cluster; it just shows the 6 wheels and their pressures.

I also had a non-Ford tire shop install 6 new Nokian snow tires for winter. There was no issue setting the TPMS back to the new tires, everything still works fine.
The F450 doesn't have TPMS. I want to see if FORScan can enable it on the F450, then is someone can try connecting a sensor. I'd sure like to add TPMS to my F450 after it comes in.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by troverman

Troverman,

What we are trying to understand is whether or not the F450 has the basic functionality included in its systems (software at least) in order to support TPMS. Ford is not including truck TPMS on the 450 at this time. We are told this is because of an incompatibility with the 19.5" wheels. Many of us are hopeful that, if the truck shares the basic core functionality that the DRW F350 ships with, that we may be able to enable it at some point, once sensor issues can be overcome.

My question to F350 DRW owners was aimed at determining if the DRW version automatically "knows" it has six wheels, or if there is some setup function that must be turned on. From your response, it appears to be the first case, is that correct?

I think most of us are assuming that the SD operating software is common across the product family and that it is a matter of configuring this software in order to enable the appropriate features and options. If that is true, we should be able to turn on truck TPMS with FOREScan. I am also guessing that the actual module that receives signals from truck TPMS sensors will be missing on the F450 and would need to be added back in.

All of this is conjecture at this point. We're just trying to figure out what the future may hold for those of us who may want to make it work in the future, when and if Ford enables it on the 450.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 PM
jpoynor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello guys, I have a '17 450 platinum that I bought just before Christmas. If someone can fill me in a little bit on the FORScan I'd love to try and help solve this issue. Love the truck, expect for the stupid horn honk when you get out with the key in your pocket with it running. That's flipping annoying!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jpoynor
Hello guys, I have a '17 450 platinum that I bought just before Christmas. If someone can fill me in a little bit on the FORScan I'd love to try and help solve this issue. Love the truck, expect for the stupid horn honk when you get out with the key in your pocket with it running. That's flipping annoying!
Seems almost everyone wants the horn honk turned off. From the threads related to FOREScan, it seems that one can be solved pretty easily. I'd suggest you take a look at the threads regarding FOREScan and how to use it, as well as what success others have had with it so far.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to try the TPMS change this evening finally and my stupid OBDlink MX is acting up. Wont maintain a connection for more than a minute at a time. I have another one on its way courtesy of amazon. Should arrive on the 19th.

I may have killed this think leaving it plugged into the truck full time (i did the same thing with my wifi one and it is still alive after 3 years). No idea, maybe just a bad egg.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
Troverman,

What we are trying to understand is whether or not the F450 has the basic functionality included in its systems (software at least) in order to support TPMS. Ford is not including truck TPMS on the 450 at this time. We are told this is because of an incompatibility with the 19.5" wheels. Many of us are hopeful that, if the truck shares the basic core functionality that the DRW F350 ships with, that we may be able to enable it at some point, once sensor issues can be overcome.

My question to F350 DRW owners was aimed at determining if the DRW version automatically "knows" it has six wheels, or if there is some setup function that must be turned on. From your response, it appears to be the first case, is that correct?

I think most of us are assuming that the SD operating software is common across the product family and that it is a matter of configuring this software in order to enable the appropriate features and options. If that is true, we should be able to turn on truck TPMS with FOREScan. I am also guessing that the actual module that receives signals from truck TPMS sensors will be missing on the F450 and would need to be added back in.

All of this is conjecture at this point. We're just trying to figure out what the future may hold for those of us who may want to make it work in the future, when and if Ford enables it on the 450.

Thanks
Gotcha. What you say makes sense. My truck does seem to recognize all six...but body computers are programmed by VIN. So perhaps the VIN tells the ECU to look for 6 instead of 4.

I once added Sync with steering wheel controls to my 2012 XLT which did not come with Sync or steering wheel volume controls. Dealer had to reprogram my ECU to the VIN of a truck with the controls.

Hope it works out for you 450 folks.

Quick Reply: F450 TPMS experiment?