6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Gas in Tank :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I am also surprised that the truck ran as much as it did. You could TRY to flush the system and change the filters, but I would doubt your high pressure pump and injectors would survive for much longer - if they are even still intact. It is unfortunate that we read about events like this from time to time, and it seems more times than not, it is from filling at BP and grabbing the green handle.

As far as gas floating on Diesel, when added to a stationary container, yes, gas will float on Diesel, and will stratify in the container. In this case though, two very important factors keep them well mixed. For one, he was driving the truck, which sloshes the fuel inside the tank and mixes the gasoline and Diesel together. The second part of this is that the fuel system on these trucks recirculate fuel by design. Whatever fuel is not put though the injectors off of the high pressure pump, is put back to the tank through the fuel rail pressure control valve and fuel cooler, and then back through the low pressure pump (DFCM), and so on. When agitated, gasoline and Diesel will mix VERY well. This is similar to thinning waste oil with kerosene by mixing the two together.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
This truck was driven enough to have the fuel mixed within the tank. If one thinks that the fuel will stay separated after pumping the tank full and then driving several miles are mistaken.

I would at least try draining/flushing the system before replacing.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
why won't insurance cover this for you? You do need a total repair though.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not drain the tank, flush out the fuel put some deisel back in and see if it starts and runs , seems like there is nothing to loose at this point ?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy!! There have been a number of these threads in the past and, again, I tell myself, "Self, whenever you go to fuel up, you need to have your head screwed on right, ZERO distractions, think through the process BEFORE starting it, and double check before starting fuel flow." I have to work at this diligently, every time, since I am chronologically enhanced with normal memory challenges ..... can't remember stuff (PG) sometimes!!! Knock on wood.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well not to poke fun at the situation it seems quite impossible to be driving a diesel truck and put gas in it? Handle color or not you should see that you're buying diesel, it's as bad as the people that put the exhaust fluid in their tanks just don't understand how that happens. With that being said I have a simple solution for you in the future get yourself some diesel only stickers put them on the inside of the fuel door and if need be one right on the dash one of the company's I work for had them put on their company trucks as a matter of fact one was right in the middle of the steering wheel over the Ford emblem. A good habit to get into is to make sure you fill up at the same station at the same pump if possible especially if it's your first diesel vehicle will help with traing your mindset. also check the pump give a little whiff to make sure no gas is present will not be the first time they accidentally fill the wrong tanks. Once again nothing but sympathy for your problems and I don't understand why some think an insurance company would be responsible for this one other problem unloading the truck is not an option considering ford has already verified gas in the tank and it's now been reported on its network take care

Old 01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dakster
Personally, I wouldn't trust the fuel system and if it did start and run fine, you might want to up your trade in time table.
lol...some other poor smucks problem now

Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
I don't understand why some think an insurance company would be responsible for this
Why wouldn't an inusrance company cover it? Yes, it's kind of a dumb mistake, but insurance companies cover dumb mistakes. Picture someone driving and being distracted by fiddling with the stereo. They crash into a tree because they were distracted. Is that a stupid mistake? Absolutely. Will insurance cover that? Yes they will. How is filling the truck with gas any more of a stupid mistake?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with 06greenstroker..... yes this is a damn shame that the OP put gas in his tank but HE did it. I don't know how anyone with a conscience (and maybe the OP has one) could trade in a veh. with that kind of damage knowing some innocent new buyer is going to get stuck with a large repair bill, just ain't right.

Since I've been on this earth quite a spell I know there are some that wouldn't give it a second thought but common, you have to own up to your own mistakes. If it was mine I would call up the local diesel shops and ask their opinion, you know the Ford dealer is going to get every dime he can. Maybe one of the shops can help you out a little with the cost. Good luck anyway.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I couldn't trade it in with the damage, I'd fix it and then trade it in. And I have done that. It is one of the reasons I don't get a vehicle without a warranty. Although for the remainder of my life, I hope to only buy new vehicles or lease vehicles.

I don't understand why auto insurance isn't covering it either and it might just be that they should and they are saying no... Not they would ever do that. Not that I haven't caught them doing that before too.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:14 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First driving a car requires more attention then putting fuel in a tank accidents happen that's what insurance is for filling up with the wrong fuel in your vehicle are you kidding ??everybody's rates go up because you can't pay attention to filling your tank LOL. Next problem you can't unload the truck well I suppose you could but, personally before I would buy a used diesel truck I would do a background check on it for maintenance and issues like this perhaps which has now been reported to the network why Ford would void the warranty immediately on fuel-related issues. You know I wonder how many of the first alleged cp4 pumps that blew up we're actually victims of gasoline LOL my brother says it's why Ford made it so hard to turn the trucks in for warranty claims with such low mileage he had four of them at their dealership alone that the customers came clean accidentally put fuel in the tank just a gallon or so take care

Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM
OnSabbatical
Freshman User
Keeping my fingers crossed

After consulting many diesel folks on this, I opted merely to empty and flush the tank, change the filters, and check the injectors. It cost me about $500.

When I took it out on the road, the engine light lit up, so I took it back and they said one of the injectors triggered it but it was fine. They reset it. I took it out again, it lit up. But, after driving it about 20 miles, it went away and has not come back (been about 200 miles since).

When I got to half a tank, I refilled with diesel and half a bottle of additive as directed by my diesel mechanic. So far runs just as it did before the incident.

For now, I am very glad I didn't let Ford extort $9000 out of me. Or pay even $1,500. If something happens down the line, I'll repost so that folks in similar plights will have a better idea what to do.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job - Looks like you may have dodged a very expensive bullet!!!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Keep us posted. Apples to oranges, but my brother's company 2009 DMax was run 40 miles on an 80/20 mix of gas/diesel. Flushed lines and off it went. That was 200k miles ago!

Hopefully yours will match that!