1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Potential new member of my family

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Daniel Metcalf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im hoping to get some advice

Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but I saw that you basically are trying to find out some of the same info.

So here it is, Im looking at buying this truck, first time for truck and searched for a manual diesel and came across the one in the ad below. What I would like to know is what would experienced 7.3 owners feel this is worth? I blocked the price out, figured it would yield better answers. Thanks for taking the time to read and help!

Side note, when talking to him, he said he would not be pricing the tires into it, and he would fix the sloppy clutch cable play

Name:  1995 PowerStoke 7.3.JPG
Views: 14910
Size:  321.1 KB

Old 02-12-2017, 05:47 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel Metcalf
Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but I saw that you basically are trying to find out some of the same info.

So here it is, Im looking at buying this truck, first time for truck and searched for a manual diesel and came across the one in the ad below. What I would like to know is what would experienced 7.3 owners feel this is worth? I blocked the price out, figured it would yield better answers. Thanks for taking the time to read and help!

Attachment 174008
I will start off by saying the f250 I currently own that I bought on December 23rd recently, is the first Ford I have ever owned. So I'm sure some people can give more expert advice specific to ford and the powerstroke engine, but I will give my opinion as I see it. Also keep in mind, my opinion might be vastly different than yours.

First off, cosmetics. I am not a fan of those LED light bar things. Not because of function, but because of how they look. To me, they are quickly becoming the equivalent to hats people leave the sticker on while wearing it. This isn't necessarily a valid thing to others, but just how I feel. So if I bought that truck, id sell that. If it's not one of the cheap knock off ones, you can get a lot of money for it. Next, the Berliner all over the truck. Depending on how you feel about this, I have seen vehicles fully done with bedliner. I have yet to see one I didnt hate. I haven't seen a white one yet though. So again, for me, I wouldn't like that. For the right price, it wouldn't be a reference enough for me. The wheel size and the tire size combination would worry me. I like big trucks, but 20" wheels on tires that big, I am not a fan of cosmetically either, but they wear fast. No idea about the interior, but these trucks are easy to take a apart inside and put back together,

Mechanically, 308k doesnt worry me. My f250 I just bought had 318k on it when I got it and it has almost 321k now. Runs great. I have about $1200 into it already with the batteries, clutch/flywheel setup, brakes, cps, and some other stuff. My 01 dodge with a 24 valve had 328k on it when I sold it about 2 years ago and it ran great still.

The transmissions on these trucks are hard to come by, so I would be more worried about the transmission than the engine personally. If it has the factory dual mass flywheel setup, I would start researching about the issues with those. Mine had the dual mass and it had a lot of play in it and was about to break. I could literally spin it several inches freely with my hand. When they break, they usually crack/break the bellhousing, which is part of the transmission on these trucks, so the case is bad. I switched a single mass setup and the pedal lightened up too. Clutch hydraulics are something you will want to check too.

Do a blowby test on it. Take engine oil cap off, turn it upside down over the hole on the valve cover and see if it tries or does lift up off there (do this while the engine is running). If it stays put or just sort of vibrates off then you are probably ok. Smoke coming out isn't anything to be alarmed about unless it's massive.

With everything wrong with it (if there is nothing else and he is accurate about what the issues are, and you always have to assume they dont know what it is), if this truck was in Phoenix, I would estimate it could sell for about $5500-$8000.

My 97 f250 4x4 supercab longer 5 speed 7.3 with a 6" lift cost me $4000 from the person I bought it from, which I thought was a steal. But the price people are asking for these here right now seem to be a lot lower than they were 6 months ago. I check pretty frequently with dodges and Ford's and I haven't noticed the dodges coming down, so I'm not sure why yet it is here. But I think we are starting to get more realistic to what things are actually worth. A year ago, anything with a diesel, regardless of condition and miles, the owner would ask at least 7 grand for it. I saw a ton of powerstroke like mine for almost 10,000 less than a year ago.

Depending on the area, the value can be less or more. If you live in an area where rust is a huge factor then non rusted vehicles bring a lot more. Overall, if I was deciding to buy this truck, assuming after I saw it and drove it that I still wanted it, and the owner said throw a number out, I would say $6000 and go from there. I personally wouldn't go above $7000 but I know eventually something similar to this will come on the market for that much or less here anyways. I only bought mine when I did because they only wanted $4000 for it.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:55 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,187 Likes on 816 Posts
For SC truck around my area anywhere from $2500-$5k max and for a lower mileage truck. Even the more sought after crew cabs go for no more than 7k.
In the end It all comes down what you want to pay for it.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by z31freakify
For SC truck around my area anywhere from $2500-$5k max and for a lower mileage truck. Even the more sought after crew cabs go for no more than 7k.
In the end It all comes down what you want to pay for it.
Damn where are you located at? That's nothing compared to what people ask here in Phoenix.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
El Paso tx Las Cruces Nm area.
Here's one that might ft your attention
https://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/5964083663.html

Old 02-12-2017, 06:54 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
El Paso tx Las Cruces Nm area.
Here's one that might ft your attention
https://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/5964083663.html
Thats literally the same truck I just got 2 months ago. 97 white subercab longer 4x4 lifted but mine is a 5 speed. It has about 30k miles more but I paid $4000

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
That's some of the more $$ examples. Four years ago there was a 97 f250 CCSB 4x4 with 200k go 4k, to bad I didn't have the dough to buy it.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
That's some of the more $$ examples. Four years ago there was a 97 f250 CCSB 4x4 with 200k go 4k, to bad I didn't have the dough to buy it.
Trucks, whether gas or diesel, were going cheap I think because of fuel prices. I had an 01 dodge with a 24 valve and I sold it for $6800 but less than 6 months later diesel dropped $1 a gallon and then I started noticing truck prices skyrocket. Even the gasses. So I could have gotten about $2000 or more extra if I waited a little longer. I remember trucks always being priced well. I have a bad habit of buying cheap vehicles when they get very cheap. The truck bubba originally posted is still for sale, and I can easily afford it but the only reason I dont go buy it is I have 2 trucks already and a camaro in the garage, if I brought home another my girlfriend said my new girlfriend would be my hand.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
Trucks, whether gas or diesel, were going cheap I think because of fuel prices. I had an 01 dodge with a 24 valve and I sold it for $6800 but less than 6 months later diesel dropped $1 a gallon and then I started noticing truck prices skyrocket. Even the gasses. So I could have gotten about $2000 or more extra if I waited a little longer. I remember trucks always being priced well. I have a bad habit of buying cheap vehicles when they get very cheap. The truck bubba originally posted is still for sale, and I can easily afford it but the only reason I dont go buy it is I have 2 trucks already and a camaro in the garage, if I brought home another my girlfriend said my new girlfriend would be my hand.
Lol..... right hand girlfriend classic.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude Brad that's sweet, you'll have TWO girlfriends then!