1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

My New 1970 F-250 4x4 Fire Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Staplesatwork
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New 1970 F-250 4x4 Fire Truck

The truck is a 1970 F250 4x4 with a 360 and 4 speed manual just over 17k miles on it. It was originally used by a local fire department near my home town. My friend's father bought the truck from the fire dept in the mid '90s and used it for heavy loads and trips to the dump. Recently, my buddy and I spent few days working on the truck, getting a start on some needed maintenance. It had been parked for around two years but started right up with a battery and some new fuel line. After a quick wash with an electric power washer, we drove it inside and got to work. We had to find a couple 8-lug ford steel wheels. The truck had two newer E250 wheels on the front but the rear still had 16" split rims. A local junkyard had some rims available and I was given a reasonable set of 16 inch LT tires from some 2000's suburban rims sized 265/70/16.

A few major items were immediately apparent. The brake pedal went to the floor with absolutely no pressure, the engine had no coolant, and everything was quite oily. We bled all four drum brakes and got really strong pedal back, at least for now. It needs a major brake overall; definitely all new brake lines, wheel cylinders, and hardware. I also think the master cylinder was leaking while we were bleeding the brakes. I plan to reuse the the drums and shoes if they are in good shape - any opinions on that? Pretty sure they are original.

The thermostat housing was clearly leaking through the upper radiator hose clamp. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and installed a new hose/clamp (and thermostat). It looks like it could easily lead to another leak - should I replace an item like this? We also removed the fan/shroud/radiator with the intention of getting the radiator checked at a local shop. At the guys recommendation, we replaced the original radiator with one from O'Reilly's. While the radiator mounted up with no issue (for bolts or hoses), the fan shroud doesn't seem to fit - has anyone else experienced this issue?

As for specs, I haven't figured out all of the details but the truck seems to have a Dana 44 with closed knuckles up front and a Dana 60 in the rear. The 360 runs smoothly, although it does have a cracked exhaust header which will require replacement. I've read that the stock setup is quite restrictive and that a set of headers is a great addition to these motors, anyways. Other than that, I've already replaced most of the rubber on the engine and I'm looking to change all of the fluids. Do I need to use the ZDDP additive in my oil? Also, Is there a specific type of 50 weight oil I should be using?

Overall, I'm very excited about this truck. First thing, I want to get the truck safely running and driving before I look to do any upgrades. There is a little bit of rust under the battery box but otherwise, the truck is completely clean. The huge bumpers are extremely nice for working in the engine bay and for reaching into the bed and they will definitely be staying. While I want to add headers soon, I'm probably going to run the stock intake and carb for a little while.

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Congrats. Looks like a fun truck!

Oil... go with Shell Rotella T 15w-40 meant for diesels. No synthetics.

Gear oil? I use Lucas 75-140 although 80w-90 or 75w-90 is also acceptable.

Btw, ditch the points and get a Pertronix module. Smooths out the idl, is trouble free, and dead nuts reliable.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been using the Ford diesel oil from Mal-Wart, fairly inexpensive and is reported to have more zinc than Rotella does now.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What a great find! Congrats! I agree with Hio Silver on the gear oil choices. But I use 0w-30 in the cold months and 10w-40 in the warm months. I always use synthetics. The advantages are too much to ignore. I won't go into the "zinc" discussion here.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Check the door jamb, some of these trucks specified 50wt motor oil in the transmission. I would use HD50 manual transmission fluid, it's used in semis and is available at Napa and truck dealerships.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Staplesatwork
Junior User
I'll take a look at the diesel oils. The truck came with a case of 10w-40 Havoline and a couple of Motorcraft filters, so I wouldn't mind using that since it won't work in any of my other vehicles. It also came with a case of HD50, presumably for the trans/axles but I will probably look at using the lucas gear oil instead.

The Pertronix is high on my list. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and it looks pretty simple to install. Can I leave the stock coil or do I need to upgrade to a Pertronix (or other) unit?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Staplesatwork
I'll take a look at the diesel oils. The truck came with a case of 10w-40 Havoline and a couple of Motorcraft filters, so I wouldn't mind using that since it won't work in any of my other vehicles. It also came with a case of HD50, presumably for the trans/axles but I will probably look at using the lucas gear oil instead.

The Pertronix is high on my list. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and it looks pretty simple to install. Can I leave the stock coil or do I need to upgrade to a Pertronix (or other) unit?
That Havoline is good oil. I have used it for years, with no issues. Spend all the money you want on fancy oils, but the old FEs really don't need it.

John

Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that's a rear bumper! Congrats on the find!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 50wt. is called for in the tranny & transfer case for easier shifting. 30wt in cold weather country. Check for a glove box hand book with all the info & spaces oil types

90wt in the axle ball end u-joints engage hubs every 1000 miles to lube upper king pins axle u-joints.

Nice find have fun with it!
Orich

Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM
cstoyer
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice find as you don't see many long bed step sides around. I also see yours still has the original Spicer Lock outs like mine. Good luck and have fun.

cstoyer

Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Man, you jumped in to the World Of Bumpsides with both feet! Way COOL find! Long bed Flareside and all. If you ever get it "restored" nice and pretty you ought to ask the Fire Chief if you can put the letters back on it. I'd take measurements and pics of those door letters now. Just in case.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Very nice truck! Congratulations!
Regards,
Chris

Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM
nkf
Mountain Pass
Up grading from points is a good thing. If it was me, I'd drop a DS dizzy in and use a GM 4 pin ignition module. Add a Ford TFI coil. Gives you the ability to by parts at any back woods part store. Most of all have fun with here.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Staplesatwork

Pertronix I (PN 1281) is fine with a stock coil.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Staplesatwork
Junior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Man, you jumped in to the World Of Bumpsides with both feet! Way COOL find! Long bed Flareside and all. If you ever get it "restored" nice and pretty you ought to ask the Fire Chief if you can put the letters back on it. I'd take measurements and pics of those door letters now. Just in case.
I doubt I'll ever totally "restore" the truck and I definitely won't be covering up the letters from the fire station. I'm going to clean it up really well and wax everything for now. It is a pretty unique truck based on what I've seen on the forums and internet so I want to keep that character intact. It also won't ever get totally restored because its going to get used as a truck!

Quick Reply: My New 1970 F-250 4x4 Fire Truck