1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start after pressure wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Mike Angel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start after pressure wash

While trying to pin point a oil leak I was washing underneath not sprayin all in the motor and go to start when I finished and everything works wait to start light comes on...goes off and won't fire up...also I think to oil temp light doesn't go off when key is turned over and not reading any oil pressure...help!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your going to have to give us a little more to go on like Vehicle, year, model, engine ( v8 v6 4.6, 5.4 6.2. 6.8, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 ) Gas or diesel etc

That will help in giving you some advice. My one suggestion would be to take a leaf blower or if you have an air compressor and try and blow as much sitting water off the engine in place where you see a lot of wetness, especially around the spark plug wells. Water loves to sit in the wells, blow them out and make sure your battery connections are tights and not corroded

Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 AM
reptar0077
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
My one suggestion would be to take a leaf blower or if you have an air compressor and try and blow as much sitting water off the engine in place where you see a lot of wetness, especially around the spark plug wells. Water loves to sit in the wells, blow them out and make sure your battery connections are tights and not corroded
That was also great advice! Once in a very long time, all lightly spray dirty areas on top of my engine with simple green, let it soak in for 5ish minutes and spray off. When I say spray off I literally mean mist off gently, while avoiding any electronic connections. Then use rags to wipe down any remaining dirty areas.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I understand not giving your address.. or phone number..

but the past couple of days..

not a single bit of information on what they want to get running.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
I understand not giving your address.. or phone number..

but the past couple of days..

not a single bit of information on what they want to get running.
It happens with some of the new posters, I think they are worried about the problem and describing it that it slips their mind to put in details of the vehicle and engine etc. Ah well it happens.

The ones I find curious are the guys who never come back and say what the solution was to get their trucks back up and running, your always curious to hear what solved the problem in hopes it might help others.

Have to wait to see if the Op posts back now

Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by reptar0077
That was also great advice! Once in a very long time, all lightly spray dirty areas on top of my engine with simple green, let it soak in for 5ish minutes and spray off. When I say spray off I literally mean mist off gently, while avoiding any electronic connections. Then use rags to wipe down any remaining dirty areas.
Whenever I wash my engine in my trucks I always always never go with the highest power setting known to man on the pressure washer, like you I use a mist, but I always make sure there are certain areas I wrap with a cut up heavy duty garbage bag because I want no water to get in there

Fuse Box, computer connection point, any areas were wires are exposed coming to a connector I always wrap them up and put some tape on them after I am done washing then it is either some air from the compressor or the leaf blower and start to dry the engine off still leaving those areas wrapped off, after I take a little spray bottle and clean those areas with a clean cloth and then dry them off with a different cloth

too many horror stories about guys gong all commando with the pressure washer and soaking everything in sight and then wondering why their trucks are not starting

Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Bugize
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironic you guys mention that. My daughter and her b/f asked if I would use a pressure washer if they bought me one for x-mas, I told them,only on the vinyl siding of the house,never my vehicles or bike. I have seen to many problems caused by those things...good ole garden hose and nozzle for me.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bugize
Ironic you guys mention that. My daughter and her b/f asked if I would use a pressure washer if they bought me one for x-mas, I told them,only on the vinyl siding of the house,never my vehicles or bike. I have seen to many problems caused by those things...good ole garden hose and nozzle for me.
That works too, I think the biggest thing is the guys that just go with the highest setting possible and soak the hell out of it not really minding where all that water is going and whats getting soaked.

I bough my dad one for his birthday to make it easier to wash his truck and what not, lol.. say it uses too much water, so he still uses the bucket and garden hose and a brush, but loves it for the windows on the second floor on the house

Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I keep my engine compartment clean all the time. I wipe it down every other truck wash. Never use a pressure washer in there though. If you keep it clean under the hood it isn't that hard to do. If you need to use a hose and simple green which i have also done in the past just use your shop vac to blow off the water. never usw high pressure to rinse off the soap.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are paranoid.
I use a pressure washer on every inch of my truck , and every rig I work on .
I refuse to work on greasy nasty stuff .
So clean them up , blow them off , and start them .
Vehicles are designed to operate in many extreme conditions these days ,and most if not all of the electrical connectors have a weather pack connector of some type .
There are some components,that I am sure that if you just blast on them , will get wet .
A can of WD40 ,can be your friend with wet connections should you have them .

I used to do a lot of mudding with my old 72 F250 .
Was great in the mountains and mud , but sometimes , the distributor would take a bath , and the old boy would take on water or steam in the cap .
Pop it off, spray wd40 , put it back, same with the plug wires , and be on my way .
Obviously not as technical as today's vehicles , but still a product that will get you up and running , should you need .