Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Charging trailer batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Charging trailer batteries

My phone doesn't "yahoo" to well, but did find this exert..(pic coming). I had "thought" I taped into the correct write at the time to feed my auxiliary reverse lights, however when trailer is plugged in, they light up, lol. They also light up when NOT in tow, and in reverse. Anyway, looking for any insight on how/what can I use, to make my trailer batts charge while towing...
.......QUOTE......

Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Found a few diagrams.... What would the AUX be coupled to? If my extra reverse lights are Chevy, then my aux spade IS the reverse light spade which is mentioned in the "quote" section Think, the 12v spade would be the charging circuit. Say something about this photo
Say something about this photo

Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,134 Posts
yes the 12 volt spade is the charging circuit, your truck should have a relay that only lets it charge if the truck in running.
it is possible that your trailer has the 12 volt connected to the center (aux) pin and is feeding your backup lights.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
I'll take a gander here in a few when light breaks. Just confusing that the led bumper mounted lights, come on when trailer is hooked up and plugged in, but the lights also come on when in reverse with no trailer

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Just use a test light and check the pins on the seven pin and you should be able to tell what is what pretty easily. Better still, for just a very few bucks you can pick up a tester that plugs right into your seven pin at any Advance, etc. and it lights up to show you what is activated when.

If you did any wiring yourself, the most common mistake I have seen folks make is confuse the wiring diagram as to whether the diagram they are using is facing the front or back of the seven pin wiring diagram.

Steve

Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Just use a test light and check the pins on the seven pin and you should be able to tell what is what pretty easily. Better still, for just a very few bucks you can pick up a tester that plugs right into your seven pin at any Advance, etc. and it lights up to show you what is activated when.

If you did any wiring yourself, the most common mistake I have seen folks make is confuse the wiring diagram as to whether the diagram they are using is facing the front or back of the seven pin wiring diagram.

Steve
very true on the front and back!
i also see problems with wire colors where someone wired the plug with the color code on the plug and not what the wire does and where it should go.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Will do... What still chaps my a$$, is plugging in trailer plug and the LED's light up, but not the reverse lights on truck, in which the led lights are what they're tapped into.
. Got my cig lighter wired up which is mounted into the rear bumper. For air compressor purposes😉

Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All super duties have a removable harness by the spare tire that connects to the 7-way directly. Some trucks have been modified. If you find your truck wiring is messed up, unplug that short harness and inspect for incorrect modifications at the back of the truck. You an buy a new 7 way complete with harness at many auto stores or on the internet.
Larry

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on the year of the truck, but most older super duties are this way, there are two relays under the hood near the master cylinder that feed the battery charging circuit and the electric brakes. From the factory, the relays are packaged in the glove compartment until needed.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:55 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Will do... What still chaps my a$$, is plugging in trailer plug and the LED's light up, but not the reverse lights on truck, in which the led lights are what they're tapped into.
. Got my cig lighter wired up which is mounted into the rear bumper. For air compressor purposes😉
you didn't make this clear in your original post.
does both the LED and factory backup lights work when the trailer is not connected?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:29 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Whenever I have to sort through a problem like this, I started at the truck wire by wire until I am certain everything is working there as it should, then I move to the trailer. That way it is easier to determine feedback issues and which end to focus on.

Steve

Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by helifixer
you didn't make this clear in your original post.
does both the LED and factory backup lights work when the trailer is not connected?
I mentioned it in #1 and #4, but never the less... Yeah!, they work perfect with NO trailer. With trailer hooked, the LED's are on and with trailer hooked and in reverse, the trucks' lights work too. Only the LED's are on when "in tow"
. As for the loom being messed with, nope..only when I decided to get in there....

Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Here's said lights
Said lights with KOEO, in N. I'll take a pic in a few with trailer hooked, so you guys get idea. Raining at moment. 7-4 plug, plugged in hoping it would light up leds.
Said lights with shifter in R and koeo

Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Just FYI, the charge rate of trailer patteries through the 7-pin is very low. I've heard it's because of how long the harness is. It's barely above a maintenance charge. But, maintenance charge is better than nothing!

Old 01-07-2017, 03:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Just FYI, the charge rate of trailer patteries through the 7-pin is very low. I've heard it's because of how long the harness is. It's barely above a maintenance charge. But, maintenance charge is better than nothing!
It depends on how you are defining a maintenance charge. That charge lead is fused at 30 amps.

Steve

Quick Reply: Charging trailer batteries