2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cameras not working in cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 PM
TX_YJ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameras not working in cold temps?

Have a Lariat 350 here. Did a quick search and didn't find any posts specific to this issue with the new model. Best I can tell it only happens when the outside temperatures are right around freezing or below. Basically the screen goes black when you put it in reverse or try to toggle the front camera. I've only had the entire screen not come on once. Shut the truck off and open/closed the door and restarted and it fired back up, again without the cameras working. It seems like they start working after the truck has been operated for a while and warms up.

Is this common during cold weather? Possible bug the dealer needs to look at? It's not a huge issue because Texas winters don't last long. You don't realize how nice all the cameras are on a CCLB until you don't have them! Oddly enough the rear backup sensors do continue to work and beep. Anyway, just though I would share this issue to see what y'all might have to say. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 PM
daVincidoc
Senior User
5 below zero here last few days with highs around 7 above. Cameras work fine. I would get it checked out

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Camera has worked fine every day so far, and it's running in the low teens here.. Snow tends to cover the tailgate cam, but that's about it...

Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 PM
firechicken92
Freshman User
Your not alone. I'm a month in and it's happened to me three times on freezing mornings. I can say a master reset on the head unit also brings them back up if you are in a hurry for them to work.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 PM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
no problems here above, at, or well below freezing.
But as someone else said. I have had snow and ice on some of the cameras that basically render them useless.

ysgi

Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_YJ
Have a Lariat 350 here. Did a quick search and didn't find any posts specific to this issue with the new model. Best I can tell it only happens when the outside temperatures are right around freezing or below. Basically the screen goes black when you put it in reverse or try to toggle the front camera. I've only had the entire screen not come on once. Shut the truck off and open/closed the door and restarted and it fired back up, again without the cameras working. It seems like they start working after the truck has been operated for a while and warms up.

Is this common during cold weather? Possible bug the dealer needs to look at? It's not a huge issue because Texas winters don't last long. You don't realize how nice all the cameras are on a CCLB until you don't have them! Oddly enough the rear backup sensors do continue to work and beep. Anyway, just though I would share this issue to see what y'all might have to say. Thanks in advance.
I have had the same issue at times, it has been at 0 or below the last several days. It starts working once I park it and it sits in the garage for a few minutes. Im not too concerned, unless it completely stops. Hard to troubleshoot something that is intermittent.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know if this is related but I know a lot of aftermarket LCD head units do have limited functionality when they are too cold. A few aftermarket head units I used to have had them listed at anything below IIRC 20 degrees Fahrenheit will result in limited functionality with minimum operating range around 0 degrees. I know the temp was higher than I expected it to be but ran into it a few times even living in Arizona the past few years. Ran into the temp limited function a lot in Michigan. This will depend on where the truck is stored and is also dependent on what the head unit deems as too cold.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
TX_YJ
New User
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
I have had the same issue at times, it has been at 0 or below the last several days. It starts working once I park it and it sits in the garage for a few minutes. Im not too concerned, unless it completely stops. Hard to troubleshoot something that is intermittent.

This is my fear if/when I take it to the dealer. It will probably work flawlessly...

Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Lariat with the fancy camera tow package. Its been 17 to 25 here for a while and no issues with the cameras at all due to cold weather.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it needs to be bellow -20 before the cold effects electronics. Mine has never had cold related problems just electrical issues and lots of them. I believe ford built me a lemon.

My 08 f350 backup camera never failed in any cold. -40 no problems. And that is over 7 years.