Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle and inner seal questions?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
There wasn't any on there when I took mine out so I didn't use any when I put the new seals in. Those suckers fit tight in the bore and the case isn't under pressure. It just prevents the oil from splashing out the axle hole.

I would be hesitant to add RTV inside the case anywhere IMHO.

I installed my seals just over 50K miles ago and I haven't had any problems.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:14 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
F0rdc0wb0y is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Installing the carrier within the hour and while going through the pictures I took of the disassembly I noticed that the letters on the bearing caps don't match the letters stamped into the housing. you can see how G is positioned in both pics. Looks like they were switched. I'm the second owner of the truck and afaik I'm the first since the factory to do any work to this diff. So, do I install them the way I found them or change them? Thanks guys

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I know it's a bit late but how did you re-install them? I would have re-installed them the way I found them. If it had been working I wouldn't rock the boat.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
F0rdc0wb0y is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I installed them the way I found them. Like you said "why rock the boat". I will say that freezing the carrier was a life saver. Can't believe how easy it went back in. Effortless.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F0rdc0wb0y View Post
I installed them the way I found them. Like you said "why rock the boat". I will say that freezing the carrier was a life saver. Can't believe how easy it went back in. Effortless.
Glad to hear it! I was sweating a case spreader and came across the freezer story. As you said it was a life saver.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ive been searching and searching and cannot find a write-up on how to to do replace the inner and dust seals for the front axles. Have you guys found one?

Closest thing Ive found is this video but it doesnt get to the seals. Just to removal of the hubs.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Obviously you are not replacing your ball joints but those are most likely the write-ups/videos you should be looking at. The axle dust seal is not very critical and requires the axle to be completely pulled out to replace which is labor-intensive and not much benefit for the cost for it to be a standalone project.

Here is a write-up: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html

I've also attached a write-up from another site that I keep as a reference. There are others out there. Just look for ball joint replacements and see if it includes the steps/pictures for the pieces of the evolution that you are looking for.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Ball Joint Replacement.pdf (1.75 MB, 3 views)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Obviously you are not replacing your ball joints but those are most likely the write-ups/videos you should be looking at. The axle dust seal is not very critical and requires the axle to be completely pulled out to replace which is labor-intensive and not much benefit for the cost for it to be a standalone project.

Here is a write-up: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html

I've also attached a write-up from another site that keep as a reference. There are others out there. Just look for ball joint replacements and see if it includes the steps/pictures for the pieces of the evolution that you are looking for.
Thanks Brian. I already did the ball joints. Im looking for the inner front axle seals. The one's that hold in the gear oil in the front differential.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Ahhh...now I get it. Did that job a few years ago. I'll see if I can dig up any info I used.

Biggest thing I learned: get the install tool or borrow one from a fellow FTE'er. I know someone has loaned theirs out before. It's not a cheap tool but worth it IMO. I tried to outsmart the process with some threaded rod, , and a bunch of washers. Bad idea.

I also put a bungee cord on the carrier so that when I slid it out (with a small prybar) it didn't come flying out at me. That puppy is not light.

The freezer thing has already been mentioned. Worked like a champ.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Thanks Brian. Does the differential need to come out of the carrier?

​​​​​I need to get my hands on the tool.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
Thanks Brian. Does the differential need to come out of the carrier?

​​​​​I need to get my hands on the tool.
Yes it does. You have to get the carrier out to get to the oil seals and you need to get the axles out to get the carrier out.

No special tools to get the carrier out. Undo the 4 bolts on the straps, patiently pry at the carrier and it will eventually slide out. As I mentioned before have some kind of retaining/support attached to it so you are not bearing the brunt of the weight/force of it trying to attack you once it is freed from the housing. Probably won't turn out well...just sayin'.

I marked the 4 bolts and the straps so they went back in the exact same location/orientation as they came out. Make sure you take note of the spacers on either side of the carrier before you start prying. They may fall out once the carrier is loose.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 PM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Putting a rag between the pinion and ring gear helps get it started.

As far as the tool goes, F0rdc0wb0y lent me his tools when I installed my personal axle seals. A couple weeks ago I made a tool to do it as I had an Excursion come through at work needing the seals. Made it out of some 3/4 all thread, 3/4 nuts, and various sized washers. If you're able to weld, it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie View Post
Putting a rag between the pinion and ring gear helps get it started.

As far as the tool goes, F0rdc0wb0y lent me his tools when I installed my personal axle seals. A couple weeks ago I made a tool to do it as I had an Excursion come through at work needing the seals. Made it out of some 3/4 all thread, 3/4 nuts, and various sized washers. If you're able to weld, it wouldn't be too hard to do.
Could you post a picture of what you made?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
You guys are scaring me now. I just did my entire front end, but no inner axle seals and I am wondering how much borrowed time I will have now. LOL...aye yie yie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle and inner seal questions?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.