Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle and inner seal questions?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
F0rdc0wb0y is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by retiredsparky View Post
It is my opinion that on higher mileage trucks, when removing those front axles, if the inner seals are original, if they are not leaking when you take out the axles, they very often will after you put the axles back in. That inner seal rubber has gotten harder over the years and just barely does it's job by constantly being in contact with a nicely polished up axle in there. When you r/r that axle, it is difficult to not scuff that rubber a little bit with the splines going either out or in - take your pick. Just my very humble opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Larry
That was exactly my thought and why I decided to change them. The driver side wheel bearing took a dump on me and I decided instead of just changing out the one bad hub assembly I would give the entire axle some love. I started tearing it down this afternoon and got everything disassembled. I have a question concerning reassembly. Can I coat both inner axle shafts in a thin layer of grease before installing back into the axle? They both had some rust on them and I'd like to protect them if I could.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
As an FYI, I also had to change both outer axles where the small roller bearing rides. Mine were worn beyond limits. Good luck!
Im lucky. Both of mine look brand new.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Rikster-7700
Posting Guru
Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't know about costing them with grease would be a good idea. When (not if) the dust seals on your axle tube fail again, and dirt or grime that gets in there is going to want to stick to the grease, making a mess. How about sand them down some and reprint them? You may also want to scrape any crap out of the axle tube while you have everything tore down. Some washers on a stick of allthread should work fine.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Good idea. I hadn't thought of paint. Tomorrow after work I'll hit the Home Depot for some all thread, nuts and washers. In addition to scraping out the axle tubes with all thread contraption lol I was going to use it to knock out the old oil seals and axle guides. Speaking of axles guides, I can't find it in any parts diagrams and it has no Ford or spicer part number either. I've only seen it mentioned once in all my grueling research for this project and it was referred to as an axle guide. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow but it looks like a white plastic cone shaped object that sits ahead of the oil seal in the axle tube.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Got the front diff pulled out this evening and removed the old seals and axle guides. Ordered some new axle guides from broncograveyard as I destroyed the old ones. The diff was extremely tight getting out. I can only imagine the how hellashish it's gonna be going back in. I've read where folks talked about putting the diff in a freezer or cooler overnight to make installation easier. Is there any truth to this? And does it make it signifanctly easier?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
It makes a world of difference. I read about people cracking the housing with a case spreader so I wanted to avoid that.

I read about people putting it in the freezer overnight. I wasn't too comfortable with that extreme even though I wouldn't be driving the truck for a couple of days after putting it all back together. Instead I put the carrier in a trash bag in a trash bag in a trash bag. I figured that it wouldn't get wet if I had three layers of plastic around it. Then I put it in one of my large Igloo coolers and filled the cooler with ice. I left it overnight and the carrier slipped in without a problem the next morning. Even had plenty of room to put the shims in without issue.

Also, I didn't grease my seals and haven't had any issues (55K miles). Mixing the grease and gear oil splashing around in there wasn't something I considered as a good idea.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Cool. I have access to a large deep freeze and was thinking of placing the carrier in there for a day or two before reinstall. Y'all think the cold would damage it in any way for that extended period? I know it's a dumb question but I have to ask. Also, once it was installed I was gonna leave the diff cover off and let it thaw out. Water in diff is no bueno.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I don't think one night would be a problem. I had mine on ice for about 14 hours before installing it and it went back in without a hitch (including the shims).

Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You're not going to hurt that thing by putting it in the freezer. I freeze my bearing races before I drive them into their holes too. I would say that letting it breath so the condensation can evaporate wouldn't hurt anything. But...it will be frost at first until it warms enough to melt and it will be cold so you might want to use gloves to handle it. And don't try licking it.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
Never thought about the condensation/freezer burn. I didn't have any from using the cooler.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Received the inner oil seal seating tool. Very impressed with it. It has a built in depth stop so you can't seat the seals too deep. Purchased from www.4x4tools.com. Part number TS4808.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Axles prepped and ready for install. Paint, seals and u joints.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F0rdc0wb0y View Post
Received the inner oil seal seating tool. Very impressed with it. It has a built in depth stop so you can't seat the seals too deep. Purchased from Quad Tools. Part number TS4808.
Tried to build my own...bad idea. Next time I will be buying the installer.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Senior User
Gonna press the new inner seals in tonight and got to thinking if adding a bead of permatex to the back side of the seal would be a good idea? Thoughts? Here's a pic I found.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
My personal opinion is that a thin layer would not hurt. I have done it and not done it in the past, never had a problem either way. If there are any burrs in the seat from removing the old seal you would want to clean them up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle and inner seal questions?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.