Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Hybrid f150(and mustang) confirmed 2020

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Hybrid f150(and mustang) confirmed 2020

ford just confirmed that there will be a hybrid f150 and mustang by 2020. What are your thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/ford-is-making-a-hybrid-mustang-and-hybrid-f-150-1790710931/amp?client=safari

Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
the more drivetrain options the better. Not sure if I will buy one, but that's enough years in the future that it's hard to predict.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome...I'd love a hybrid F-150 if they get the details right. And hybrid Mustang owners can laugh at everyone in their rear view mirror yelling "Yeah, well...at least I have a V8 sound!"

Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Could 2020 be another body style change year?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll bet the F150 will be two wheel drive only. Last rumor I heard from a few years ago said it'll only be 2wd. Hybrid mustang might be interesting. I mean McLaren has the P1 which is a hybrid super car, so it's nothing too special and it should not have a huge backlash. However, it won't have a manual transmission, which is a turn off for me. If I'm buying a mustang, it'll be a GT and a manual.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
It's all in the details. If Ford can pull off a full hybrid with an eCVT that's rated to tow I'd be all in. No clutches, bands, or hydraulics to fail in the transmission, they're all one continuously meshed gearset controlled by electric motors. These are the most reliable transmissions on the planet, and have outstanding efficiency.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:07 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tom
It's all in the details. If Ford can pull off a full hybrid with an eCVT that's rated to tow I'd be all in. No clutches, bands, or hydraulics to fail in the transmission, they're all one continuously meshed gearset controlled by electric motors. These are the most reliable transmissions on the planet, and have outstanding efficiency.
I'd be all in too but I'll wager the buy in cost will be staggering. You can buy a lot of fuel for the price of that technology. Clearly my opinion isn't the correct mindset if one is going to make the leap.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'd be all in too but I'll wager the buy in cost will be staggering. You can buy a lot of fuel for the price of that technology. Clearly my opinion isn't the correct mindset if one is going to make the leap.
Perhaps, Tim. Not so sure cost would be as high as people would think...this has become mainstream technology now. Do you think it's cheaper to build a simple planetary gearset with no clutches, controlled by two electric motors...or a 10-speed automatic with five clutches and hydraulics to control them all?

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know how much more challenging it would be to create such a transmission that's rated for the power and capability of a pickup truck. Remember people said the same sorts of things about putting a twin-turbo direct-injected V6 into a pickup truck, and look where we are now?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tom
Perhaps, Tim. Not so sure cost would be as high as people would think...this has become mainstream technology now. Do you think it's cheaper to build a simple planetary gearset with no clutches, controlled by two electric motors...or a 10-speed automatic with five clutches and hydraulics to control them all?

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know how much more challenging it would be to create such a transmission that's rated for the power and capability of a pickup truck. Remember people said the same sorts of things about putting a twin-turbo direct-injected V6 into a pickup truck, and look where we are now?
I get where you're going Tom but, Ford and GM shared the R&D costs of the 10 speed and the 9 speed transmissions. Very smart IMHO as it opens the doors for better parts availability, lower costs and hopefully, just hopefully better reliability.

Ford's Hybrid technology has been raved as perhaps some of the most reliable in the market and is well on par with Toyota, or better. Not questioning it's ability to perform. But compare the cost of a Fusion Hybrid to a 2.5L four cylinder base model Fusion. There's easily a 20% + price difference. I'd compare trucks but th ere aren't any in Ford's line up.

My daughter's 2015 Fusion base model 2.5L gas gets 20+ in town and well over 30 on the freeway. We were able to negotiate her price to below $19,000 two years ago. The car has been flawless tot his point except for the oil life monitor needed a reflash.

I can see these trucks as being able to perform light duties which is what most of us need anyway. Get the price in line with a gas burner and I'll be all over it.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
I'm curious as to why Ford would spend money on hybrid tech, rather than ***** to the wall full electric. They are already planning more electric vehicles in the future, according to some sources, so why not just skip the in-between and just go full on. Electric motors are instant torque and require no transmissions.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
I'm curious as to why Ford would spend money on hybrid tech, rather than ***** to the wall full electric. They are already planning more electric vehicles in the future, according to some sources, so why not just skip the in-between and just go full on. Electric motors are instant torque and require no transmissions.
I think that would be much harder to do with current battery technology. It would take a substantially bigger battery to power a full electric truck than it would a hybrid. The Tesla Model S has a 60Kw battery, compared to 1.5 Kw for a Prius.

The cost for the battery for the Model S is over $30,000...how big of a battery would it take to power a pickup truck with any capability? How much would the truck cost? I think it's much more likely that a $2-3,000 battery pack could be integrated into a pickup truck than a $50,000+ pack needed to go full electric.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tom
I think that would be much harder to do with current battery technology. It would take a substantially bigger battery to power a full electric truck than it would a hybrid. The Tesla Model S has a 60Kw battery, compared to 1.5 Kw for a Prius.

The cost for the battery for the Model S is over $30,000...how big of a battery would it take to power a pickup truck with any capability? How much would the truck cost? I think it's much more likely that a $2-3,000 battery pack could be integrated into a pickup truck than a $50,000+ pack needed to go full electric.
I see your point. However the Tesla Model X weighs more than the new F150 by several hundred pounds, with a range of 250 miles. My point is though, if Ford is working on several electric SUVs, the F150 should also be a priority too.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:26 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm buying a mustang, it'll be a GT and a manual.

Like P-Nut Butter n Jelly...

Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by pikapp
Like P-Nut Butter n Jelly...
You know it! Best combination out there.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I'll bet the F150 will be two wheel drive only. Last rumor I heard from a few years ago said it'll only be 2wd.
I don't believe that for a minute. Actually, I don't believe that for even 5 seconds.

Quick Reply: Hybrid f150(and mustang) confirmed 2020