2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Duramax vs 2017 Power Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN 1
my 16 denali hd shhok non stop .. finally after 2600 miles went back to a superduty . hoping for the best , some snags ,but love the looks n power of the ford so far . hoping this oil pressure thing doesn't become huge down the road .
Yeah, but how big can it really get? Your engine breaks, it gets towed to your local dealer, and you get it back shortly after with a shiny new engine. Not something worth worrying about IMHO.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryananding
More images of the horrible DEF tank placement. Driving that down the pipeline that I work on, the first time a skid board kicks up under the truck it would destroy that tank. Looks horrible too. I loved the look of the GMC until I saw this in person.
That tank would look wicked all armor all'ed up on a lifted truck!!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone want to bring over a 2017 GMC/Chevy and Super Duty? I know a nice 18% grade hill and a 15K trailer we could use for a towing drag race.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 AM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Two things ive noticed about new chevys and gmcs
-I don't like the headlights that have an led outline and a light in the center so it looks like a science fiction monster eye (actually there are tons of makes doing this maybe the 17 superduty as well idk)
-has anyone noticed the GMC and Chevy trucks look like crap when they are dirty?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brake4beaver
Wow that DEF tank is uh, special. It appears that GM still doesn't have a fix for the "Chevy shake" many of their trucks and SUV's suffer from either.
Mysterious 'Chevy Shake' Brings Much Frustration, Few Solutions - PickupTrucks.com News
This single thread alone has 695 pages about the problem.
Shake or Vibration Issues - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 Silverado & Sierra Issues, Troubleshooting, & Recalls/Service Bulletins - GM-Trucks.com
They all have issues, Ford has has plenty of major issues over the past 15 years. I choose a Ford this time but I don't suspect it will necessarily be a magic bulletproof truck compared to my previous chevys and rams.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oklarado
They all have issues, Ford has has plenty of major issues over the past 15 years. I choose a Ford this time but I don't suspect it will necessarily be a magic bulletproof truck compared to my previous chevys and rams.
I 100 percent agree .. but there have been fair share of issues being reported . I stepped up into a new level , so unloading this truck ,probably be a little tuffer . my last 5 new trucks were sold in a couple weeks ..only loosing a few k each time .. usually new truck every year . this one ive decided two years minimum . hopefully all just minor bugs .. keeping my resale high . don't want another 6.0 , 6.4 , 5.4 triton , delema .. just good old ford tuff .. as for gm not looking clean , I'm confussed ,as all colors show dirt different . my white denali could go un washed a week easy and still look clean . now my black denali , I sold after 3 mo . said id never have another black truck .. well ...lol

Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
Two things ive noticed about new chevys and gmcs
-I don't like the headlights that have an led outline and a light in the center so it looks like a science fiction monster eye (actually there are tons of makes doing this maybe the 17 superduty as well idk)
-has anyone noticed the GMC and Chevy trucks look like crap when they are dirty?
don't these 17 have the same light deal as gmc truck . light in the middle , with u shaped lights wrapped around it .

Old 01-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Amelio
Senior User
The dyno vid is interesting, it's showing the LP5 at 403/879 at the tire! That means that the engine would have to be making a lot more than the advertised 445/910. Either the truck is really underrated from factory numbers, the calibration on the dyno is way off or the tune has been played with to increase power.

I'm not one to buy based on power but more power is never a bad thing in my book. Really the GM is missing a lot of tech that the Ford has but if this is a true power output then its very stout and the factory numbers are low!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
The dyno vid is interesting, it's showing the LP5 at 403/879 at the tire! That means that the engine would have to be making a lot more than the advertised 445/910. Either the truck is really underrated from factory numbers, the calibration on the dyno is way off or the tune has been played with to increase power.

I'm not one to buy based on power but more power is never a bad thing in my book. Really the GM is missing a lot of tech that the Ford has but if this is a true power output then its very stout and the factory numbers are low!
Those numbers would reflect a parasitic loss of 3-4% if the GM numbers are flywheel numbers rather than at the rear wheels.

Todays modern transmissions I would say that is within the parameters of parasitic loss.

All that said everyone looks a peak numbers and that simply does not tell the story. Peak numbers occur near the top of the rpm band in a area that few if any drive.

Over in the off road world so dominated by Jeep the old and very tired Jeep straight 6 rules the hilltops. When 80% of your torque shows up just past idle and you game is slower than walking speed then that engine is hard to beat...of course driving down the highway is a whole nothing challenge.

The real question is not how much but how much where I drive. I rarely see much action in my truck beyond 2200 rpm unless I am entering the freeway or passing.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Those numbers would reflect a parasitic loss of 3-4% if the GM numbers are flywheel numbers rather than at the rear wheels. Todays modern transmissions I would say that is within the parameters of parasitic loss. All that said everyone looks a peak numbers and that simply does not tell the story. Peak numbers occur near the top of the rpm band in a area that few if any drive. Over in the off road world so dominated by Jeep the old and very tired Jeep straight 6 rules the hilltops. When 80% of your torque shows up just past idle and you game is slower than walking speed then that engine is hard to beat...of course driving down the highway is a whole nothing challenge. The real question is not how much but how much where I drive. I rarely see much action in my truck beyond 2200 rpm unless I am entering the freeway or passing.
I agree 100% I never concern myself with peak numbers but this engine does seem to make real power down low and stay there. If it truly is 100% stock then it's very stout! Curious to know where the 6.7 falls in line???? Also I have still not seen what Ford did to gain the additional 65 foot pounds. I assume it's a minor tune tweak and I wonder why they didn't bump the hp?

Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
I agree 100% I never concern myself with peak numbers but this engine does seem to make real power down low and stay there. If it truly is 100% stock then it's very stout! Curious to know where the 6.7 falls in line???? Also I have still not seen what Ford did to gain the additional 65 foot pounds. I assume it's a minor tune tweak and I wonder why they didn't bump the hp?
It seems that Ford is quite stingy with the torque they have given us. My '15 Dually KR would blow the doors off my '17 KR SRW.

I remember one time I was at a light and a guy pulls up in a stang, newish, V8, not sure what model, young kid. Light goes green and he nails it, turn out he needed to get in the left had turn lane. I nail it and I own him. It was a straight road no cross traffic and we are heads up at the light. He fades faster then Brittany Spears last wannabe hit song. He follows me into the parking lot at the mall and he is besides himself. WOW you just beat me what kind of motor what mods etc. He asks me to open the hood and I do. The kid was giddy. We talked a while and parted ways and as he turned to leave he said he was trading in that 'stang on a Superduty...

Old 01-08-2017, 05:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My wife raced a mustang with her Lincoln mkc. Wife won.
2.3 ecoboost.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm not calling you a liar, but the only way a stock Super Duty beats a stock '11+ Mustang GT is if the Mustang driver is asleep. Or the Super Duty is being towed by the Space Shuttle.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
It seems that Ford is quite stingy with the torque they have given us. My '15 Dually KR would blow the doors off my '17 KR SRW. I remember one time I was at a light and a guy pulls up in a stang, newish, V8, not sure what model, young kid. Light goes green and he nails it, turn out he needed to get in the left had turn lane. I nail it and I own him. It was a straight road no cross traffic and we are heads up at the light. He fades faster then Brittany Spears last wannabe hit song. He follows me into the parking lot at the mall and he is besides himself. WOW you just beat me what kind of motor what mods etc. He asks me to open the hood and I do. The kid was giddy. We talked a while and parted ways and as he turned to leave he said he was trading in that 'stang on a Superduty...
Hahahahaha that's good! Is your truck stock? It's my understanding they GM does not limit full power in the lower gears like Ford does. I'm curios to drive a new '17 I am hearing they are more peppy than the previous model. I'm sure with your dually you have more gear the the new truck right?

Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm not calling you a liar, but the only way a stock Super Duty beats a stock '11+ Mustang GT is if the Mustang driver is asleep. Or the Super Duty is being towed by the Space Shuttle.
right on .. two coils were off ... those mustangs chit n git .. just saying .. I don't consider my 17 duelly anything but fast .. just saying ... not beating anyone up here .

Quick Reply: 2017 Duramax vs 2017 Power Stroke