Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1Legs 2001 F250 CCSB 4wd/Auto build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Need to rebuild my Turbo one day... before it blows up... although this is my Daily driver and I don't push it hard ever !

Old 09-26-2019, 09:26 PM
1leg
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap 2 year flew by. Currently in the process of doing the turbo rebuild, Fuel bowl rebuild and FRX install. About 2 weeks ago the truck started losing power and throwing codes. Decided it was time to open the wallet and show this truck some love.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:20 PM
1leg
Senior User
So I got a new/rebuilt stock turbo center section from a local turbo shop called pure turbo, I only have 2 day of driving on this and so far so good. I also bought all the parts need to rebuild the fuel bowl and fuel lines from Riff Raff. I also add the FRX and CVD high flow fitting. I also did a oil change and added Hot Shot Stiction Eliminator.

I also painted the Turbo inlet housing and spider international red and header wrapped the hot side pipe. I want to wrap the cold side also.

I have only had 2 day of running and so far power if back to normal, the engine seems to be much quieter and smoother. Start up in the morning is easy and quick note I live in socal.

Next up are the up-pipes and looking for some 2015 seats.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM
1leg
Senior User
Yesterday I did the "Red Tube Mod" and the Harbor Freght "DIY Boost Fooler Mod". Very happy with the increase in throttle response. It isn't crazy new power just seems to have a little more get up and go when you give it the skinny pedel. I can't wait to ee how it does on the highway.
Still no plans for a tuner or bigger injectors I don't need that power.

Todo list is getting longer (not in order)
Up Pipes
Full trans flush and filter change
Raptor coat the roof "White"
Raptor coat the sides to cover the gold "White"
Repaint the hood (peeling paint)

Old 10-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
I understand your desire to keep the OEM AD injectors, I am in the same boat.

Although, I would like to make a suggestion that you re-evaluate your "no tuner" thoughts. A Hydra tuner can provide so much more than just "power". Take a look around wide an open mind on the tuner and don't focus on the "more power" aspect.

If you still decide to keep the programming OEM, then more power to you as we all have different goals and inspiration for our 7.3L.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:03 PM
1leg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
I understand your desire to keep the OEM AD injectors, I am in the same boat.

Although, I would like to make a suggestion that you re-evaluate your "no tuner" thoughts. A Hydra tuner can provide so much more than just "power". Take a look around wide an open mind on the tuner and don't focus on the "more power" aspect.

If you still decide to keep the programming OEM, then more power to you as we all have different goals and inspiration for our 7.3L.
Thank you for your advise.
I have given some thought to a tuner to help with transmission shifting. I'm convinced that I will be doing a trans rebuild in the near future. In about 6 months my towing opportunity will greatly increase. The truck in stock form should tow easily what I plan to tow (less then 8000lbs). I suspect injectors will also come in the future and at that point why wouldn't you step up to stage 1s and at that point a tune will be need..

Old 10-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Originally Posted by 1leg
I suspect injectors will also come in the future and at that point why wouldn't you step up to stage 1s
I had that same course of action dead set for years... not any longer though. You would be surprised what that old 7.3L can do with a new/more advanced turbo strapped to the top of it pushing fresh air into it.

When my 255,000 mile injectors finally give up, I will be getting new Alliant AD injectors. I tow 12,000 lbs cross country and get plenty of power out of tired AD injectors, advanced turbo and a Hydra tuner.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
What Sous said. I'd get that Stage 1 idea out of your head unless you want to go down the path of "this for this for this". Stock ones are more than enough to tow anything you would want to. I own a 13k toyhauler and have hauled 20k of livestock with no issues.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 PM
1leg
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
What Sous said. I'd get that Stage 1 idea out of your head unless you want to go down the path of "this for this for this". Stock ones are more than enough to tow anything you would want to. I own a 13k toyhauker an shave hauled 20k of livestock with no issues.
I'm hoping I don't have to do injectors anytime soon, I will for sure do my research first and get advice. Truck is at around 293000 and as long as I keep the oil changed and use some sticktion elimination additive I don't have any issues with start-up and runs smooth. Don't worry no plans to do any injectors without input form the FTE crew. Thanks again guys,

Old 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by 1leg
I'm hoping I don't have to do injectors anytime soon, I will for sure do my research first and get advice. Truck is at around 293000 and as long as I keep the oil changed and use some sticktion elimination additive I don't have any issues with start-up and runs smooth. Don't worry no plans to do any injectors without input form the FTE crew. Thanks again guys,
Well, I'll add to this and say that stiction is not an issue with 7.3 injectors. That is strictly a 6.0 issue. Save your money AND your injectors by just using a good oil and changing every 5k. Additives do not play well with the 7.3 HEUI system. What you can do is a hot torque. They can get a tad unseated over time. Idle engine up to temp, torque each one to 140 INCH pounds. You'll notice a difference. Check the oil spouts for output during idle with the valve covers off. That's a decent indicator to see how each one is firing.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:43 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
AC 160/0 is a "stock" international injector.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 PM
1leg
Senior User
Truck is running great, I'm trying to get through the current tank of fuel that started this recent repair. Currently at 1/4 tank.

Installed a Bilstein front steering dampener part # 24-158848. Looks good haven't driven yet, replaced a worn out pro comps. Guy a 4wd part tried to up sale me to a dual shock version. Told him it was a stock truck with stock size tires. He said I would be back because it will do nothing but pull to one side. Then asked if I ever install 1 before, I said a few.

Ordered new front shocks, Bilstein 5100 part# 33-187297 off Amazon should be here Wednesday, Truck has pro comp 2" level spring on the front that are worn out. Looking into some custom springs for the front.

I will be going on a 300 mile round trip next weekend. So the plan this weekend is to do a transmission flush and front diff gear oil change. For trans fluid I'm going with Valvoline max life. Front diff is getting store brand Synthetic.

I was able to finally adjust my speedometer using the Forscan program.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 PM
1leg
Senior User
Got the transmission flushed and front diff fluid changed yesterday. While I had the transmission pan off to change the filter I torqued all the valve body bolts.I would say all the bolt were loose a couple took more then 1 turn to torque. I also removed and sold the ladder rack and toolbox.

Went on a 50 mile test drive up the freeway with a couple of good climbs. Transmission temps never got over 145 and the shifting seems to be greatly improved. While climbing 1 hill I got on it pretty hard and that is when the transmission temp climbed to 145. after coming over the top I slowed down to 65mph and the temps dropped down to about 141 within a few minutes.I'm not sure how accurate the torque pro app is but it said I was getting 24mpg

Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 AM
1leg
Senior User
Truck ran great on my trip this weekend. I was not towing or hauling anything just driving up to El Miarge lake bed to crew for friends land speed car. it was around 278 round trip and didn't quite use a half tank guess is it got around 15 gallon. So that is around 18mpg, not bad as I drove 75+ all the way there.
Tranmission got to around 169 in traffic.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 PM
1leg
Senior User
Hydra tuner from RiffRaff Installed 10/30/2019, So far the 65 sipper tune is the best DD mode.Would prefer a 40 hp sipper. Transmission shifts much better.

Installed a 6637 filter using my K&N intake. Seems to work together fine. No noticeable sound or performance noticed on a drive through town.I want to build a custom box to enclose the filter.

Quick Reply: 1Legs 2001 F250 CCSB 4wd/Auto build thread