2001 Ford Escape hood latch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 Ford Escape hood latch

Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 PM
New User

Kayleen Jenkins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arrow 2001 Ford Escape hood latch

Hey all!
I just purchased a used 2001 Ford Escape XLS, its pretty good and every issue I've found I can fix myself, however the hood release inside the car doesn't work. I can easily lift the hood open, just need to lift the latch under the hood and its up. I feel pressure on it when I use the in-car release like normal, but it never pops open. The front is banged up a bit, but nothing too bad. I think the previous owner ran into a wooden fence post or something on a ranch. Does anyone know what I can check to get it to not open easily without having to get in the car and unlock it? Or would I need to consider getting another hood?
So basically I want to make the in-car hood release work again, so the passerby can't just pop the hood open and take anything from under it.
I appreciate the help!

Last edited by Kayleen Jenkins; 12-29-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added more information.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Senior User

simonsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
You shouldnt drive with only the safety catch working - the hood can fly up onto the windscreen while driving. The safety catch doesnt even hold the hood fully closed...

Without a better description or seeing what the problem is its difficult to suggest what needs fixing but have you lifted the hood 12in and dropped it, does it then latch?

If the front has been impacted at all then the latch may be out of line a little or a large amount, impossible to tell over the internet...
Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 AM
New User

I do need to pry the hood open, I think easily was the wrong word. I'll get some pictures when I get off work, it does shut like normal and the latch under the hood always needs to be lifted to open it all the way.
But I'll get some pictures after work this morning
Old 12-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Senior User

got2bjoester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FWIW:
My 2002 had a similar issue - it ends up the bottom of the support that goes from the latch down to the frame at the bottom of the radiator was rusted through and out leaving the support hanging. When the hood closed to the point of almost latching, the bottom of the support would swing enough to prevent the latch from ever doing its job. This left the hood only closed by the safety catch, much like yours. I'm not saying you have the same issue, but it's worth a look.
Open the hood and see if the support can be moved . My fix until we traded it for a newer one was to reach under the front anf hold the support while closing the hood. It didn't take much, but it wouldn't latch on its own when the bottom of the support was allowed to move.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 AM
New User

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out once it gets above freezing The safety latch does catch every time, I'll see if i see something else under there.
Here's a picture of the damage on the front (no other dings on the hood, just where its pictured) , not very bad near the hood like I said. And its just frost along the top.

(Regular link in case it doesn't work) Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Senior User

Could also be the alignment of the latch itself.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Senior User

simonsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Doesn't look like the hood is shutting fully to me.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Senior User

Based on The single photo alone, the damage shown could mean the upper radiator strut has moved slightly. This would change the alignment of the latch and could easily make the hood fail to close properly. Any body mechanic should be able to properly diagnose this and come up with the right fix.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm confused...

The will or will not close all the way?

I read as this if it does close and once closed the hood release i sode the cabin does not work.