6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

who has used their ESP and a service question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who has used their ESP and a service question?

Hey Fellas, I have two questions I figure I would put into one thread instead of two.

I just did a trip down to Boca Rotan which was about 1,300 miles round trip. On the way back I hit the 60k mark on my '15 I have been going back and forth on the purchase of an ESP, last year before I hit the 36k mark I really looked at them but decided to hold off. I drive about 30k a year so I rack up miles pretty fast. I need to really do something towards the end of 2017 so I am looking now. Its hard to say If I will trade up to a 2017 or '18 right now. Lots of factors go into that decision and the biggest one is how well work is going. To date I have not really had any issues, I did have the regen engine rattle issue and I got the software update and I have not had any problems for months. My driver side TED has gone bad so no heated or cooled seat but I will fix that myself, just haven't got to it. The truck has been rock solid otherwise. As many have stated and this has been talked about a lot, these trucks are very expensive to fix when they break. So I need to really consider buying an ESP if I don't trade up and I have to make that decision in the next 6-8 months.

so my question; Who has purchased an ESP and have you used it? Have you been happy with your purchase? Any problem with the coverage you bought versus the repair needed?

My second question is a service question, since I just hit 60k I am going to change the front and rear diff fluid and trans. I only plan to do a drain and fill on the trans and replace the filter if its serviceable.

Does anyone know the capacity of simply dropping the pan and changing the filter?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
You can download a copy of your owner manual's here. They will give you info on the type of fluids and the capacities.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...h-results.html

The pan itself holds approx 9 quarts.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:46 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I am about to use mine. I found my radiator leaking last week, called dealer and they ordered one. He called back when it came in to schedule and said it will be covered under esp, with $100 deductible. I paid like $1800 for 125k and 3 year extension. my 2015 is at $75k now.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
You can download a copy of your owner manual's here. They will give you info on the type of fluids and the capacities.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...h-results.html

The pan itself holds approx 9 quarts.
Thanks, I did look in my manual but didn't see anything that said a "pain drain" just the total capacity. Do you know if it has a standard serviceable filter?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by zeroo
I am about to use mine. I found my radiator leaking last week, called dealer and they ordered one. He called back when it came in to schedule and said it will be covered under esp, with $100 deductible. I paid like $1800 for 125k and 3 year extension. my 2015 is at $75k now.
Ok cool, thats about a $1,200 radiator from what I hear so it almost paid for it right there. Did you buy your ESP when you bought the truck new from the dealer? I have been looking at the Floodford plans and I would probably get the one like you have

Old 12-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The diesel supplement manual show the transmission filter to be replaced at 150,000 miles.

Fill the transmission through the transmission fluid filler tube.

If ONLY the transmission fluid drain plug or pan was removed, add 7.8 L (8.2 qt.) of transmission fluid.

If the main control was removed, add 9.7 L (10.2 qt.) of transmission fluid.

If the transmission was removed and disassembled, add 15.3 L (16.2 qt.) of transmission fluid.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my truck used the PO had bought FMPP & ESP, cost me 100$ea to transfer. I got a few oil & filter changes out of the FMPP. The ESP covered tq converter & flywheel, vac pump seal & mirrors, they wouldn't do the brakes because they said they weren't worn enough. Another dealer told me they would have done them but it had expired by then. Unfortunately my rad didn't fail (yet) and no exh valve issue (yet). I've been touching a lot of wood lately

Old 12-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I had my door latch assembly replaced under the extended warranty, no issues at all and I bought it online so I was expecting to have to show the dealer that I had it, but when I showed up it was already in the system.

So far that is all I needed, so far it's worked.

Leon

Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Good luck getting an ESP with 60k on the clock. I was told I couldn't buy an ESP after the 3/36k was up. In other words if you are 2 years old with 360001 miles or over 3 years old, you couldn't buy Ford's ESP warranty.

I've taken advantage of the ESP several times, even before my 3/36k was up, because the 3/36 doesn't give you a rental, but my ESP did. And in some cases I more than used the value of the ESP in just rental cars.

Without a crystal ball telling us what and when your next repairs bills are going to be, it's a crap shoot as to whether it's "worth it" or not. I decided I like this truck enough to keep it for up to 6 years (I usually trade in around 3, I've traded in at 2 if I was having problems) so I bought a warranty to get me to 6 years and I have relative peace of mind that I won't have a huge expense coming my way. I can tell you that if I had to pay Florida regulated insurance prices (MSRP) I would have passed, but because I moved to Alaska and I could pay Flood Ford pricing which is about 50% less, I pulled the trigger and got it.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Good luck getting an ESP with 60k on the clock. I was told I couldn't buy an ESP after the 3/36k was up. In other words if you are 2 years old with 360001 miles or over 3 years old, you couldn't buy Ford's ESP warranty.

I've taken advantage of the ESP several times, even before my 3/36k was up, because the 3/36 doesn't give you a rental, but my ESP did. And in some cases I more than used the value of the ESP in just rental cars.

Without a crystal ball telling us what and when your next repairs bills are going to be, it's a crap shoot as to whether it's "worth it" or not. I decided I like this truck enough to keep it for up to 6 years (I usually trade in around 3, I've traded in at 2 if I was having problems) so I bought a warranty to get me to 6 years and I have relative peace of mind that I won't have a huge expense coming my way. I can tell you that if I had to pay Florida regulated insurance prices (MSRP) I would have passed, but because I moved to Alaska and I could pay Flood Ford pricing which is about 50% less, I pulled the trigger and got it.
I don’t want to wrongly confirm or deny this, but you can get clarification on ESP Sales here or by calling Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Sales at 1-877-794-6434, Dakster.

Deysha

Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
I don’t want to wrongly confirm or deny this, but you can get clarification on ESP Sales here or by calling Ford Protect Extended Service Plan Sales at 1-877-794-6434, Dakster.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha... I'm good for now. I have the ESP I want on my 2015 - just sharing my experience on my 2011, where no matter what I tried I couldn't get a Ford ESP on it, which was fine, it tipped the scales in my mind that getting a new truck was the right thing to do.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Doug913
Senior User
I just got my 2011 f350 back from ford after 5.5 weeks for the exploded hpfp. My ford esp did pick up the tab but it wasn't quick. So for me I glad I had it even if it was slow in getting the approval for the fix. Mine runs out in Feb and i believe I can still extend it longer.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:19 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
Ok cool, thats about a $1,200 radiator from what I hear so it almost paid for it right there. Did you buy your ESP when you bought the truck new from the dealer? I have been looking at the Floodford plans and I would probably get the one like you have
I bough mine at around 30k from the dealer I bought truck from. It's the closest thing they had to the original 36k.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:13 PM
montey2005
Senior User
I've used mine for both the DEF tank and pump along with fuel/air sensor both over 1k, I paid $100 deductible.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Sounds like some good experiences. I will have to call that number to get clarification on if I can buy an ESP with 60k on the truck. I was under the impression that I could still buy a power train ESP anytime before the factory 100k or 5 years. If that's not the case then that's sucks and I should have bought before 36k when I was looking at them.

Quick Reply: who has used their ESP and a service question?