2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Power Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Running Boards

Hello there, I just found this forum and appreciate all the info everyone shares.

I have a 2017 F250 KR that came with fixed running boards and am interested in putting power running boards on to replace them. I have seen it mentioned in a couple threads about the AMP power running boards being a good product, they are an option for me, but does anyone know for sure if the OEM power running boards from Ford can be added after the fact so that they tie into the truck's computer as if they came on the truck from the factory? I wasn't sure if the hook up's are there on the harness and such if the truck did not come with them from the factory and if the computer would see them after being plugged in if the hook up's were there.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would assume it would work for the OEM Running Boards. These running boards are AMP Steps with a Ford Factory Wiring Harness, and I am told it is a cleaner setup than the AMP Wiring.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amp step is a better product. The brackets are beefier, they offer lighting, and an XL model for people with a 4" - 6" lift. The step drops down lower allowing easier use. Also for people who live in snow country Amp offers a step with 2 drive motors on each side to power through heavy snow/mud. Ford only has one motor per side. The AMP step can be wired in to up fitter switch so you can leave them always open/closed or auto switch with doors.

All that being said I have the Ford step only cause its a less expensive option when ordered from the factory. However if I ever lift my truck to the point where I need the AMP XL step I will be switching over. I am waiting on the AMP bed step for the 2017 truck. I spoke to them last week and they told me its coming very soon. They are more focused on getting the last orders of the year out and EOY inventory. Should be available by the end of Jan. though.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:37 AM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joneser5000
Amp step is a better product. The brackets are beefier, they offer lighting, and an XL model for people with a 4" - 6" lift. The step drops down lower allowing easier use. Also for people who live in snow country Amp offers a step with 2 drive motors on each side to power through heavy snow/mud. Ford only has one motor per side. The AMP step can be wired in to up fitter switch so you can leave them always open/closed or auto switch with doors.

All that being said I have the Ford step only cause its a less expensive option when ordered from the factory. However if I ever lift my truck to the point where I need the AMP XL step I will be switching over. I am waiting on the AMP bed step for the 2017 truck. I spoke to them last week and they told me its coming very soon. They are more focused on getting the last orders of the year out and EOY inventory. Should be available by the end of Jan. though.
That's good info. But other than road grime, I haven't had any issues with mine. And FYI the Ford ones can be left in Auto, or OFF, or Down through the settings on the dash.

ysgi

Old 12-27-2016, 11:43 AM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Originally Posted by ysgi
That's good info. But other than road grime, I haven't had any issues with mine. And FYI the Ford ones can be left in Auto, or OFF, or Down through the settings on the dash.

ysgi
Thats what I wanted to achieve, if possible. Just seems more seamless to use the built in controls if available.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM
BigJoeT
Senior User

Thanks for the info. I have a light on my fixed running boards now, do the power versions from Ford not have a light?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 AM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My platinum does not have a light on the boards, but there are so many other lights that they really don't need them. IMO

Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 AM
AllGoNShow
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No light on my powers, but the mirror "puddle light" lights up everything.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:48 AM
BigJoeT
Senior User
My platinum does not have a light on the boards, but there are so many other lights that they really don't need them. IMO
Originally Posted by AllGoNShow
No light on my powers, but the mirror "puddle light" lights up everything.
True, good points.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
And FYI the Ford ones can be left in Auto, or OFF, or Down through the settings on the dash.

ysgi
Yes, the point I was trying to make is that you can wire the AMP steps to do the same thing, only on an outfitter switch rather than the on board computer. Its probably easier to throw a switch than to go through your computer setting trying to find where the setting is.

That being said. Yesterday I opened my driver door and deployed the running board. I then drove with the door open about 50 yards in our parking lot and and the running board retracted after I hit a set trigger speed. Amp's step can't do that. It startled me a bit as I had my left foot resting on the running board and it caught me off guard.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:23 PM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Yes, the point I was trying to make is that you can wire the AMP steps to do the same thing, only on an outfitter switch rather than the on board computer. Its probably easier to throw a switch than to go through your computer setting trying to find where the setting is.

That being said. Yesterday I opened my driver door and deployed the running board. I then drove with the door open about 50 yards in our parking lot and and the running board retracted after I hit a set trigger speed. Amp's step can't do that. It startled me a bit as I had my left foot resting on the running board and it caught me off guard.
AMP provides those wiring instructions? I would dig that much more than the normal method.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigJoeT
AMP provides those wiring instructions? I would dig that much more than the normal method.
that I am not sure. I would assume they do but you know what happens when we start assuming. My guess is the power runs through the outfitter switch and the activation runs through cab light switch on the doors. You are going to need the advise from someone who actually installed one this way or try calling Amp direct and see what their customer service tells you.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:02 PM
fdny136
Junior User
I bought the amps and installed on my lariat.Called amp Tech and they Didnt know about integrating the steps into factory wiring.so I used the amp wiring

Old 12-27-2016, 04:06 PM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Originally Posted by fdny136
I bought the amps and installed on my lariat.Called amp Tech and they Didnt know about integrating the steps into factory wiring.so I used the amp wiring
Thank you. I just got a call back from my dealer. Their tech called ford and they say you can only get them when the truck is built, they cannot be added on later. Looks like AMP steps are the way to go.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 PM
AllGoNShow
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJoeT
Thank you. I just got a call back from my dealer. Their tech called ford and they say you can only get them when the truck is built, they cannot be added on later. Looks like AMP steps are the way to go.
Eventually you will likely be able to retrofit them once parts become available. I can always look at how mine plug in and see if you guys who didn't get it equipped have a harness hiding somewhere, then it might just be a matter of programming the module to turn the feature on as there seems to be some options around FORscan for running boards.

Quick Reply: Power Running Boards